• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are superhero Funko Pops the Beanie Babies of our generation?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, miraclemet said:

In the last two months there have been 700 sales of beanie babies at a price point of $500 or higher.

Same time frame there have been 1300 sales of Funko pops.

So if this is "post bubble" beanie baby prices/volume, and we're still in " pre bubble" market for Funko how are they the same?

How are porcelain baby Jesus dolls from the Home Shopping Network selling these days? That’s more what I would compare Funkopops to than comics. I agree with Kav that modern variants probably won’t retain their value. I also believe ultra high grades won’t. The price difference between a 9.0 and a 10.0 is going to consolidate one day. Funkos take up a huge amount of space and use the same mold for every single one. Nowadays people think they look cute. People used to think Tomagochis were cute too and I guarantee someone was buying them as an investment. My philosophy would be not to buy modern collectibles right off the shelf as an investment. Anything on the toy isle at Target or in a mall kiosk is more likely to become garbage than it is going to beat inflation long term. The storage space required just isn’t worth it for the possible ROI. And yes, comics are the same. The majority of comics I bought are worth a whole buck after 30 years of careful climate controlled storage. If they’re fun get them, don’t worry about what they’ll be worth in 30 years, and absolutely do not buy a thousand dollar collectors item limited edition Funkopop 

3 hours ago, kav said:

Maybe there are 2 kinds of collectibles-manufactured collectibles and accidental collectibles.

Very close - there are 2 kinds of collectibles:

Group 1) Always treated like gold

Group 2) Worthless for years (usually at the beginning)

It is VERY rare to find collectibles in Group 1 with value (significantly above their original value) 10+ years later.

It is VERY common to find collectibles in Group 2 with value (significantly above their original value) 10+ years later... but realizing that many of those 10 years were "worthless years".

But, someone will say, what about Group 3) Always worthless?

In my opinion, these aren't collectibles, by the definition of "collectibles". lol

A friend of mine knew a dealer and many years ago that dealer gave him several funkos (my friend collects comics, not this stuff) .  Fast forward to the last 12 months and a check of ebay shows outlandish prices.  He quickly sells one for $600, and another is now approaching $800.  Who'da thought?  He will flip it for a GA Cap. 

Edited by Spidey 62

32 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

A friend of mine knew a dealer and many years ago that dealer gave him several funkos (my friend collects comics, not this stuff) .  Fast forward to the last 12 months and a check of ebay shows outlandish prices.  He quickly sells one for $600, and another is now approaching $800.  Who'da thought?  He will flip it for a GA Cap. 

I wonder if they are being faked yet by China.

15 hours ago, kav said:
16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

I wonder if they are being faked yet by China.

GA Caps?  I sometimes wonder that as well.