• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are superhero Funko Pops the Beanie Babies of our generation?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

I had about 20 pops at one point and decided to sell them off before an eventual crash.  So far that hasn't happened and anything I've sold is worth more now than it was a few years ago lol.  Just like comics not all of them will ever be worth more than retail price.  Usually certain lines will be discontinued and those become highly demanded.  There's also the variant cover equivalents which is basically like 20 different versions of the same figure with minor changes and an exclusive sticker.

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

As a shop owner I have mixed opinions on Funko Pops. 

Last year they represented 17.1% of my revenue, and 21.4% of my gross margin. Previous year they were around 16% and 11% respectively but we pivoted to focusing on selling used rather than new and the margins are much higher. 

Mind you, I’m a comic shop that actively focuses on back issues. We have over 1,000 silver age out in boxes to be flipped through every day, and around 2,500 high grade bronze. The wall behind the counter has keys people actually want (current stuff includes BB28, FF52, ASM41, SPJO134, etc and we sell a couple dozen each of ASM 300 and NM98 every year). It’s a comic shop. That sells comics. 

But Funkos sell insanely well, insanely fast, and at great margins. When I post a pic on Instagram of 50 new used Funkos we just bought, I’ll have ten phone calls in the first 15 minutes asking me to hold pieces (even though every one of these customers knows we won’t hold Funkos). I’ll put out 50 used Funkos with total sticker of $1,000 and sell half of them the first day at 100% full market value. If I posted a pic of 50 comics with total sticker of $1,000, priced at full market value?Lol.

The difference of course is that when I get a stack of comics worth $250 each, I’m stoked because I know they’ll sell. The Funko Pop market for pieces over about $80 gets really squirrelly really quickly and I want nothing to do with it. We get folks offering us $200+ rare Funkos all the time and I want nothing to do with them.

Offer me a pile of $200 comics or a pile of $200 Funkos and I’m taking the comics all day. But offer me a pile of $20 comics or $20 Funkos and I’ll take the Funkos and have all of them sold in less time than it takes me to sort the comics into the boxes.

this is very interesting info. whenever i attend a big CON i am always astonished at the long lines for the places that are selling what are i gues new funkos?  i always get the impression that lots of folks want to get one so they can flip it on ebay and make $50 or whatever it is. perhaps that's just something i created in my head. but obviously many people like to collect them too. i am not a fan. my wife bought one for my son and it doesn't even stand up, the head is so large. as others here said, the fact that they are licensed characters ensures that they will have more enduring collectibilty than beanie babies. 

8 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is very interesting info. whenever i attend a big CON i am always astonished at the long lines for the places that are selling what are i gues new funkos?  i always get the impression that lots of folks want to get one so they can flip it on ebay and make $50 or whatever it is. perhaps that's just something i created in my head. but obviously many people like to collect them too. i am not a fan. my wife bought one for my son and it doesn't even stand up, the head is so large. as others here said, the fact that they are licensed characters ensures that they will have more enduring collectibilty than beanie babies. 

Con-exclusive flippers, yeah. It’s a big factor in every Con’s attendance that there are folks who have zero interest in the Con itself but have done the math and are willing to trade a day for the profits on selling stuff available at the Con. True for comics, Funkos, statues, etc.

And we DO still order various “new” Funkos. If there’s a comic movie or tv show etc, we will order a couple cases of each of the regular figures since folks will come in looking for them. But the inventory turns on used Funkos are the bees knees.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If you replace the black rubber band on a GI Joe figure that holds the figure together, even if it is a slightly different gauge, it is not only NOT seen as restoration, it is seen as necessary.

I've often wondered how toy collectors treat GI Joes that are still on the card but the rubber band has broke?

46 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I've often wondered how toy collectors treat GI Joes that are still on the card but the rubber band has broke?

I don’t place a lot of value on them to be honest.  A lot of things that the high end MOC collectors try to promote fall flat.  As they are discovering elbow cracks occur from age and pressure on the rivet and there is nothing that can be done. 

I asked this very question to one of them on FB and he refused to answer me.  Say you buy two AFA graded figures.  They are the same grade and the same eye appeal.  Make believe you paid $1,000 for each.  They are equal figures and hold equal value.

One day the rubber band snaps and the figure is a pile of parts sealed on a bubble.  If you put both figures on the shelf for the same price which one do you think will sell first?  If you say the unbroken one (and rightfully so) then why would the broken figure hold the same value? 

Every MOC Joe collector is playing with hot potato whether they care to admit it or not.  Prices will rise on unbroken figures but eventually everyone will end up with sealed parts jumbled around a bubble.  

