• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it really a 9.6? I Bought the notes. Notes only say that there is a slight crease on the top left back cover ( which there is). 1) Top right blunted and bent. 2) Whole right side of comic looks trimmed. 3) Bottom left corner of spine ripped.

16 posts in this topic

Did the comic look exactly like this when you purchased it?  If so then that's on you as the buyer.  If the pictures didn't show this and that is what you received then return it.  The book has a miswrap, not a trim, as seen by the white margin on the left side which is why the barcode is cutoff.  That shouldn't affect the grading of the 9.6 (although personally I think it should) and it is a 9.6 not a 9.8 so any other minor flaws is what made is a 9.6.  Grading is subjective and some items are considered manufacturer defects which do not count against the grade.

Sounds like you might need to:

1. do more research on grading and graded comics before buying another

2. do more due diligence like asking for clearer pictures or checking them closer before buying

Welcome to the boards.  They are a great source for researching PRIOR to purchasing.

I finally decided to start getting some of my better comics graded vs buying graded books. With that said, I have been ripped a few times with the old cases. Some people were good at popping them open. Throw a 8.5 or 9 book in it and sell it as the 9.6. It was obvious when I received it something was wrong. Then I learned from the guy at the Vintage store what some people were doing. Send the good book in and get a 9.6 grade with a new slab. These new cases are supposedly harder to do that with.

I have a little over 50 slabs at the moment and this is the first one that I have an issue with.  I do look over the book as best I can, but this one was photographed standing up with a black and white drawing beneath it.  I just missed the torn lower left edge with the design under it. And it would be nice if the graders notes listed the manufacturing defects that he/she has observed.  something like:

MftDe:  Misswrap

MftDe: Bindery tear

And so on.  At least then you would know that the grader has seen it and discounted the negative attribute towards the grading process.

Edited by Fost

9 hours ago, drggrd said:

I finally decided to start getting some of my better comics graded vs buying graded books. With that said, I have been ripped a few times with the old cases. Some people were good at popping them open. Throw a 8.5 or 9 book in it and sell it as the 9.6. It was obvious when I received it something was wrong. Then I learned from the guy at the Vintage store what some people were doing. Send the good book in and get a 9.6 grade with a new slab. These new cases are supposedly harder to do that with.

Proof of this?

That's either a miswrap or shrinkage from pressing; it isn't trimmed.

Also, that bindery defect is allowed at a 9.6 and wouldn't count across the grade. There are a zillion Spiderman 300's with similar ones. 

Top right...maybe shaken comic syndrome. 

On 6/25/2020 at 5:42 AM, drggrd said:

I've never heard of anyone finding a way to pop open a case without visibly damaging the case.  Do you have any proof beyond some guy at the vintage store?

On 6/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, Fost said:

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.e8d4998ab6194f36e132f1851762fea3.JPGIMG_0325.thumb.JPG.72c3d4f486f8b8b1a6d1db5a84e7b77d.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

I can't tell from these three pictures. Do you have a picture of the upper left corner, specifically the large number inside a box? That will determine if this book is a CGC 9.6 or not. I shall await the photo and your reply.(thumbsu

Bindery tears are common on 9.6s. The top right corner may or may not have happened post grading from shaken slab syndrome. The right side looks fine. 

Edited by kimik

On 6/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, Fost said:

At least then you would know that the grader has seen it and discounted the negative attribute towards the grading process.

You know how you know the graders saw the manufacturing defects and accounted for them (likely by ignoring them) in the grade? The book is encapsulated and has a grade on the label. If you don't believe this, why in the world are you buying CGC-graded comics?

Bindery tears are common, especially on issues with more pages than the standard, like this one.

Miswraps are, unfortunately, quite common as well. :sick:

The only real concern in your pictures is the top right corner, which may have been damaged after the book was graded, as others have mentioned. Then again, it may be the reason the book got a 9.6. I can't even guess which is the case without seeing the whole book.

Yes, it's really a 9.6.

A 9.6 only means that there can be practically no wear and tear from use and handling BUT any defect done through the book's production is allowed. And taht can mean a whole bunch of defects, like the ones on your book. A 9.6 was never going to be perfect, hence why it ain't a 10.

It's similar with 9.8s which can also have chips and tears and such if they are factory defects. If you want a book with 0 defects, buy a 10.