• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are superhero Funko Pops the Beanie Babies of our generation?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Maaaaaaaaaybe.... I said the same thing as well until it was pointed out that there are many regular releases that have value because they are retired. They were also smart enough to go for pop culture licenses to sustain their desirability.  So while, Beanie Babies focused on different pattern frogs of their own design or unicorns or bears or whatever, Funko focuses on Star Wars, Star Trek, Comic Book characters... all of which already have a collector base.    They took on properties like Harry Potter and Stranger things and Rick and Morty where people were hungry for merchandise.   The only thing that Funko is really making on their own is Freddy Funko.  All of their other products are licensed and are of properties that people were already collecting.  

So... if you were unto Beanie Babies you tried to get all the bears or all of a release or anything that was said to be valuable. If you were into Funko then you wanted the entire LOST set.  I missed the boat on Baloo the Bear which was one of the favorite Disney characters.  Funko only made one of those and the aftermarket price has increased because it is a desired piece of merchandise of a desired Disney character.  

Same as comic books in a way when you think of it.  

Same as modern variant madness which I also see as a flash in the pan manufactured collectible.

Just now, kav said:

Same as modern variant madness which I also see as a flash in the pan manufactured collectible.

Again, not really... because there are many Funko pops that were widely released and only had one version that could easily be found.  However, once they were no longer produced, the value increased as more people wanted it.   Basically demand picked up as people missed the boat.  This is not a criticism but I don't think you are familiar with collectable toys.  I guess these are a cross between comics and toys in a way. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Again, not really... because there are many Funko pops that were widely released and only had one version that could easily be found.  However, once they were no longer produced, the value increased as more people wanted it.   Basically demand picked up as people missed the boat.  This is not a criticism but I don't think you are familiar with collectable toys.  I guess these are a cross between comics and toys in a way. 

I think any collectible needs at least 40 years to determine in hindsight if it was a beanie baby hype or true valuable collectibles.  There are toys from the 60s that were thrown away and are valuable.  Manufactured collectibles are not thrown away there will always be essentially the same # as were produced minus accidental destruction.

Not really my thing.   I would rather save up and buy 1 cool Bowen mini bust, than 4-5 Funko Pops.    I was tempted to pick up the Ramones, but when I saw they didn't do a Tommy or Marky, then I decided not to.  I mean, you can't have the Ramones without a drummer! 

gabba.jpg

49 minutes ago, kav said:

I think any collectible needs at least 40 years to determine in hindsight if it was a beanie baby hype or true valuable collectibles.  There are toys from the 60s that were thrown away and are valuable.  Manufactured collectibles are not thrown away there will always be essentially the same # as were produced minus accidental destruction.

It becomes collectable by desire in this case and by the fact that people want it for their already collected collections (I know I am not wording that right)

I don't feel like taking it out right but for some reason I am fascinated by this Star Wars character.  I never had the character as a kid but as an adult I have collected all sorts of things related to him when I get the chance.  I have an original figure on card AFA graded... but I also "collected" the character and paid more for certain things after they were no longer being produced because I missed the boat.   I missed the Gentle Giant Oversized release of the Kenner figure so I paid a premium to secure one.  I bought the Funko Pop from Amazon for $8.  I opened it and threw away the box and it is now on a shelf.  However, if I missed the Funko pop release I would have gladly paid up to about $20 for it.  I like the character and wanted it. 

It's the same thing really with anything.  If you want it, and someone else has it, and you cannot get it anywhere else, then be prepared to pay a premium. 

Is the first appearance of Miles Morales not a collectable?  People were paying $1,000 each for that book in a 9.8.

Is the first appearance of Spider-Gwen a collectable?  

People want it, they aren't in production... people have got to have it.  This is basic supply and demand.

Like I said, I don't think you get toy collecting.  It's slightly different from Comic Collecting. It's a different that what you are used to with comics. For example, if you replace the staples on a comic book with new staples that is seen as restoration.  If you replace the black rubber band on a GI Joe figure that holds the figure together, even if it is a slightly different gauge, it is not only NOT seen as restoration, it is seen as necessary.   You are approaching this from a comic book collecting standpoint.  It really does not apply. 

