• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet The Moondog

32 posts in this topic

Did Moondog advertise in the 70s and 80s Marvel black-and-white magazines? I might be getting confused with Bud Plant.

24 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Did Moondog advertise in the 70s and 80s Marvel black-and-white magazines? I might be getting confused with Bud Plant.

This ad is from the pages of this copy of TBG #157 

267602145_TBG157cover.jpeg.467b816f0086b4b8794f0f306e4f3d1e.jpeg

May as well keep going on the "history" theme here instead of starting a NEW thread.  

Here is a pic of Stan in the mid '70's.  What is interesting to me is how he looked when those books on the wall were published. 

I remember all those books.  Seems like yesterday.

He seems so young and those books seem pretty old.... or maybe not.  Still, it's weird to think of "that old man Stan" that we picture when we see him these last few years,

being much younger like this and 

seeing the books that he was responsible for publishing at the time. 

187717995_StanLeemid70s.jpg.a322592c9fa8cf6de518f48db7d133b8.jpg

Edited by Senormac
age related correction

4 hours ago, Senormac said:

Here's one for you Paul :grin:

same issue

1522164327_howardtheduckbritishandusa.thumb.jpg.23ecf51e6b31de5a39f4fbf316f19247.jpg

826943929_howardtheduckbritishandusazoom.jpg.b1f82f231f553c244cc15b473c3fd045.jpg

I always preferred the cent copy, which was tougher to get and more expensive over here.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 8.20.38 PM.png

I'm assuming you drew that kav, quick question....

Was your intention to draw her as if she was putting her hair up? Or relaxing with hands on head as if exasperated that she's bored?

If I'm honest, I thought she was doing her hair and exasperated  lol

But it being art per se, I wanted to say good job because it flowed and went with the writing subtly lol

Sounds like im rambling but I meant it as a compliment Haha lol

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was your intention to draw her as if she was putting her hair up? Or relaxing with hands on head as if exasperated that she's bored?

But it being art per se, I wanted to say good job because it flowed and went with the writing subtly lol

uh.... that's Prohias ADAMANTIUM :baiting:

Edited by Senormac
cuz spy's never lie

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No its from weirdo #21

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 8.37.24 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Senormac said:

uh.... that's Prohias ADAMANTIUM :baiting:

Thanks! It looked like a character that I've seen used before, maybe the nose lol

I never would have thought somewhere in spy vs spy realm haha

Still it's a compliment lol

How about this, Alex Schomburg, that amazing Marvel Mystery Cover artist, along with lots of other Timely books from the 40's did some ORIGINAL painting work in the mid 1970's. 

So the question is..... where are these ?  Somebody has them.   They have not been destroyed cuz there have been no world wars in America ever !!   

2049872559_schomburgpaintings.thumb.jpeg.97382dd765e2234640aa71394ad1d399.jpeg

Edited by Senormac
enquiring minds want to know

8 hours ago, Senormac said:

May as well keep going on the "history" theme here instead of starting a NEW thread.  

Here is a pic of Stan in the mid '70's.  What is interesting to me is how he looked when those books on the wall were published. 

I remember all those books.  Seems like yesterday.

He seems so young and those books seem pretty old.... or maybe not.  Still, it's weird to think of "that old man Stan" that we picture when we see him these last few years,

being much younger like this and 

seeing the books that he was responsible for publishing at the time. 

187717995_StanLeemid70s.jpg.a322592c9fa8cf6de518f48db7d133b8.jpg

I remember when he was on What's my Line where did the years go :insane:

I used to live within walking distance to Moondogs Chicago location (located at Clark and Belden in Chicago`s Lincoln Park neighborhood).  Bought my first Marvel Masterworks from there, when I was in College.  Thx for jarring my memory. 

Edited by Mercury Man