• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why oh why did I throw all those She Hulk #1's and Dazzler #1's across the room?

26 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Only you can answer that

It was long ago but I seemed to remember both those comics were an insult to my senses and they needed to be punished. 

I can't recall reading Dazzler 1.  She-Hulk 1 has one of the most boring origin stories you'll ever read, even if Stan wrote it.

29 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Determine which books are the Dazzler #1's and She-Hulk #1's of today? Put them in a box for 40 years and... :flipbait:

Life is too short for ugliness.

Even books I didn't like got the a decent level of care. I will admit that for some 20 years that I did not bother to bag and board my doubles. Luckily they were stored well and hardly endured any damage along the ones in bags inside the boxes. Now everything is bagged up, organized, cataloged, graded (self), and cherished.

Now granted that I never have held a She Hulk or a Dazzler comic - so I can't judge. But were these poor comics from obtaining collections or did you buy them and then hate them?

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

Even books I didn't like got the a decent level of care. I will admit that for some 20 years that I did not bother to bag and board my doubles. Luckily they were stored well and hardly endured any damage along the ones in bags inside the boxes. Now everything is bagged up, organized, cataloged, graded (self), and cherished.

Now granted that I never have held a She Hulk or a Dazzler comic - so I can't judge. But were these poor comics from obtaining collections or did you buy them and then hate them?

I bought them. 

I have found there are varying emotions when it comes to Dazzler #1 and She Hulk #1: Some people hate them like poison, others just hate them regular. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I bought them. 

I have found there are varying emotions when it comes to Dazzler #1 and She Hulk #1: Some people hate them like poison, others just hate them regular. 

Lots of comics can and do read lousy, despite any financial value collector pursuits may have ascribed to them. You ever try to read Brave and the Bold #34? I love Kubert's cover, and the fact of the return/reinvention of Hawkman, but if ever a book was made for slabbing....

I bought She-Hulk #1 right off the comic rack when I was 12 because I was convinced any comic numbered #1 was going to be worth millions. But when Dazzler #1 came out I bought it and all the issues after (up until the fall of 1983 when I discovered AD&D and gave up comics for a long and storied career as a Dungeon Master) as I was convinced the X-Men connection was going to make them all hugely valuable.

Unfortunately, after hanging onto them and thousands of other near mint Bronze Age books for 20+ years, I sold them all for a pittance on eBay in 2003 in a massive purge of my collection when I finally became sick of (newly single at the time) women coming back with me to my basement suite and wondering what was in all the white longboxes stacked along my bedroom wall.

In hindsight I should have just rented a storage locker... :p

Mike decides it is time to blather on and on about buying comics as a kid for some reason. Sorry in advance

when I was starting out in comics, I was all about quantity and getting as many books as I could afford. Now we are talking 1975-1978 mostly. Main source for my books were off the 7-11 rack where I bought every Marvel superhero comic available (should have been a little more attentive to getting the best copy still there). I also found lots of them through places like flea markets, when we were doing paper drives with the scouts and happening across some books, and from trading with neighbors. Paper routes paid for those kid day wants. I wish we had a decent LCS back then-- and eventually did have one but it was far and the guy was not very friendly at all (prices were insane to even for 1978).

My concern was never what they would be worth  some day. I did take care of them understanding that condition matters in the long run but I never bought any book more than a single copy. Never looked at a purchase as an investment. That includes now. I just like the funny books I guess. And I have recently started buying again (since being back) although nothing super expensive. It is helping me pass the time that I spend pretty much alone quite a lot.

Is Dazzler 1 even worth mentioning alongside She Hulk 1? Dazzler 1 you can buy for $1-$5 tops all the time still. If you are buying for more you are insane. Not a first appearance and if you visit any comic shop they are guaranteed to have multiple copies. As for She Hulk 1 well that’s more understanding. It’s a first app, white cover, homage cover. It had a lot more going for it than people ever gave it credit for even if the series wasn’t great.

Edited by comicginger1789

I only started collecting in 1989, but I put those books in slightly different categories.

I could (somehow) see She-Hulk # 1 becoming valuable -- but I will *never* feel the same way about Dazzler # 1. That book was garbage then; is garbage now; and will still be garbage 20 years from now.

Of course, times change.

About 15 years ago I actually bought 15+ copies of the 1980 Moon Knight # 1 ... as (cough!) an investment -- the same book I laughed at as a kid.

19 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is Dazzler 1 even worth mentioning alongside She Hulk 1? Dazzler 1 you can buy for $1-$5 tops all the time still. If you are buying for more you are insane. Not a first appearance and if you visit any comic shop they are guaranteed to have multiple copies. As for She Hulk 1 well that’s more understanding. It’s a first app, white cover, homage cover. It had a lot more going for it than people ever gave it credit for even if the series wasn’t great.

Yup

And if Dazzler didn’t first appear in X-men 130, I doubt there would have ever been a first issue of her own series.2c

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

Time machine and a head check. That'll do. You'd think a long time OCD suffer and comic collector would know better.

But no. Hate is strong.

Are you really seriously trying to tell me that I can finally recoup my money and get more than cover price for these smelly pieces doggie poo books?  :whee:

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you really seriously trying to tell me that I can finally recoup my money and get more than cover price for these smelly pieces doggie poo books?  :whee:

Yes, I sold a pair of Dazzler #1 and 2 for a lofty $1.50 at the last con. Sat on those treasure$ for about 40 years.