• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Hardlee Thinn?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, Qalyar said:

I'm not even faulting Counterpoint for appealing to "pervs". They're hardly the first books with nude variants. Heck, speaking of Dawn, the Cry for Dawn 5 limited had a nude centerfold (and none of the covers to 5 were exactly subtle). But Vampirella at least had a long history as a legit horror mag. Dawn actually had a pretty good plot for awhile, too.

Plus, you know, those titles had new issues. Linsner had a limited cover or two apiece, but after that, you'd get the next book. Vampirella has eleventh bajillion different books. Counterpoint has a handful of books with what frankly amount to "excuse plots" and hundreds upon hundreds of cover variants. It seems different to me. Don't get me wrong, Counterpoint gets some talented artists. But you're pretty much just paying for numbered prints in comic book form, aren't you? There's no comic book there.

I assume some of these will keep value because of crossover appeal. The Star Wars action figure package covers aren't going down in value anytime soon because Star Wars prints money. And I don't doubt that people will always spend some amount of cash for tig ol' bitties on shiny foil paper. But go pull up the Registry set for Hardlee Thinn One-Shots. There's three pages of them so far, more on the request thread, and lots missed along the way. How are 90% of these going to hold any interest or value in 10 years?

Now they are going to become Films. Note: Blood and Honey

On 3/1/2023 at 9:17 PM, TallMan said:

Now they are going to become Films. Note: Blood and Honey

No, they really aren't. Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey is not, in any way, related to Counterpoint's Do You Pooh or any of their other nonsense.

Blood and Honey is the creation of Rhys Frake-Waterfield and his tiny British indie film studio. The film is frankly awful, but it also made better than $3M on a budget of less than $100,000, so Frake-Waterfield plans to make not only a sequel, but similar horror film adaptations of other properties whose original works are in or entering the public domain. Expect slasher-film treatments of Bambi and Peter Pan. Hopefully with some money behind them, they'll be better.

None of this is related to Counterpoint Comics or its principle figure, Marat Mychaels. Blood and Honey is not a film adaptation of Do You Pooh. And there are quite a few reasons to expect that Counterpoint material cannot and will not see film adaptations. Most importantly, Counterpoint isn't selling a story; they're selling cover variants, and you can't put out hundreds of different versions of a film and have people buy them like they -- for some reason -- seem to do for their "comics".

If anyone tells you that Hardlee Thinn, Do You Pooh, or any of Counterpoint's other titles is going to become a film... they are probably trying to sell you Counterpoint products.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, Qalyar said:

No, they really aren't. Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey is not, in any way, related to Counterpoint's Do You Pooh or any of their other nonsense.

Blood and Honey is the creation of Rhys Frake-Waterfield and his tiny British indie film studio. The film is frankly awful, but it also made better than $3M on a budget of less than $100,000, so Frake-Waterfield plans to make not only a sequel, but similar horror film adaptations of other properties whose original works are in or entering the public domain. Expect slasher-film treatments of Bambi and Peter Pan. Hopefully with some money behind them, they'll be better.

None of this is related to Counterpoint Comics or its principle figure, Marat Mychaels. Blood and Honey is not a film adaptation of Do You Pooh. And there are quite a few reasons to expect that Counterpoint material cannot and will not see film adaptations. Most importantly, Counterpoint isn't selling a story; they're selling cover variants, and you can't put out hundreds of different versions of a film and have people buy them like they -- for some reason -- seem to do for their "comics".

If anyone tells you that Hardlee Thinn, Do You Pooh, or any of Counterpoint's other titles is going to become a film... they are probably trying to sell you Counterpoint products.

If Counterpoint cared at all about their customers, they'd actually bother trying to create new comics with actual stories.

I totally disagree with you when they are putting out Do You Pooh; Blood and Honey along with having everything like Pooh and offset issues Blood and Honey. Need some proof that it's not inspired or any help in making the films. Someone probably sold me a Counterpoint Comic that I had graded.

Screenshot_20230304_060922_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230304_060931_eBay.jpg

On 3/4/2023 at 9:42 AM, Qalyar said:

Here's the deal though. That's not a comic adaptation of the film. In fact, the studio responsible for the film is not in any way involved with this book. In all those company labels on the back, do you see Jagged Edge Productions, the people who actually made the film? No. You do not.

Note CGC's wording there. "'Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey' movie poster cover homage" (emphasis mine). Counterpoint just claims parody fair use and slaps whatever cover they want on their same small catalogue of poorly-written books. As an aside, I think their usual fair use claim is weaker than normal here, because this swipe is less adaptive, less clearly parody, and is likely to cause confusion with the original (as it has here). Not that anything is going to happen because of that.

The only connection between the film and this book is that Blood and Honey provided Counterpoint another cynical method to cash in on the same title they've now reprinted hundreds of times with different covers.

Unrelated, but I have no idea why Javan Jordan signed this. He has done covers for Counterpoint, but this doesn't seem to be one of his... I don't honestly know what relationship he has to this book. But yellow labels are cool, I guess.

(thumbsu

Some people... :facepalm: