• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with grading some Golden Age comics

8 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone. I recently inherited a few golden age comics and am wanting to send them to CGC for grading / sealing so I can continue to enjoy them and hopefully pass them on to my child when the time is right.

I ordered a small packaging setup from them rated for 1-10 books and I just joined at the $150 membership tier.

1. What exact service do I need to order to have a comic this old Graded and sealed.(Batman 5 and 6 and a couple of others)

1. I saw something on their services about pressing. Is this something I should opt for as well?

2. What cost am I looking at paying per book for grading? The website keeps mentioning values of under a certain amount to choose from. I have no idea how much they're worth so I'm not sure what service to pay for?

I'm a total newbie when it comes to comic grading so anyone with some insight, advice, or personal experience is super welcome to chime in!

For anyone who wants to see the books I'm wanting to send in Here is a link to some pictures I posted.
https://imgur.com/a/WzA5xEq

I wouldn't send any books in to get graded unless I was planning on immediately selling them.  As far as archival storage and preservation, you'd be better buying a pack of golden age Mylite 2s and a pack of Full-Backs and call it a day.  That's really the best way to store books long term if you want to preserve them.  And it's hard to enjoy books while in a slab (there's actually really good stuff inside!).  2c

You're passing Batman #5 & #6 to your son?

He doesn't deserve you.   I think I deserve you much better :)

Preservation is the most important thing since you're talking time frame of decades.  You don't have to have them graded to achieve that.  Plus they could always slab them in the far future - assuming graded comics are still a thing by then.   Maybe even the Newton Ring issue will finally be fixed!

You can achieve preservation and appearance goals just by using a good mylar with an acid free board and keep it in an environment with low light & a constant proper humidity level   (the latter applies to slabs too)

You can try a free site like goCollect.com to see some prices associated with each grade level.    The submission level $$$ amount is more like an insurance amount should something happen to them while in CGC's possession.   It also affects postal insurance coming back to you if you uses USPS

good luck!

16 hours ago, csaag said:

You're passing Batman #5 & #6 to your son?

He doesn't deserve you.   I think I deserve you much better :)

Preservation is the most important thing since you're talking time frame of decades.  You don't have to have them graded to achieve that.  Plus they could always slab them in the far future - assuming graded comics are still a thing by then.   Maybe even the Newton Ring issue will finally be fixed!

You can achieve preservation and appearance goals just by using a good mylar with an acid free board and keep it in an environment with low light & a constant proper humidity level   (the latter applies to slabs too)

You can try a free site like goCollect.com to see some prices associated with each grade level.    The submission level $$$ amount is more like an insurance amount should something happen to them while in CGC's possession.   It also affects postal insurance coming back to you if you uses USPS

good luck!

Thank you a ton for the website to compare quick figures for insurance info.

Nice Books!!!

Whichever way you go, CGC Grading or Mylite and Acid Free Board remember the basics of properly storing comic books.

Away from ALL UV light, Away from All Sources of Heat, Away from Moisture, Stored in a Controlled Environment.

If you want to display the books then you can get UV Protected Frames, even for CGC Graded Books.

Enjoy Those Books!!!

On 7/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Nice Books!!!

Whichever way you go, CGC Grading or Mylite and Acid Free Board remember the basics of properly storing comic books.

Away from ALL UV light, Away from All Sources of Heat, Away from Moisture, Stored in a Controlled Environment.

If you want to display the books then you can get UV Protected Frames, even for CGC Graded Books.

Enjoy Those Books!!!

Do the UV protected frames cover the slabbed books that have been graded? I haven't seen anything like that before.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, EC Star&Bar said:

Those earliest issues of Batman were slightly wider than most Golden Age issues.  You will want to be careful about putting them into sleeves, short-term or long.  The bigger GA issues sometimes benefit from Magazine size boards and sleeves (the next largest common size).

I ran into that problem when I was trying to use the shipping kit I bought from CGC.. I ended up using ziplock bags... felt wrong, but it was better than trying to force them into a sleeve that was definitely not meant for that size.