• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commission or Recreation
1 1

17 posts in this topic

So tonight as I was browsing some art online I came across a nice recreation by an artist I like of a cover I like.  That was what got me thinking about this topic - 

so here is the question - and it's totally your personal opinion - 

if you had a choice to have (at equal cost)

1.a recreation by an artist of a cover they themselves originally drew - that you loved

or

2.a brand new commission - of the same level of quality as the recreation by the same artist as above.

Which would you prefer to have and which do you think would be a better financial investment? (given that both are unpublished pieces)

Hope the question makes sense. Looking forward to your thoughts.

if it's a nice one, and the price is correct, i'd go for the commission....and if one day i find the cover at  a correct price too, i'd resell the commission and buy the cover (thus the importance of buying it frst at a correct price so you can resell it at the price you bought it)

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

So tonight as I was browsing some art online I came across a nice recreation by an artist I like of a cover I like.  That was what got me thinking about this topic - 

1.a recreation by an artist of a cover they themselves originally drew - that you loved

or

2.a brand new commission - of the same level of quality as the recreation by the same artist as above.

Which would you prefer to have and which do you think would be a better financial investment? (given that both are unpublished pieces)

From an investment perspective, I doubt either of them would be much good as compared to published OA, unless you hit the jackpot on selecting the artist. From a collecting perspective, I would split the difference and ask for an homage. Let the artist design the artwork, but give him objects or ideas to work into the picture. His stock in trade is artistry, he should be allowed to exercise it. Otherwise, you are just getting an illustrator.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

From an investment perspective, I doubt either of them would be much good as compared to published OA, unless you hit the jackpot on selecting the artist. From a collecting perspective, I would split the difference and ask for an homage. Let the artist design the artwork, but give him objects or ideas to work into the picture. His stock in trade is artistry, he should be allowed to exercise it. Otherwise, you are just getting an illustrator.

Case in point, this overnight commission that Yanick Paquette did for me at Dragon Con last fall. I just said "Bulleteer," and he came up with a more interesting scene than I would have thought of if I had tried to limit his expression.

T8RBhfw.jpg.fe574666d0c0857ef92763269c416ab9.jpg

Edited by RBerman

If we are talking about a line for line recreation, these don't appeal to me for my personal interest (I appreciate them but don't have desire to buy them). I'd go for something along the line of a reinterpretation where enough is different to know it is unique but that it is a clear homage to the original. 

On 6/20/2020 at 12:57 AM, Panelfan1 said:

or

I personally would prefer an origjnal commission rather than an exact recreation of an original.  As others have stated, I would get an homage commission (in fact, I am getting one in the future) that is different and personal touches that I would suggest from the artist.

As for investment appeal, I wouldn’t know enough to comment on that aspect.  I buy original art/commissions for personal appreciation, not financial appreciation.

Totally depends on the artist.  There are situations where a recreation may be more liquid/movable, e.g. a popular artist doing a very popular/iconic cover.  If I happen to love such a cover, the choice becomes easy.

A case in point, Bagley doing Venom: Lethal Protector 1 -- https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1612319.  I don't foresee ever moving this, but suspect it'd be easier to move than many a commission by him.

But there are other artists, say Artgerm or Luis Royo, for whom I'd be happier with a commission.

There's some nuance involved, for sure.

Edited by exitmusicblue

I think, personally, that a recreation by the original artist is by every measure just a lesser version of the original.  I don’t find that appealing. Especially when for the same money I can have an original commission, or even a revised version of the cover that is unique to me.   
You didn’t offer it as an option, but I think a third valid option is getting a different artist to do his/her take on the cover for you. 
Again, to me it’s about creating something new and specifically for you. 
By the way, please don’t take this to mean I believe I’m stating some absolute comic art truth ... 100% my personal preference is all. 

IMHO there are too many recreations of original covers, splashes and pin-ups.

If you like the original so much but can't obtain it, ( i.e., non-existent, too expensive, owner won't sell, etc.), just buy a poster of it and put it in a frame.  Better yet, buy a high grade CGC copy of it and frame it.

Many moons ago, I bought an original Spidey vs Green Goblin piece from the late Jim Mooney that he used for a poster to sell at conventions.

It was so popular, people started asking about the original art.  Instead of creating a new original with a different design and layout, Jim decided to do several recreations of the same piece.  At last count, there are 5 known recreations.

Even though, I bought the original, it no longer feels special or "one of a kind". 

