• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 new to me.
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Just now, G.A.tor said:

nice books...unless you are planning to sell them, there is no reason to spend money grading them (imo)

My thinking behind grading them is to

1) get an idea of what they're worth.. I'm an untrained eye so i just honestly have no idea what condition they're in relative to others.

2) i'd like to display them and i dont want people picking them up unless they're crazy protected.. So for conservation of condition.

3 minutes ago, TheBeeman said:

My thinking behind grading them is to

1) get an idea of what they're worth.. I'm an untrained eye so i just honestly have no idea what condition they're in relative to others.

2) i'd like to display them and i dont want people picking them up unless they're crazy protected.. So for conservation of condition.

Going to plug another forum on here that's pretty solid.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

They can give you a ballpark idea of what your books might grade at.  

18 hours ago, TheBeeman said:

Last one.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these.

20200623_123944.jpg

Sweet books to inherit and good advice all around.  Gator is right.  That said, I can see your POV from wanting to show these off to friends sans the inherent risks of mishandling fragile books.

My only sage advice would be to sign up with other collector boards besides CGC and share your scans more broadly before making any decision on encapsulation.  Biases notwithstanding, folks who post here on a regular basis know that sharing images of the competition’s graded books is verboten by policy as is discussing their service favorably.  That is just something to keep in mind.  You can post scans of your CGC graded books here, but not the competition’s.  

On other boards the policies are much more flexible.  Whatever you decide though, it is never recommended to consider PGX as an encapsulation option due to their reputation of mis-grading books. 

BTW,

...WTTB!

Nice books and welcome to the boards. A wonderful inheritance. I know my kids dread the day I kick off...:roflmao:

By the way, that little blinking envelope in the upper right corner are the sharks moving in for the kill...

And, yeah, AFTER you read them, smell them, and hold them a few times, I would also have CGC grade and slab them for their protection and ease of sale just in case you ever need the money or tire of them...

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nice books and welcome to the boards. A wonderful inheritance. I know my kids dread the day I kick off...:roflmao:

By the way, that little blinking envelope in the upper right corner are the sharks moving in for the kill...

And, yeah, AFTER you read them, smell them, and hold them a few times, I would also have CGC grade and slab them for their protection and ease of sale just in case you ever need the money or tire of them...

The funny thing is that I've read digital copies in the past. But the smell is probably my favorite part. I've always loved the smell of old books, even when I was a kid in the library.

Yeah, there is really nothing like the tacktile feel of turning the pages, seeing how the ink permeates the paper and the aroma of old comics. Digital is just such a weak experience. Yeah, you can see the art and read the stories but these wern’t for that. 

Movies are great too but nothing like reading the actual books. Often, with Marvel comics especially, there was a cliff hanger just begging you to wait for and buy the next issue. I remember the day thrill of seeing the next issue on the stands just wondering how the story would turn out. 

5 hours ago, TheBeeman said:

The funny thing is that I've read digital copies in the past. But the smell is probably my favorite part. I've always loved the smell of old books, even when I was a kid in the library.

I like the smell too.  I enjoy the sideways looks I get at shows when I do it. 

I’d slab the Bats 5 and 6 for sure.  Just make sure they’re complete before you do it so you aren’t disappointed.

8 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I like the smell too.  I enjoy the sideways looks I get at shows when I do it. 

I’d slab the Bats 5 and 6 for sure.  Just make sure they’re complete before you do it so you aren’t disappointed.

You just have to be careful sniffing Bats due to the coronavirus.