• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do? Help
1 1

14 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Jordan Morris said:

So I sent in my Ultimate Fallout #4 sealed in the poly bag not knowing they wouldn’t open it. To CGC it. What should I do to let them know they can open it so they’ll CGC it?

no worries - CGC will open it and discard the bag.

Also, you can always contact their customer service or try the 'Ask CGC' forum.

You didn't ask but I'll mention it just in case. 

Ultimate Fallout 4 in the polybag had the polybag seamed right down the middle of the back cover. Vertically. It leaves an indent  in the back cover of the entire length of the book.  Every time. Sometimes there is even a faint indent in the front cover from the book sitting in a stack of Ultimate Fallout 4's while being shipped first to Diamond and then to comic book stores. Collectors tend to think of books polybagged at the printer as especially well protected. But with this book it is just the opposite.  Because of where the seam is at, all books get an indent. 

So you would be wise to call CGC. Not about removing the bag. But about getting the book sent over to CCS for pressing.  And you don't have much time if you want to do this. .  CGC is grading moderns pretty fast right now and once the book is in the grading room - and maybe just scheduled for grading - you will not be able to make any changes like sending to CCS. 

Welcome to the boards. 

Edited by Tony S

Hi.

Hope you don't mind, but I have a similar query - my UF4 came back today as an 8.0 - I wish I knew then about the polybag crease, since I would have definitely sent it for pressing - I can see the crease now clear as day. My question is, what would be a likely grade bump,having this polybag crease flattened out? Assuming no other flaws, which I really can't see, would a polybag crease be responsible for taking say a 9.6 or 9.8 all the way down to 8.0? lesson learnt, which was a price worth paying I guess :)

8 minutes ago, kasharic said:

Hi.

Hope you don't mind, but I have a similar query - my UF4 came back today as an 8.0 - I wish I knew then about the polybag crease, since I would have definitely sent it for pressing - I can see the crease now clear as day. My question is, what would be a likely grade bump,having this polybag crease flattened out? Assuming no other flaws, which I really can't see, would a polybag crease be responsible for taking say a 9.6 or 9.8 all the way down to 8.0? lesson learnt, which was a price worth paying I guess :)

I would say start by looking at the grader notes to see what issues the book have.  My guess is theres more than that problem to go from an 8.0 to a 9.6.

Grader's notes are

CGC Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

I can't see anything at all that looks colour breaking. Are 'light' creasing those that typically can be pressed, or are the notes too subjective to say? e.g. would the notes have said "heavy creasing" if the creasing was colour breaking?

1 hour ago, kasharic said:

Grader's notes are

CGC Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover

I can't see anything at all that looks colour breaking. Are 'light' creasing those that typically can be pressed, or are the notes too subjective to say? e.g. would the notes have said "heavy creasing" if the creasing was colour breaking?

Many times, the grader notes will actually use the term "breaks color" for a color breaking crease. All these notes indicate there are few, if any, color breaks involved. And you're right, light creasing usually indicates it will press out...

12 hours ago, kasharic said:

Grader's notes are

CGC Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover

With this particular book, one has to take into account that the indent (one could call it light creasing) is the entire length of the book. Ten inches long. So yes, it could indeed cause a large drop in grade. 

if pressing removes the light bends and light creasing to cover, I have seen lots of 9.6's with "light spine stress lines". Probably some 9.8's have such - but CGC almost never lists grading notes for 9.8. Which personally I believe is proper and support. Listing tiny defects on 9.8's in grading notes serves no purpose except to cause buyers to question if it is actually, really and truly a  9.8. But I digress....

Get your 8.0 pressed and regraded. You will be glad you did. 

4 minutes ago, Tony S said:

With this particular book, one has to take into account that the indent (one could call it light creasing) is the entire length of the book. Ten inches long. So yes, it could indeed cause a large drop in grade. 

if pressing removes the light bends and light creasing to cover, I have seen lots of 9.6's with "light spine stress lines". Probably some 9.8's have such - but CGC almost never lists grading notes for 9.8. Which personally I believe is proper and support. Listing tiny defects on 9.8's in grading notes serves no purpose except to cause buyers to question if it is actually, really and truly a  9.8. But I digress....

Get your 8.0 pressed and regraded. You will be glad you did. 

Thank you so much - this was my first submission, so not having this pressed was a rookie error - will look forward to having it re-submitted :)

7 hours ago, manofsteel said:

Afaik, once the book is originally logged into CGC, no changes can be made. Maybe it's different now, but that's how it was a cpl years ago. 

Maybe it varies based on who you talk to at CGC. Maybe CGC has changed policies. But I have made changes to tiers or services with books CGC has received. I'm certain once books are in the grading room it is too late. And I know I've made changes when the status was received. I can't say about the "scheduled for grading" status. 

It only takes a minute to send the email and find out. It's worth the attempt. Because I guarantee you that book has an indent down the middle of the back cover. An indent you don't see until it comes out of the polybag. 

6 hours ago, Tony S said:

Maybe it varies based on who you talk to at CGC. Maybe CGC has changed policies. But I have made changes to tiers or services with books CGC has received. I'm certain once books are in the grading room it is too late. And I know I've made changes when the status was received. I can't say about the "scheduled for grading" status. 

I've definitely tried, and so has a friend of mine. You're probably right though. It depends on who you talk to, and their mood for the day, lol... Just like the grading.