• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Came across a big comic collection
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I recently came into a pretty decent comic collection, about 5000 books. They range from silver age through pretty modern stuff. We are looking to sell but we have no idea where to start. I have started to catalog the more valuable series and issues but I am just over whelmed. Any help would be much appreciated. Some notable issues are Giant size X-men #1, amazing spiderman #29,31, 49-400. Plus so much more

Hi, you didn't give any info about your knowledge of the hobby, experience with selling or grading the condition of comics, what your time frame is etc

Sounds like you're off to the right start, just go thru them and note titles/issues.  Even with 5000 that shouldn't take that long if that's all you're noting.

How aware are you of the various auction sites like Heritage/Comic Link & Connect, MyComicShop etc   where you could either just sell the whole collection to them or have them sell it for you?

While I've never used any of them there's plenty of good folks here who have used them & others.  If you haven't already, I would suggest going thru their websites to see their selling process.   

I would think selling any major keys (ie GSX 1; ASM 50 etc)  individually would be a good move.

Good luck

Depending on the time you want to put in, you should grade the comics, then look up prices for those comics in grade.  

that may take a lot of time and and money, and everyone has different time and money preferences.  

It may be worth it to sell in bulk to a dealer or store, or may be worth it to sell on consignment or auction house.  

But it may take a lot of time and research to know what your best options are.  Good luck.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Spidey1030 said:

We are looking to sell but we have no idea where to start. I have started to catalog the more valuable series and issues but I am just over whelmed. 

A few thoughts...

IF you are already overwhelmed, THEN you should look up the comic book shops in your local area and sell them all there. This will result probably the lowest price realized but the books will go to a local business at a crucial time and they need to make a profit. Maybe you have nothing into them and they are a burden to you? 

IF you want to do a little more... Take a few photos with your phone, advertise it on Craigslist and entertain multiple callers / visitors. You will draw not only the local shops but also local dealers who may offer you more than the local shop. Use caution to not let any one buyer cherry-pick the best issues. Maybe 15% of any one collection will result in 90% of the value, so if you sell this way it is best to go bulk. 

IF you want to do a little more... Price / grade them individually. Bring them to a local comic book show or a flea market and set up at a table. Then you can sell to local dealers AND collectors directly and earn even more. Educate yourself enough to not let any one buyer cherry-pick the best issues. 

Finally it's eBay... Killer photos, accurate descriptions, bomb-proof shipping, Paypal chargebacks. Whew. Now that's working. 

Also, I'll Venmo you $100 right now for Amazing Spider-Man #129  :wishluck:

On 6/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, Spidey1030 said:

We are looking to sell but we have no idea where to start.

You bought 5,000 comics to sell them and you don't know how to sell comics?  Was it an impulse buy?  Sounds like an interesting story, care to share it? 

10 hours ago, Turnando said:

You bought 5,000 comics to sell them and you don't know how to sell comics?  Was it an impulse buy?  Sounds like an interesting story, care to share it? 

Well he posted he 'came into them' which doesn't necessarily  imply buying. Could be an inheritance maybe?

Last thing you should do is rush into it if you're not sure of what your doing.

That’s a lot of comics to ‘come into’. Whether they were purchased, inherited, etc, I would LOVE to have that project cataloguing them.  It took me months to get my 3000+ collection into an Excel database. 😂😂😂

As the interest in the ASM 129 shows, people will want the high quality books at the lowest price leaving you with maybe 4,950 comics it will take years to sell one at a time. All the advertising, all the time spent, all the deals that fall through.  Get an overstreet guide, learn to grade and then think about what you want to do with the rest of your life.  Perhaps 75 of those books have value worth pursuing perhaps not.  Consigning through a dealer puts the onus on the dealer and the dealer usually knows his way around or he won't be a dealer for long. I worked with Bob Storms but I think my collection likely had a higher value. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:51 AM, Spidey1030 said:

I recently came into a pretty decent comic collection, about 5000 books. They range from silver age through pretty modern stuff. We are looking to sell but we have no idea where to start. I have started to catalog the more valuable series and issues but I am just over whelmed. Any help would be much appreciated. Some notable issues are Giant size X-men #1, amazing spiderman #29,31, 49-400. Plus so much more

Sell them to a dealer or local comic shop if you feel overwhelmed. If you sell them yourself, you may end up with 4000 books leftover after the more sellable books are gone.

You could make a post in this thread with several images to give an idea of what you have and say where you are located like that a dealer on these boards could get in touch with you and buy them off you locally.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/46-mixed-age-threads-and-misc/

On 6/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, csaag said:

Well he posted he 'came into them' which doesn't necessarily  imply buying. Could be an inheritance maybe?

Last thing you should do is rush into it if you're not sure of what your doing.

Could be stolen.  'inheritance' is the most common used word for thieves that stole books.