• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Butcher job on All-Star Squadron #9

42 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, grapeape said:

Brian I’ve gone back and forth on the 2010 vs. today. This was professionally done in my opinion. I feel your passion for leaving the art as it was. 
This is a rare opportunity to see a piece of art as it was and as it is now after arts and crafts.

I prefer untouched or even the suggestions you made. 
I imagine whoever invested in “fixing” this did so to make the art more attractive? That’s subjective I understand so,,..

what do some our friends here think?

1)Would you be ticked to buy this without realizing it was worked on?

2)Do you think it looks better now or as it was before?

3)If the sellers are aware of “restoration” should they put it in the listing description?

For me 1) I would be upset to pay and later find out about “fixing” I’d like to know about any changes post original production process by artists #2 I agree with Brian the cover looked better as it was. #3even if you add stats word balloons etc I think it should be disclosed. 

I’m not ready to elevate what took place here to Los Bros status unless this is a repeated process by a dealer or seller.

Disclosure will not hurt and can only instill confidence in an item up for purchase.

Thanks Brian

🍇 🦍 

I think it would be fraud (an actual crime) to sell this piece as original without disclosing the modification.  Bechara will make disclosure and there is a history in the art markets of modifying/restoring art which is all generally fine as long as one discloses.  

Edited by Michael (OML)1

57 minutes ago, Michael (OML)1 said:

I think it would be fraud (an actual crime) to sell this piece as original without disclosing the modification.  Bechara will make disclosure and there is a history in the art markets of modifying/restoring art which is all generally fine as long as one discloses.  

I spoke to Bechara - he was planning to make disclosure as soon as Brian brought it to his attention.  Not much else he can do other than disclose which he will.  Bechard talked to the seller and the seller got it this way too so the alteration was done at least one or two owners before Bechara.  So, Bechara is doing all the right things.  Nothing more he can do.  Still, I think the cover is a pretty cool one.

Edited by Michael (OML)1

2 hours ago, Michael (OML)1 said:

I spoke to Bechara - he was planning to make disclosure as soon as Brian brought it to his attention.  Not much else he can do other than disclose which he will.  Bechard talked to the seller and the seller got it this way too so the alteration was done at least one or two owners before Bechara.  So, Bechara is doing all the right things.  Nothing more he can do.  Still, I think the cover is a pretty cool one.

Yup Bechara updated the webpage with the information. Really burns me someone did this and then sells it without disclosing what was done to it. Bad for the collecting community and the caretakers of the piece after the owner who butchered it.

https://www.nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/all-star-squadron-9-cover

43 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

The least he could do is drop the price a bit. He didn't even lower it a penny after finding all that out. Come on, Bechara, that thing is way overpriced now that everyone knows it is a badly butchered piece of art. I wouldn't give $3000 for it now.

That is the hammer at ha 10 years ago before the alteration.

5 hours ago, Michael (OML)1 said:

I’ve known Bechara for 25 years. I’m pleased he will add the disclosure. (thumbsuAgain good eye by Brian to notice the alterations.:golfclap:

On 6/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, cloud cloddie said:

The devil bid was mine, and it was more than I really wanted to pay and a little more than I thought it was worth. Made sense once I realized I was bidding against a “dealer”. I actually like this one better, but I’m not bidding crazy just to outbid los bros, so I’m out. 

You are a hero of mine for that :devil: bid.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, cloud cloddie said:

The devil bid was mine, and it was more than I really wanted to pay and a little more than I thought it was worth. Made sense once I realized I was bidding against a “dealer”. I actually like this one better, but I’m not bidding crazy just to outbid los bros, so I’m out. 

Well, it looks like Los Dees won the other New Mutants #93 piece (same feedback winner as the other New Mutants #93 UNUSED cover art that sold previously on eBay, which will soon be ALTERNATE cover, with new/fake stats, which were never meant to be on the piece in the first place. #sad).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-93-COVER-ART-UNUSED-ORIGINAL-ART-ROB-LIEFELD-OA-/363023872334?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=TanAT2%2BJKc5oloG1Bb1L%2FPs%2FbPg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

6***e(5063feedback score: 5063) $9,499.00 24 Jun 2020 at 6:00:32PM PDT

1 hour ago, lobrac said:

Well, it looks like Los Dees won the other New Mutants #93 piece (same feedback winner as the other New Mutants #93 UNUSED cover art that sold previously on eBay, which will soon be ALTERNATE cover, with new/fake stats, which were never meant to be on the piece in the first place. #sad).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-93-COVER-ART-UNUSED-ORIGINAL-ART-ROB-LIEFELD-OA-/363023872334?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=TanAT2%2BJKc5oloG1Bb1L%2FPs%2FbPg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

6***e(5063feedback score: 5063) $9,499.00 24 Jun 2020 at 6:00:32PM PDT

Yeah, it’s them. It’s one of their many eBay accounts. 

https://www.ebay.com/usr/valnstevez.aol?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Gotta control the market of unused covers. 

I am super-slow on the uptake but just realized that this page which I purchased from Los Bros last year had its vellum surprint cut out and glued directly to panels 4 and 5.

wNvaxg4.jpg.c5199020fecbc509048b5cc7fa2abb02.jpg

I noticed it was a different kind of paper, but it didn't register that they wouldn't/couldn't have achieved this effect at the printer unless the vellum was on a different sheet during production.

auWgOjH.jpg.ce46d33079b6ab1dcf46fcd155a4a521.jpg

16 hours ago, RBerman said:

I am super-slow on the uptake but just realized that this page which I purchased from Los Bros last year had its vellum surprint cut out and glued directly to panels 4 and 5.

wNvaxg4.jpg.c5199020fecbc509048b5cc7fa2abb02.jpg

I noticed it was a different kind of paper, but it didn't register that they wouldn't/couldn't have achieved this effect at the printer unless the vellum was on a different sheet during production.

auWgOjH.jpg.ce46d33079b6ab1dcf46fcd155a4a521.jpg

RBerman I’ve appreciated your presence here on the boards. So please consider my plea to avoid Los Arts and Crafts for your own sanity.

Nothing like buying art that you wanted then spending the rest of your waking moments wondering if additional “fixing” took place.

🍇🦍

13 hours ago, grapeape said:

RBerman I’ve appreciated your presence here on the boards. So please consider my plea to avoid Los Arts and Crafts for your own sanity.

Nothing like buying art that you wanted then spending the rest of your waking moments wondering if additional “fixing” took place.

🍇🦍

Thank you my friend!

I'm glad to own the pages (that and another from the same issue) but sad to have encouraged the "fixing."

15 hours ago, RBerman said:

Thank you my friend!

I'm glad to own the pages (that and another from the same issue) but sad to have encouraged the "fixing."

This hobby is always a teaching opportunity no matter the level of experience a collector has. I’m glad you love the pages.

Maybe there needs to be a thread titled "Moments of Shame" where we collectors reveal our biggest purchasing mistakes or where we have been duped..