• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why isn't Tales to Astonish #70 a key?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Tales to Astonish #70 is the first issue of Namor the Sub-Mariner's solo series. It should be a key book - every other Marvel SA first issue is. Even the other split book firsts, which are underappreciated and undervalued across the board, are considered keys to one degree or another and the prices reflect that.

But TTA 70 seems completely ignored. A Sub Mariner #1 is likely to cost three figures, even though it's actually the third "first issue" of the run, but I just got a  TTA 70 on ebay last week for $5.

Shouldn't this issue be a bigger deal? 

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Tales to Astonish #70 is the first issue of Namor the Sub-Mariner's solo series. It should be a key book - every other Marvel SA first issue is. Even the other split book firsts, which are underappreciated and undervalued across the board, are considered keys to one degree or another and the prices reflect that.

But TTA 70 seems completely ignored. A Sub Mariner #1 is likely to cost three figures, even though it's actually the third "first issue" of the run, but I just got a  TTA 70 on ebay last week for $5.

So, TTA 70 would be something like Subby’s 100th appearance (more or less) so why should it be a bigger deal than it is now?

I think it's a sleeper, a book that we'll look back on in a half dozen years and wonder why we didn't lock down a few high grade copies when they were dirt cheap. It's one of those bonus books that has stayed under the radar. With no film appearance as yet to draw attention to Silver Age Subby books, it's lost in the middle of the superhero portion of a long running title. Might be a good time to grab a nice one and wait. My 2c. 

7 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Makes sense.

You might be able to equate it to Namor's DC counterpart: Aquaman, with Showcase 30. Neither book is a first app. But just like SC 30 is Aquaman's first "tryout issue," the same could be said for Submariner in TTA 70. SC 30 sure gets a ton of attention, so I don't see why TTA 70 shouldn't.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:14 AM, 01TheDude said:

444832674_SubmarinerEverettTribute-a.thumb.jpg.c845274459942e93419c5fdef7392c24.jpg

came across this pinup I tore out of some comic (I'm thinking a Submariner but haven't figured it out yet). Figured this would be a nice place to post it.

That’s from Sub-Mariner #65 in 1973. Marvel’s tribute page to Bill after his death.

It is worth slightly more than 69 or 71 so it's slightly key(ish)? Maybe it'll pick up steam at some point. As an aside, I never really understood the allure of Sub-Mariner as a hero. As a villain or anti-hero, sure. But he's kind of an arrogant jerk.

Edited by bb8

5 minutes ago, bb8 said:

It is worth slightly more than 69 or 71 so it's slightly key(ish)? Maybe it'll pick up steam at some point. As an aside, I never really understood the allure of Sub-Mariner as a hero. As a villain or anti-hero, sure. But he's kind of an arrogant jerk.

He’s way more interesting than Hank and Janet got towards the end.

18 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Anger management issues...