• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cameron Stewart Art
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Curious on whether people will hold on to Cameron Stewart's art, or. try to quickly offload it, after the news in the last day or two?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-drops-cameron-stewart-comic-after-harassment-allegations/

Does this sort of story taint the art you have, especially as he was previously a sought after artist?

There are music acts who's tracks I still listen to after various allegations that have tarnished their reputation, so wondered if people felt the same way re their art collections, or have banished the pages to the back of a folder?

Edited by Lorne.T

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

What was the issue ??

Thanks for asking :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Jones

Evidently that stuff makes the book unbuyable and thus unreadable.

I think it's one of the greatest books on the early history of National/DC there is. But to each their own ;)

There isn't a hint anywhere of that stuff so...???

Me, I separate the art from the artist, not into cancel culture.

Edited by vodou
clarity

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

Thanks for asking :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Jones

Evidently that stuff makes the book unbuyable and thus unreadable.

I think it's one of the greatest books on the early history of National/DC there is. But to each their own ;)

There isn't a hint anywhere of that stuff so...???

Me, I separate the art from the artist, not into cancel culture.

Sorry....

What is the link between Gerard Jones
and Cameron Stewart?

This is somewhat reminiscent of the stink surrounding the artwork of Ardian Syaf (not content, but impact) and the anti-Semitic hidden messages it contained. This happened in 2017 and apparently sunk his career. I rarely see his art for sale, but if anyone knows, has it affected the price of his work?

If anyone has pages from his Phantom Stranger 42 for sale, feel free to let me know.

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

This is somewhat reminiscent of the stink surrounding the artwork of Ardian Syaf (not content, but impact) and the anti-Semitic hidden messages it contained.

I'd argue that's notably different in that the "artist and the art" were one there, with the "act" present in the "art" itself. Cameron and Gerard...if their "acts" were in their "art" I'd expect most and myself to have a very different take on the "art".

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I'd argue that's notably different in that the "artist and the art" were one there, with the "act" present in the "art" itself. Cameron and Gerard...if their "acts" were in their "art" I'd expect most and myself to have a very different take on the "art".

I was looking for an analogous situation, and the closest I came up with was that (aside from private stories about sexual harassment, which was apparently not uncommon). 

Has he been convicted or are people already burning him without a trial? I have a sketch from him that I bought from ebay and don't plan on letting it go just because someone is claiming to have been wronged by him. I like the piece of art I already have but would think twice on supporting new work if allegations would be proved to be truthful.

CameronStewart_Rorscharch.jpg

I think that’s a fair position. He is a talented artist. I don’t know how far this is going to go concerning Cameron legally. It might be left to the court of public opinion. 

I wouldn’t expect any reasonable person  to “unload” their art to circumvent “investment” loss. He’s an excellent artist. That’s a great piece you have. I think prudence and deliberate patience is required in these days and times.

Its seems too easy today to emotionally respond quickly; Tear it down! Remove it! Blacklist! 

I don’t want to be led by the tail every time an allegation is brought up. Even if due process is not the right term in this situation, in my heart and mind I expect every situation where a human being is accused, be examined carefully on each side. I would not want my career to come to an end on allegations. 

l don’t want to take this down a rabbit hole but I just watched 3 documentaries about The West Memphis 3. It’s scary how easy it is in our society to be accused. Once you’re stained it’s hard to get it off and the consequences can be devastating.

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

I don’t know how far this is going to go concerning Cameron legally. It might be left to the court of public opinion. 

I've only read the single source cited by OP, but if that's the extent re: "age", I'll remind everyone...

image.thumb.png.37e4c09e5777a02c8a457144541a4b84.png

with this grey area interpretive twist...

image.thumb.png.41c72b0bba44d65d70922a115c5079fe.png

None of that means you have to like it, but law enforcement procedure requires a line in the sand and in Canada it's 16.

According to this, Germany's line in the sand is 14. That may or may not have been a consideration for Cameron's relocation there from Canada?

And for what it's worth, this is the global "(in) heat map" re: Age of Consent:

image.thumb.png.e57351553e0004b708b6a71f996a47d0.png

If you are red-green color blind and wish you could read the legend on this map, don't worry. I am not color blind and am having difficulties.;)

Interesting that must be married can be seen as both highly conservative (in the US it would be) and highly exploitative. 

4 hours ago, theflashunc said:

Plenty of non-creeps out there who draw good. Life's too exhausting to the do the mental gymnastics to continue supporting those who are.  

I hear that but with the admonition that: nobody is a creep until they're caught/exposed.

Last month Cameron's 'fame' was only as an exceptionally popular (and pricey) contemporary Big Two artist. It's funny how the 'creep' stories often only come out after the person has moved afar or passed away. More to chew on tru-fans: Forry Ackerman, Julie Schwartz, Arthur C. Clarke, Marion Zimmer Bradley anyone?

I'm sure that for some the stories about Cameron Stuart will taint his art and for some they will not. Both are reasonable reactions, IMO.

Same goes for Gerard Jones' books (Men of Tomorrow is terrific) and comics.

My decision was that I would not buy from them, but I won't get rid of what I own. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:54 AM, Lorne.T said:

Curious on whether people will hold on to Cameron Stewart's art, or. try to quickly offload it, after the news in the last day or two?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-drops-cameron-stewart-comic-after-harassment-allegations/

Does this sort of story taint the art you have, especially as he was previously a sought after artist?

There are music acts who's tracks I still listen to after various allegations that have tarnished their reputation, so wondered if people felt the same way re their art collections, or have banished the pages to the back of a folder?

I collect artwork for the art, I do not care about the personality of the artist. If he or she is a nice person, complete a s s h o l e or sexual harasser. I don't buy just nice guy art, I separate the artist from the art.

Edited by Brian Peck

48 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I collect artwork for the art, I do not care about the personality of the artist. If he or she is a nice person, complete individual_without_enough_empathy or sexual harasser. I don't buy just nice guy art, I separate the artist from the art.

I can understand that but it’s difficult for many to get past that.