• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Everyone's Opinion on Color Touch?
4 4

106 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
7 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Color Touch makes a book look prettier.

Unless you’ve lost your touch.

Or you’re out of touch.

My advice is to just walk away, any time of day, before you color touch a book. 

Ah, BUT, my good man, the song says to walk away only AFTER the touch.

And the touch should be done in the morning.

Wise words!

Edited by MusterMark

6 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

Ah, BUT, my good man, the song says to walk away only AFTER doing the touching.

And the touching has to be done in the morning.

Wise words!

With the prevailing market disparity between blue and purple label values, anyone considering color touch should first practice on themselves. Color touch their face, then look in the mirror. Once realizing what an incredibly ill-advised idea that was, they should opt to leave the book alone. 

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

With the prevailing market disparity between blue and purple label values, anyone considering color touch should first practice on themselves. Color touch their face, then look in the mirror. Once realizing what an incredibly ill-advised idea that was, they should opt to leave the book alone. 

Agreed. I wouldn't ever color touch an unrestored book. I have improved upon terrible CT in the past though. I bought an X-men 1 at a good price a couple years ago that had pretty bad amateur C-1 CT that covered a bigger area than I expected before cracking it open. It was too poor to be removed so I went at it with my painting knowledge, using acrylics mixed with a medium gloss polymer and not only did it present better but I had it re-graded and the CT went from C-1 to B-1 and the grade from a 3.5 to a 4.0. I don't know how grading is affected by quality of CT but I was happy with the B-1 at least and was able to sell it for a profit. 

16 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't mind a little bit of color touch. I won't buy rat chewed, or brittle. I've never minded restored books, as long as there's disclosure. You get some great comics at a discount price. But this only goes for GA, and SA keys. I wouldn't buy a run of the mill book if it has resto.

Rat chews are just behind brittle and mold which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. But sometimes... Many years ago I bought a box of about 75 late '40's/early '50's comics at a garage sale. Nearly every book had a chew of some kind on about every edge or corner. Maybe the best one was a Cap #74. I just wanted to cry. Over the years, I sold off most of them but I still have a few I kept just because I either have no need to upgrade or just don't want to pay today's prices to do so. Here are a couple of maybe 8 I still have left. I doubt most would get down off the high horse at 25 cents each...

comstrangeadvs46.jpg

combatman69.jpg

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Rat chews are just behind brittle and mold which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. But sometimes... Many years ago I bought a box of about 75 late '40's/early '50's comics at a garage sale. Nearly every book had a chew of some kind on about every edge or corner. Maybe the best one was a Cap #74. I just wanted to cry. Over the years, I sold off most of them but I still have a few I kept just because I either have no need to upgrade or just don't want to pay today's prices to do so. Here are a couple of maybe 8 I still have left. I doubt most would get down off the high horse at 25 cents each...

comstrangeadvs46.jpg

combatman69.jpg

I think Catwoman is missing a drawn by her mouth!

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I also have a couple of Fox Rulahs that some kid penciled in nipples and other private parts (very artfully I might add) on pages inside. They are just so classic, I couldn't bring myself to sell them.:devil:

I once bought a Hulk 182 off the bay that I found had mustaches drawn on everyone throughout the interior. I was in disbelief that I had scored the rare stache variant that all collectors dream of :banana:

4 hours ago, serling1978 said:

I once bought a Hulk 182 off the bay that I found had mustaches drawn on everyone throughout the interior. I was in disbelief that I had scored the rare stache variant that all collectors dream of :banana:

Heck, I’ve seen that a lot. I probably did it myself as a kid too. I know I used to carefully erase the eye balls of a lot of my mom’s magazines on the covers. Some times I would recolor them in or make them bloodshot. Best was to leave them white. I was born creative I guess. 

I never had comics as hot as Rulah or Phantom Lady and never had any fixation that would lead me to “add” to them if I did. 

11 hours ago, serling1978 said:

164279132_mustacheetc.thumb.jpg.8b440abedbabc3750b12acad8a6bee4b.jpg

56686285_JIM125-a.thumb.jpg.68cc169fd97ba4b75ecae67c711434b7.jpg

been there - done that with this JIM 125.

Truth be told-- it was not a surprise. I got it very cheaply and was fine with it. Sort of dig it a little bit. lol

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Seems like this one is actually an improvement on the original...

ff48hair.jpg.ec838adbf01aea13348aedad88755bdd.jpg

RIP Joe Sinnot

Is the Watcher really that tall or is he in the foreground?

Long live the king:headbang:

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

He can be as tall as he wants!

2 minutes ago, kav said:
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

He can be as tall as he wants!

He can hunt geese with a rake, if he wants! :x 

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

RIP Joe Sinnot

Long live the king:headbang:

The Watcher is generally depicted as being larger than a human, but just how MUCH larger fluctuates depending on the artist.

Is this a good place to derail so I can complain about the fact that Darkseid used to be, like, just a "big guy", but these days he's like 16' tall or something? Why did that happen?

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The Watcher is generally depicted as being larger than a human, but just how MUCH larger fluctuates depending on the artist.

Is this a good place to derail so I can complain about the fact that Darkseid used to be, like, just a "big guy", but these days he's like 16' tall or something? Why did that happen?

I have no idea lol

I mainly posed the question, because I always thought he WAS in the foreground and I don't know why I missed it....

Darkseid probably because it made for more battle sequences or easier to depict and have punches thrown

Pure guessing speculation! :sumo: