• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet The Moondog

32 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Gary, is that Amazing Fantasy still available?   :takeit:

I bought a SA Marvel collection that were all water damaged.  FF 1.  AF 15 - all the keys.  They were near perfect from the middle up.  Heart breaking.

On 6/20/2020 at 7:43 PM, Senormac said:

May as well keep going on the "history" theme here instead of starting a NEW thread.  

Here is a pic of Stan in the mid '70's.  What is interesting to me is how he looked when those books on the wall were published. 

I remember all those books.  Seems like yesterday.

He seems so young and those books seem pretty old.... or maybe not.  Still, it's weird to think of "that old man Stan" that we picture when we see him these last few years,

being much younger like this and 

seeing the books that he was responsible for publishing at the time. 

187717995_StanLeemid70s.jpg.a322592c9fa8cf6de518f48db7d133b8.jpg

On 6/21/2020 at 4:07 AM, comicjack said:

I remember when he was on What's my Line where did the years go :insane:

I met Stan Lee for the first time at age 11 in 1974. He was literally bursting with energy and met every preconceived expectations I had of him based on his writing from his comics and soapbox sections. He commented on my “great” knowledge of science (physics major later) when I called him out on some of his “science” writing in the comics. He told me about his new book coming out which was the Origins of Marvel Comics that I later had him sign after getting a copy. 1970’s was a great time to be a kid reading/collecting comics and Stan Lee despite his “rep” was the center of that universe for a lot of us. I met Jack Kirby around the same time and luckily at the time lacked the knowledge of their past love/hate relationship and so avoided any awkward experiences in speaking with both. It wasn’t until the 1980’s when I was older and more knowledgeable did I start asking some hard questions about the two of them and found both very candid in their opinions...

2 hours ago, Moondog said:

i haven't been to the boards in 2 months.  Wow!  What a memory!  I started dealing in the fall of 1975 so this was my first stab at selling books mail order, but more importantly, getting my name out there.  The address in the ad was my house.  A lot of collectors would come over during the 1975-78 era and look through stacks of books and shoot the breeze.  I opened my first shop in September 1978.  Thanks for posting, Senormac. 

Oh I know. I'm well aware. I think I started going there in September 1978. Long time ago now.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:15 AM, Mercury Man said:

I used to live within walking distance to Moondogs Chicago location (located at Clark and Belden in Chicago`s Lincoln Park neighborhood).  Bought my first Marvel Masterworks from there, when I was in College.  Thx for jarring my memory. 

met Neil Gaiman at that location

Moondog's store was what actually got me back into comics in 1987.

I bought a bunch of Justice League Of America (1-maybe 22) one Saturday afternoon from him.

Then in 1991 I got sick and couldn't work any longer. He bought most of them back. And for some reason he kept wanting to call my wife Robin which we got a kick out of.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Oh I know. I'm well aware. I think I started going there in September 1978. Long time ago now.

So many memories, Dan.  Still in touch with many old Moondoggers.  I often feel very nostalgic about those days. <3

On 6/29/2020 at 4:27 PM, evilskip said:

Moondog's store was what actually got me back into comics in 1987.

I bought a bunch of Justice League Of America (1-maybe 22) one Saturday afternoon from him.

Then in 1991 I got sick and couldn't work any longer. He bought most of them back. And for some reason he kept wanting to call my wife Robin which we got a kick out of.

Ha ha.  It started to be a thing with me, If I couldn't remember a wife/girlfriend's name I'd say, "It's Robin, right?"  It was never Robin.  :screwy: