• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 trimmed pages
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have a couple trimmed pages from Batman #1. How can i verify that they are legit? Ive read here that the inking is def different on the reprints...How many reprints were there?  What id like to do is at least compare them to every reprint.

received_725105194910326.jpeg

received_676232829603136.jpeg

When comparing it to a Famous Firsts reprint you can see the inking differences, mostly in the overrunning of pinks shown on the originals...Here i have a pic of the same page that was verified by CGC.

Screenshot_20200617-230427_Imgur.jpg

received_290570138797484.jpeg

Edited by BenF

16 minutes ago, BenF said:

When comparing it to a Famous Firsts reprint you can see the inking differences, mostly in the overrunning of pinks shown on the originals...Here i have a pic of the same page that was verified by CGC.

Screenshot_20200617-230427_Imgur.jpg

received_290570138797484.jpeg

Good catches. Maybe it is legit. I wonder if there were reprints other than the FFE? But I mean you make some good comparisons with that graded page! Maybe it’s just an exceptional page quality.

14 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t know if they are legit, but they are whiter than I would expect. Somebody else is gonna have to jump in here. Hey @bluechip, do you know?

I actually had those in the past from a near complete coverless book obtained from an old time collector who seemed legit and had bought them several decades prior.  Remnants of ancient scotch tape were on some edges but easily peeled off.  Some outer pages had brittleness and inner pages seemed slightly better.  Obviously the FFE pages are larger.  There was a smaller sized reprint maybe 15 years ago but the paper is different.  It felt and feels clear to me these are real but I can understand if somebody, even a grader, isn't sure at first.  

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

I actually had those in the past from a near complete coverless book obtained from an old time collector who seemed legit and had bought them several decades prior.  Remnants of ancient scotch tape were on some edges but easily peeled off.  Some outer pages had brittleness and inner pages seemed slightly better.  Obviously the FFE pages are larger.  There was a smaller sized reprint maybe 15 years ago but the paper is different.  It felt and feels clear to me these are real but I can understand if somebody, even a grader, isn't sure at first.  

You had these exact pages? I can’t be understanding this right. These pages are far from brittle. They appear to be bright white. 

but I recognize your expertise surpasses my own. Just trying to understand.

you think these pages appear legit, right?

20 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You had these exact pages? I can’t be understanding this right. These pages are far from brittle. They appear to be bright white. 

but I recognize your expertise surpasses my own. Just trying to understand.

you think these pages appear legit, right?

These look like pages I once had.  The odd cut of that one page is something I remember.  While some inner pages were nicer than others I don't think any of the pages were unusually "bright white" and I am sure if they had been it would've given me pause.   I've had other "loose page" key stories and found it pretty easy to tell fakes from the real thing.   Not sure if the picture makes them seem better than they are but I don't think if you saw them all together, as I had, you would've thought those pages were better to a strange degree.  The pages were all essentially solid but some on the outside were chipped and brittle at the edges, mostly, from what I could tell, due to the glue from tape residue.  I've seen many books over the years with old scotch tape on them, so I know when the tape has had decades to degrade to the point you could remove it easily without removing paper, and I saw the same on the pages from this book.      

FYI here's a pic of the first page, which is one of those I kept.   You can see the weathered edges and residual tape.  It was even worse on the last pages, indicating this was coverless for years before it was taped and that many years elapsed after it was taped and trimmed.  The white areas on all the pages had essentially the same level of whiteness (off white or so)  

Splash.jpg