• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age video-Phil Seuling
1 1

15 posts in this topic

This was fantastic!!! Jamie Farr sure knew a LOT about the Golden Age heroes. It's interesting to see how Mike Douglas and some of the guests kind of laughed it up at comics expense, but when Phil reported that the Superman #1 was worth around $1500, well all of the sudden things changed a little.  lol   Superman #1, Captain America #28, Famous Funnies #1 ….. some awesome comics in that stack!!!  

5 hours ago, comicnoir said:

The same year I saw Wendy Pini at the Philadelphia con as she won the Red Sonjia look a like contest. I chatted up the runner-up and went to her room.

Did you let her have her way with you?  ;)

On 6/23/2020 at 7:30 PM, Electron said:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Passing around a raw Superman 1...priceless! Thanks so much for posting it. (thumbsu

In the 'old days" comics wern't worth what they are today (although, everything was relative). I was about 15 when I met Gary Coddington. You old guys might remember him. He was, at the time, maybe the biggest Superman collector. He was disabled due to kidney failure. But he had everything. Comics, toys, movie stuff, everything related to Superman.

Was over at his house one day and we were looking at his comics. All stored neatly in piles on shelves in his room. Entire runs. After about 20 or so, I got a little crosseyed. He asked me if I wanted to read his Action #1. I sat on the floor and read it, carefully. Then Superman #1 and so on. What a day...

$1,500 for a comic book in those days was a LOT of money.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

In the 'old days" comics wern't worth what they are today (although, everything was relative). I was about 15 when I met Gary Coddington. You old guys might remember him. He was, at the time, maybe the biggest Superman collector. He was disabled due to kidney failure. But he had everything. Comics, toys, movie stuff, everything related to Superman.

Was over at his house one day and we were looking at his comics. All stored neatly in piles on shelves in his room. Entire runs. After about 20 or so, I got a little crosseyed. He asked me if I wanted to read his Action #1. I sat on the floor and read it, carefully. Then Superman #1 and so on. What a day...

Not sure what time period you are referencing, but in 1970 I bought a used 1970 Ford Maverick for $1600...

On 6/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Great story RM! Reading an original Action 1, what a treat! I love hearing stories from the early days of collecting, particularly when the GA comics were in raw stacks and started at issue number one!!