Glen B just discussed his purchase of an ASM #350 recreation by inker Randy Emberlin.  Erik Larsen pencilled the original, Randy did the inks.  The original cover was destroyed in the infamous fire at Erik's home.  Someone passed it off as the original.  Glen got screwed.

Too many recreations are not clearly identified as recreations.  Artists should have some integrity and ethics.  When doing a recreation, maybe sign it as "Emberlin after Erik" along with the year the recreation was done.  Mark it as "Recreation"  on the reverse.

If it was an inks over blueline digital scan, DO NOT sign the penciller's name.  If there are no pencils underneath, you are just creating a forgery of the original artist.  Just sign your name if you worked on the recreation.

I don't need to see another "variant" Jack Kirby or David Finch cover out there.

If you really feel a need to get a "recreation", I like Michael Finn's concept of "One Minute Later" where the artist depicts the action as if the heroes / villians are moving in action and captured 1 minute later.  It pays homage to the original but has a new original design and layout.  In addition, it is drawn it the natural style of the artist that Michael hires.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

N.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, NelsonAI said:

IMHO there are too many recreations of original covers, splashes and pin-ups.

If you like the original so much but can't obtain it, ( i.e., non-existent, too expensive, owner won't sell, etc.), just buy a poster of it and put it in a frame.  Better yet, buy a high grade CGC copy of it and frame it.

Many moons ago, I bought an original Spidey vs Green Goblin piece from the late Jim Mooney that he used for a poster to sell at conventions.

It was so popular, people started asking about the original art.  Instead of creating a new original with a different design and layout, Jim decided to do several recreations of the same piece.  At last count, there are 5 known recreations.

Even though, I bought the original, it no longer feels special or "one of a kind". 

Glen B just discussed his purchase of an ASM #350 recreation by inker Randy Emberlin.  Erik Larsen pencilled the original, Randy did the inks.  The original cover was destroyed in the infamous fire at Erik's home.  Someone passed it off as the original.  Glen got screwed.

Too many recreations are not clearly identified as recreations.  Artists should have some integrity and ethics.  When doing a recreation, maybe sign it as "Emberlin after Erik" along with the year the recreation was done.  Mark it as "Recreation"  on the reverse.

If it was an inks over blueline digital scan, DO NOT sign the penciller's name.  If there are no pencils underneath, you are just creating a forgery of the original artist.  Just sign your name if you worked on the recreation.

I don't need to see another "variant" Jack Kirby or David Finch cover out there.

If you really feel a need to get a "recreation", I like Michael Finn's concept of "One Minute Later" where the artist depicts the action as if the heroes / villians are moving in action and captured 1 minute later.  It pays homage to the original but has a new original design and layout.  In addition, it is drawn it the natural style of the artist that Michael hires.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

N.

Well said, I agree completely.

IMO you should go with what you think will satisfy you.  Sometimes it's a recreation, sometimes it's a commission.  If you have an artist (or inker) that is still alive that has done one of your all time favorite covers that you know you will never get, either due to price, that it's nowhere to be found, or the seller will never sell, then why not consider a recreation if that's what you really want?  A commission might be cool, but it may not fit the bill for what it is that you are really looking for.  

In my opinion I think Re-Creation Covers do have a place in collecting. Because of some of the reasons mentioned above (original too expensive or not available, etc.). I think if you are able to get the Original artist to do it that will be the closet and truest homage to the original artwork.

Many collectors get commissions of their favorite original art page (interior,splash) because in many ways that is an unattainable grail for them. Not sure if that is a collector's feeling that changing and altering the cover accomplishes their intent on owning that particular piece in it's original appeal.

There are many pieces of art that are so Iconic that I believe many collector's would not want it altered. I do believe that having the Original artist doing it is a major plus. You cannot get any closer then that if that is your intent.

I agree with you. Financially one must be very careful since the investment in our hobby has elevated.

However, there is a very good market as sales have shown for High End commissions and Re-Creation Covers. But they do have to be of a certain Quality.

I know published pages have that status to them but sometimes when you see a Great example of an artists work that is a commission it can be nicer then the published pieces that you would be paying up for.

A discerning eye is important when evaluating art.

Fwiw, not to toot horns, but I was a bit stunned by the popularity on CAF of my Bagley recreation.  Far and away my most popular piece of "non-published" art by anyone not named Frazetta.

There's a nostalgia element at work, no doubt...

Edited by exitmusicblue