• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal stops protection for items bought to resale
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Paypal Policy Update

Effective July 31st, PayPal is no longer offering protection on resale items. According to PayPal, collectibles sold from person a to person b will be considered resale items. 
How will this affect your selling?  Facebook sales?  Instagram sales?  Mercari?  

Any other payment processors out there to look into?

105914881_3007645112687289_538433941288403502_o.jpg

Edited by sd2416

10 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

Paypal Policy Update

Effective July 31st, PayPal is no longer offering protection on resale items. According to PayPal, collectibles sold from person a to person b will be considered resale items. 
How will this affect your selling?  Facebook sales?  Instagram sales?  Mercari?  

Any other payment processors out there to look into?

Where do they define 'sold collecibles' to be considered 'items intended for resale?'

I'm only seeing this...

We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program.

4 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

see the picture where someone posed a scenario to them.  Comics/cards, would be the same scenario.  

I'm confused - I'm just reading the link.  What is the pic from?  Is Ashay a Paypal customer service representative?

So you're or PayPal is saying ebay is still protection and can force a refund through PayPal but not the seller?

Or is ebay not going to be able to give refunds to their buyers because the transaction via PayPal doesn't allow protection through resale....

I mean wasn't ebay going to do away with PayPal too? Or am I misremembering?

5 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I'm confused - I'm just reading the link.  What is the pic from?  Is Ashay a Paypal customer service representative?

Picture is someone who chatted with Paypal customer service about the changes in policy

3 minutes ago, sd2416 said:
9 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Picture is someone who chatted with Paypal customer service about the changes in policy

I see.

Amazing.  Thanks for posting this.

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

So you're or PayPal is saying ebay is still protection and can force a refund through PayPal but not the seller?

Or is ebay not going to be able to give refunds to their buyers because the transaction via PayPal doesn't allow protection through resale....

Correct.

Adyen

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol Dang I didn't articulate that well, but

Ebay still has protection for the buyer? even though PayPal doesn't with resale? but the Seller is stuck out? what if ebay sides with the seller? or both buyer and seller?

I guess a simpler question is, how can ebay protect the buyer and initiate a refund for the buyer, if PayPal is not honoring the resale?

Or vice versa with the selller? 

I mean if a buyer gets a refund, and ebay tells the seller to take it up with PayPal, that will just ..... :( 

19 minutes ago, I like pie said:

According to the policy, it doesn't change anything for buyers protection. Either the customer service agent is wrong(most likely) or the policy is.

I thank you for clarification. I figured it was just a mix up, but those times buyers are refunded and seller is not made whole, then I hope PayPal still honore refunding the seller as well....

Seems that is just a sale strategy school101 

Idk:tink:

I've bought a lot though eBay and I think just the thought of their Buyer's protection (and perhaps a negative review) has allowed me to work things out fairly with every seller.  But lately I have been doing direct buy transactions - mostly though members here - and am relying on the protection of PayPal's Goods & Services protection (which costs a steep 5% to the seller) as my personal protection that I'll get what is sold.  What has been ya'll's experience with PayPal for protecting Buyers (and Sellers I guess).  These are becoming regular 4-figure purchases (a lot for me) and it would be good to understand it.  Thanks!!

The way I read it is that seller protection will be reduced. Seems to me that invoices manually prepared on paypal will no longer be offered paypal seller protection. Guess PP is tired of all the FB frauds