• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 Press
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I am looking to get opinions from other collectors in regards to this 6.5 CGC ssx4 Hulk 181.  Judging by the graders notes back in 2014, and pictures of this comic, 6.5 seems like a very low grade!  Would you guys suggest a press ( I know many of you frown upon pressing) because I think this could get a bump in grade? Any input is appreciated.

FCEC4FC9-C74D-409B-87CC-BAD2BBD80C94.png

360E5CCF-713F-4251-A65C-133B010E2E76.jpeg

55F45C67-BD51-491E-9744-A4C36A456195.jpeg

Nice book!  In this case, I think it's a bit of a gamble to get it pressed.  I don't know its current value, but it has to be significant.  That determines your pressing and grading cost, as the higher the declared value, the more it costs for both processes, due to it being insured by CGC while it's there. 

You can only have CGC press it, no other 3rd party, because if someone other than CGC takes it out of its current holder, you have lost your signature authentication completely. 

You would be paying the pressing and grading cost, shipping both ways, hoping for a better grade.  The defects in the notes all involve color breaks, which pressing won't remove.  Pressing might improve the overall appearance.  The grade could go either way, or stay the same.  No way to know until the moment of truth.

Unless you are trying to sell it, maybe it's best to just leave it.  It's safe in the holder, and if for your personal collection, there's no reason to grade it again.  Unless it bothers you that you think it should definitely be higher, and looking at it "under-graded" is driving you crazy.

It seems to be spot on graded. The lower right hand corner is bringing it down. You MIGHT be able to get a 7.0 after considerable hassle and cost. Is it worth it? You are lucky to have one that presents so well. I would try to stop seeing it as a possible 9.0 and start to tell yourself you have a 6.5.

Or you could sell it and use the proceeds to get a higher graded copy. I have learned not to jigger my key books until I am in a position to replace it.

close the thread, these guys advised you well! :)

13 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

The defects in the notes all involve color breaks, which pressing won't remove.

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It seems to be spot on graded.

Edited by Bird

On 6/27/2020 at 10:58 PM, Lightning55 said:

Nice book!  In this case, I think it's a bit of a gamble to get it pressed.  I don't know its current value, but it has to be significant.  That determines your pressing and grading cost, as the higher the declared value, the more it costs for both processes, due to it being insured by CGC while it's there. 

You can only have CGC press it, no other 3rd party, because if someone other than CGC takes it out of its current holder, you have lost your signature authentication completely. 

You would be paying the pressing and grading cost, shipping both ways, hoping for a better grade.  The defects in the notes all involve color breaks, which pressing won't remove.  Pressing might improve the overall appearance.  The grade could go either way, or stay the same.  No way to know until the moment of truth.

Unless you are trying to sell it, maybe it's best to just leave it.  It's safe in the holder, and if for your personal collection, there's no reason to grade it again.  Unless it bothers you that you think it should definitely be higher, and looking at it "under-graded" is driving you crazy.

Are you sure?

39 minutes ago, joeypost said:

You can only have CGC press it, no other 3rd party,

21 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Are you sure?

Not entirely.  Just figuring if that comic comes out of the case, it has lost its "chain of custody".  Any similar comic could be substituted. 

But I know you have expertise in this area, so maybe you know of a situation that allows it to keep its authentication.  Like if someone is authorized by CGC to do that process.

15 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Now might be a good time to tell them that you and very few others are authorized to crack and press signature series graded books.

Oops.  Didn't see that post until I posted.  Well, I had a good guess.