• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer Beware: Men's Adventures #14 on eBay
2 2

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Archival tape is considered restoration though. Also who’s Mark Wilson?

A comic book restoration guy from back in the day who was eventually vilified for monkeying with books and not disclosing his work because he didn’t consider it to be “restoration.” At one point his reputation became so egregious, he left ebay and then returned selling slabbed comics only.

He has had numerous AKA’s on eBay, you can probably guess why.

He marketed the Rockford collection.

His progeny, at least some of them, are ebay sellers who also manipulate books (e.g., the infamous reverse spine roll technique).

Now he works for Heritage as part of their staff, you can see his picture in their catalogs. Go figure.

26 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

A comic book restoration guy from back in the day who was eventually vilified for monkeying with books and not disclosing his work because he didn’t consider it to be “restoration.” At one point his reputation became so egregious, he left ebay and then returned selling slabbed comics only.

His progeny, at least some of them, are ebay sellers who also manipulate books (e.g., the infamous reverse spine roll technique).

Now he works for Heritage as part of their staff, you can see his picture in their catalogs. Go figure.

Wow! Shady character from the sound of it. I wonder if one of his progeny is the EBay seller Kellssuperheroes. He restores everything!

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Matt Wilson's brother, too?

Is that correct, Steve?

37 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Now he works for Heritage as part of their staff, you can see his picture in their catalogs. Go figure

He no longer shows up in the Heritage website org chart

They got rid of him cause of the tainted rep ?

Thats a great book and some great detective work.  But I'm not following the outrage.   So it seems that he pressed and cleaned it and taped the cover back on? So the issue that he is claiming no repairs while simultaneously pointing out that there's tape?  I'd totally buy that book for $38- except I don't buy books with rust on the staples- which he doesn't show in his photos.  That's one of the standard questions I ask all sellers- is there any rust or staining  on the staples.

I mean, he def pressed it. I guess him saying nothing has been done to it is the lie. Lots of sellers do this....press a book or "claim" it original owner or belonged to their brother. Basically, feign stupidity to make it seem like you could get a good deal on a novice seller or potentially improve the book's appearance yourself if you bought it. I mean, the pictures tell most of the story, the book is clearly still in the 3.0-3.5 range for me anyway regardless of what Mark Wilson did to it.