If you miss the boat you have to pay extra to get make your way and catch up. 

Momaw_Nadon_SWCT.png

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Is the first appearance of Miles Morales not a collectable?  People were paying $1,000 each for that book in a 9.8.

We'll know in 30 years, but then again they are not manufactured collectibles but new story arc characters.

Not sure why we are debating this issue. In 30 years--- I doubt most of us will still be around to care at all.

Funko is fine--- and if people dig it, enjoy. It is really such a minor thing to concern yourself about. It's all just stuff. Collect it or don't. Think of it as an investment if you want to try that route. This is nothing new or somehow a bad thing.

If you hate them-- ignore it.

ps-- I have one item from the Franklin Mint--- a replica of Soldier Field (before the update). It is not an investment-- just a gift and a keepsake. It is pretty cool imo. And no thanks-- I don't need a Walter Payton Funko Pop. I don't even do the statues or display my comics in a comic room. I like what others do with theirs though. It is simply a matter of having your own style.

41 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

As a recovered toy collector these remind me of mighty muggs, they were hot for a minute. I still have my Stormshadow one. I wonder why these became so popular and other similar products didn’t?

I think its the comicon effect where they get a lot of exposure.

20 hours ago, camera73 said:

:roflmao:

It's all relative. I would never pay more than $20K for a car or more than $300,000 for a house - even if I were a millionaire. But with unlimited funds....I just may consider picking up an FF #1 in 9.8

Ah! First world problems!

The highest grade on record is 9.4, with last sale being $300,000. With unlimited funds, it's a snap. Next stop, Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27!

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Just modern money grab, "created collectible" dust catchers to me. But, I'm an old geezer who has a house full of vintage and antique toys, advertising signs, comic books and other junk.

These were the Funkos and Beanie Babies of my generation. They wern't created as collectibles and the sets are very finite. Dusting them consist of drunking them in the kitchen sink after my wife complains enough...

marxmarvelfigures.jpg

Who is the gold character between Daredevil and the Beast? Is that meant to be Black Bolt?

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

It becomes collectable by desire in this case and by the fact that people want it for their already collected collections (I know I am not wording that right)

I don't feel like taking it out right but for some reason I am fascinated by this Star Wars character.  I never had the character as a kid but as an adult I have collected all sorts of things related to him when I get the chance.  I have an original figure on card AFA graded... but I also "collected" the character and paid more for certain things after they were no longer being produced because I missed the boat.   I missed the Gentle Giant Oversized release of the Kenner figure so I paid a premium to secure one.  I bought the Funko Pop from Amazon for $8.  I opened it and threw away the box and it is now on a shelf.  However, if I missed the Funko pop release I would have gladly paid up to about $20 for it.  I like the character and wanted it. 

It's the same thing really with anything.  If you want it, and someone else has it, and you cannot get it anywhere else, then be prepared to pay a premium. 

People want it, they aren't in production... people have got to have it.  This is basic supply and demand.

Like I said, I don't think you get toy collecting.  It's slightly different from Comic Collecting. It's a different that what you are used to with comics. For example, if you replace the staples on a comic book with new staples that is seen as restoration.  If you replace the black rubber band on a GI Joe figure that holds the figure together, even if it is a slightly different gauge, it is not only NOT seen as restoration, it is seen as necessary.   You are approaching this from a comic book collecting standpoint.  It really does not apply. 

If you miss the boat you have to pay extra to get make your way and catch up. 

I agree completely. I purchased several rare Batman Funkos something like 5 years ago and they have appreciated significantly on account of the scarcity. 

Another very clever marketing tool is producing the same item in several colours - it creates the impression one has to have the whole set in order for it to be complete.

marvel-thanos-chrome-funko-pop-vinyl-figure-bundle-walmart-popcultcha.1588608837.png