I do not ever recommend buying MOC Joes. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I don’t place a lot of value on them to be honest.  A lot of things that the high end MOC collectors try to promote fall flat.  As they are discovering elbow cracks occur from age and pressure on the rivet and there is nothing that can be done. 

I asked this very question to one of them on FB and he refused to answer me.  Say you buy two AFA graded figures.  They are the same grade and the same eye appeal.  Make believe you paid $1,000 for each.  They are equal figures and hold equal value.

One day the rubber band snaps and the figure is a pile of parts sealed on a bubble.  If you put both figures on the shelf for the same price which one do you think will sell first?  If you say the unbroken one (and rightfully so) then why would the broken figure hold the same value? 

Every MOC Joe collector is playing with hot potato whether they care to admit it or not.  Prices will rise on unbroken figures but eventually everyone will end up with sealed parts jumbled around a bubble.  

I do not ever recommend buying MOC Joes. 

image.jpeg.85a425dfd03282bbfc2824e5d62125e7.jpeg

or Mocha Joe's, for that matter

On 6/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, 01TheDude said:

it is different - as you have real characters versus just made up names in Beanie Babies. Licensed products have more staying power imo.

I've never owned one but they are also a lot more interesting to me. They seem like they will always have a place in so many types of collections.

My family gives them to me, so I feel obligated to display them. I personally don't like them much, but I have six of em . Go figure.

Just now, oakman29 said:

My family gives them to me, so I feel obligated to display them. I personally don't like them much, but I have six of em . Go figure.

Be careful. My dad once got a present of a wall hanging of Light Houses that he put up in his office. Before he knew it, he had 100s of light house gifts. Every time I visited his office I was like-- "what's the deal?" and he just said "people think I like Light houses I guess". When he moved to a new office later on-- he made a point of never displaying another light house and got rid of all of them. LOL

Though I imagine the POPs you have are at least somewhat fun as a collector.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:
2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Be careful. My dad once got a present of a wall hanging of Light Houses that he put up in his office. Before he knew it, he had 100s of light house gifts. Every time I visited his office I was like-- "what's the deal?" and he just said "people think I like Light houses I guess". When he moved to a new office later on-- he made a point of never displaying another light house and got rid of all of them. LOL

Advice: hang $100 bills on wall.  Ppl will think you collect them, and start giving them to you.

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

That is literally how I got this username. Bought one lighthouse statue on a trip to the coast in my early 20s. Wound up with forty to fifty of them by the time CGC launched their forum and was staring at one on the wall when coming up with my username.

(I still like lighthouses but haven’t added any new pieces in at least 15 years)

35 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Funky pops are cool but thankfully I don’t want any👍👍😷😷

me too lol 

But I'll have to admit I've bought a few as a gift :sorry: the recipient DID say thank you, but lol now I'm not so sure EEK! :eek: 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, Mercury Man said:

Not really my thing.   I would rather save up and buy 1 cool Bowen mini bust, than 4-5 Funko Pops.    I was tempted to pick up the Ramones, but when I saw they didn't do a Tommy or Marky, then I decided not to.  I mean, you can't have the Ramones without a drummer! 

gabba.jpg

I bought the Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious, but eventually sold then as we'd never get Steve or Paul (and def not Glen Matlock!) Also they were "retired" and selling for a boatload of cash, so off they went.

And for me that's one big difference. If I own a Pop that is suddenly worth $$$, I have no problem selling them off. Comics, that's a tougher decision.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:49 AM, kav said:

Dont forget Franklin Mint!  I remember some boardie-his mom bought tons of these for a huge retirement asset.  Stunned when she was basically told none of it was worth anything.
BUT THESE ARE COLLECTIBLE!!!  IT SAYS COLLECTIBLE!!!!

Pretty sure somewhere I have two signed Neal Adams comics that he went and sold on the Home Shopping Network. and maybe even a Stan Lee, something or other that my Grandmother got for me.  The idea that she cared about me enough to really try and get something that I would like is priceless.  The comics....not so much.

There was a comic dealer active circa 10-15 years ago who set up at all kinds of conventions in the mid-west and along the east coast. I'd always be able to find nice high-grade SA books from him. Very nice man, I'd always talk with him, and one year even helped him set up his booth at MegaCon when he was in a bind. He said to me that he was never really into collecting or reading comics but just liked making money from them. Fair enough.

But he also told me that he started dealing in comics once the beanie baby market dried up! Just moved from one hot market to another. 

I have to admit, that comment hit home a little and put some perspective on my own comic collecting habits. :flamed: