• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are superhero Funko Pops the Beanie Babies of our generation?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

it is different - as you have real characters versus just made up names in Beanie Babies. Licensed products have more staying power imo.

I've never owned one but they are also a lot more interesting to me. They seem like they will always have a place in so many types of collections.

True but they are definitely 'manufactured collectibles' and they follow the beanie baby model of keeping certain ones rare.

I will support any thread from the great kav. I hate funk pops. Friend talked me into getting some. I got into them for a month and then totally regretted buying them. So now years later I have 20 or so of these ugly worthless things, didn't buy any limited special store exclusive editions. I love statues, they can look great and display them like art. Funkos are hideous lil dwarf cheap made things. We will be seeing this at flea markets for a buck or 2 for decades and decades in between the cds, 20 year old John madden football games, and the $1 knive tv pocket knives that someone is trying to sell for $10 or $20. Maybe sprinkle in some foakley's.

38 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I will support any thread from the great kav. I hate funk pops. Friend talked me into getting some. I got into them for a month and then totally regretted buying them. So now years later I have 20 or so of these ugly worthless things, didn't buy any limited special store exclusive editions. I love statues, they can look great and display them like art. Funkos are hideous lil dwarf cheap made things. We will be seeing this at flea markets for a buck or 2 for decades and decades in between the cds, 20 year old John madden football games, and the $1 knive tv pocket knives that someone is trying to sell for $10 or $20. Maybe sprinkle in some foakley's.

Dont forget Franklin Mint!  I remember some boardie-his mom bought tons of these for a huge retirement asset.  Stunned when she was basically told none of it was worth anything.
BUT THESE ARE COLLECTIBLE!!!  IT SAYS COLLECTIBLE!!!!

I own a few funko pops but that's because they played some part in me growing up (stan lee exclusive, monkey from CoD, ian malcolm, Dracula, Eleven/Mike, and a timely human torch). I never saw them as a investment, I just liked them. I have watched people hoard them though expecting to make money and I just don't see that ever happening.

Edited by Comics181

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

it is different - as you have real characters versus just made up names in Beanie Babies. Licensed products have more staying power imo.

I've never owned one but they are also a lot more interesting to me. They seem like they will always have a place in so many types of collections.

This

I've always been tempted to buy a few but then I know i'll go down that rabbit hole and have an entire room full of them.  My wife had the same thought and she loves them but is afraid of buying one and then start the never ending buying of them.  They have appeal to collectors and the non-collector alike as well as children.  I don't see the hype going away any time soon.

I understand the comparison but they have a much greater appeal then beanie babies.  They are another way to collect your favorite characters whether they are comic book characters or pop culture figures.  As 01TheDude stated, they are actual real characters with some type of likeness associated with them that draws wider interest then a simple stuffed animal.

I do get the comparison though.  Surprisingly there are still some Beanie Babies that sell for thousands of dollars. :insane:

It's not my cup of tea, but I considered buying a couple of the GI Joe and Transformers Pops.  Then I decided against it.  Mostly because I figured it would be a slippery slope and I would end up trying to buy them all like Chinpokomon figures.  My friend is super into it, however.  He tries to get the super limited ones and prototypes and has gone to some of the Pops conventions.  If that is what someone likes, then good on them for getting enjoyment out of it.  

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

i guess its a harmless collectible as long as one doesn't get carried away,,..

it beats blowing your money on hookers and blow ...:idea:

I'll agree to disagree :)

10 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

what are the "so called" valuable ones ?

There are prototype molds that Funko would raffle off or give away and a friend of mine secured a few.  After he and his wife were expecting baby #2, he auctioned them off and some were going over four figures.  I couldn't tell you specifics, but I'll shoot him a message and see if he'll shed light on it.  He has a CGC account, just not sure if he posts here.  

They do seem to have a lot of people who collect them. Heck, there is even a site or an app where you can check the supposed value on the things. I dont know enough about that and perhaps I should, because while I don't buy them personally, if I found a rare or valuable one I would def sell to someone who wanted for some good ole comic money.

Some of the figures are silly looking. Some I like. I have been gifted two, a Doc Ock and Spidey and they display nice on my wall so I kept em. At some point though, one would think they would slow down in terms of collectibility. But as long as superhero shows and movies continue to come out I feel they will be along for the ride.  

Edited by comicginger1789

I have a few just for display purposes, but I don't collect them. They're good enough for cheap little figures that I can put out in my office. With the sheer quantity of Pops that exist I couldn't even imagine trying to collect them.

17 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Myself, I don't care for the infantalized, big-head style, just like I don't like J. Scott Campbell's baby hero covers. But a lot of folks eat it up. 

I think you mean Skottie Young. 

Edited by Kon_Jelly