• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Everyone's Opinion on Color Touch?
4 4

106 posts in this topic

I think it's completely overblow in the current market.  50% hit to price because of some tiny color touches and a bit of glue?  I obviously don't like it when people try to do restoration without disclosure but a book with a tiny bit of restoration should not be 50 - 70% off the price of an untouched book. 

It really depends on the scarcity of the book and the overall cost.  If it was for my PC, and I had the means, then I would go for the Universal in every instance.

Otherwise I have no issue with CT, so long as it was not done for nefarious reasons.  But that is the issue, how is one to know if it was nefarious or not?

36 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think it's completely overblow in the current market.  50% hit to price because of some tiny color touches and a bit of glue?  I obviously don't like it when people try to do restoration without disclosure but a book with a tiny bit of restoration should not be 50 - 70% off the price of an untouched book. 

Yes, and no.  Obviously a mid or lower grade book with very minor color touch shouldn't be going for that much off.  However a high grade IGB recreation with the litany of things done to it should go for much much more off the price of a real high grade unrestored book.  And this is one of the reasons that restored books have such a stigmata around them.  It's hard to tell most of the time what a reasonable comparable blue book price any given purple label should go for.

EDIT.  And I just noticed you specified the tiny color touches or bit of glue.  So I guess I actually totally agree with you.

Edited by thunsicker

I recently bought a number of books with very minor CT right here on these boards. They were all clearly stated. I knew exactly what I was buying. They were all high mid grade books otherwise. Very attractive prices. I wanted them to red and fill holes. If they were keys or books That were very important to me, I probably wouldn’t have bought them. So, as long as fully disclosed and priced accordingly, I can live with them. 

If not disclosed, they go back unless I am offered one heck of a refund and can  accept it on that book. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

If I need the book and nothing else available/affordable CT isnt a problem to me, the same goes for anything tbh except front cover missing & rusty staples

Nobody likes a rusty staple Kevin :)

Spoiler

977506949_BridesinLove25(Vol.1)July1961(6d).jpg.60dc2943dc224117e5aec040c439adec.jpg Yuck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It is always interesting to hear what “defects” that other collectors can live with or without. For me, it’s always about the book and the price. About the only two things are an absolute no no is brittle and mold. Excessive tape and rat chews are a close second. I can live with most everything else depending. I have incomplete and coverless books, attractive, professionally restored books all the way up to Mile High and other super high grade books. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's a similar scenario to the process of tearing off a piece of cover to hide trimming. A nice, straight cut - obvious trimming, and the book is financially damned and deemed undesirable to the majority. Rough that same edge up a bit and you'll likely get a blue label as the damage will look 'natural'. Deface a defaced book further and return it to blue status. The hobby is full of these situations which, I have found, appear completely bonkers to anyone outside of it. 

This. I have an AF15 with a 3/4" piece trimmed from the cover. I could tear it, send it in, and it'd come back blue and worth substantially more. :frustrated:

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is always interesting to hear what “defects” that other collectors can live with or without. For me, it’s always about the book and the price. About the only two things are an absolute no no is brittle and mold. Excessive tape and rat chews are a close second. I can live with most everything else depending. I have incomplete and coverless books, attractive, professionally restored books all the way up to Mile High and other super high grade books. 

crumbling staples with rust migration?

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

This. I have an AF15 with a 3/4" piece trimmed from the cover. I could tear it, send it in, and it'd come back blue and worth substantially more. :frustrated:

Do it.  Seriously.
It's time for the 'Silver Sharpie Revolution'.
If tiny amt of restoration is bad, KILL IT WITH FIRE

2 hours ago, kav said:

Do it.  Seriously.
It's time for the 'Silver Sharpie Revolution'.
If tiny amt of restoration is bad, KILL IT WITH FIRE

I probably will if I ever decide to sell it. I mentioned the conundrum on the boards a while back and some people reacted as though I were committing a crime against humanity. I was just pointing out an area in resto grading that was problematic. 

1 minute ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I probably will if I ever decide to sell it. I mentioned the conundrum on the boards a while back and some people reacted as though I were committing a crime against humanity. I was just pointing out an area in resto grading that was problematic. 

We dont make the rules so let's play by them.

20 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I would agree, and it does makes sense.

The silver sharpie and CT removal both make sense from a financial perspective. However it begs to ask the question why these methods are somehow preferred over the already present CT. I don't mind minor CT, and personally I wouldn't preform either of these procedures. I think here in lies the problem. Why is the market so "scared" of color touch and it prefers methods that damage a book (ie. scraping or adding more ink) rather that having a small amount of CT?

I would say that books with minor color touch seem to be undervalued. I have to admit, I don't really understand the "conserved" label, but I know it can include a limited amount of recasting/reinforced spines, and tear seals. Maybe minor CT would fit better in the "conserved camp." 2c

CT doesn’t Conserve anything.(shrug)

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

CT doesn’t Conserve anything.(shrug)

It conserves the paper underneath by throwing down a pertective layer of ink!

8 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

For a long time I was a purple label snob like most- and did not want to entertain the thought of it but as I started to buy some mega keys and seeing what the prices on those and the appearance  of a plod vs very low grade books I rethought that stance and have become open to resto. Ultimately because if I can get a book that looks beautiful and is in better condition to last vs a rag of a book that may have many issues that continue to degenerate (like rust or weak staples etc) I prefer to have the plod- here is a recent example- I picked this up for less then the going prices of 1.8s - if you have the budget of a 1.8 and we know what kind of condition that is . Which would you rather have? 

D814310F-5FAF-43EA-B7CF-6BEAB5F211DF.jpeg

Less than the going rate of a Pence 1.8,or a regular edition?