• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t Let These Covers Deter You!
1 1

57 posts in this topic

I am sure there are a plethora of great looking covers out there on books with stories or even artwork inside that is just ho hum or even downright terrible.

But what about books with ugly art or covers that actually have great artwork/stories inside? Post your personal favs or examples here!

Also if this is a thread, feel free to redirect me and I’ll go quietly...

5 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

Go ahead, I'm listening....

Another Kneel Atoms monstrosity:
Action Comics 367 - Supergirl - Force Shield - Superman - Superwoman - Speed - Neal Adams

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This actually has some decent Michael Golden art on the inside:

181DE8B9-B21D-4C15-8F86-FDD05EA054E5.thumb.jpeg.ec10e38e0d7b150cfc887d0aad4293e2.jpeg

Great example!  As good as the more obvious Avengers Annual 10.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

Kneel Atoms can do what he wants! lol

he just better watch himself.

While this isn’t a terrible cover, by looking at it you wouldn’t guess there’s Barry Windsor-Smith goodness on the inside:

B9E13B93-A211-48A1-B267-7E72BF443F5A.thumb.jpeg.6db4d509f5098727e35b7fe98f3e4edd.jpeg

Actually, looking at that cover you probably wouldn’t guess that it’s Simonson/Sienkiewicz art either. 

Edited by Number 6

17 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Thinking from the POV of a non-comic reading member of the public, seeing this cover on a rack, unaware that inside is peak period work from a comic artist god, unaware that the preceding cover, a simple silhouette against a lightning bolt, is a brilliantly-designed all-time classic, might there be a chance that they’d look at this scrappy, rough image and move on, missing the brilliant Miller / Janson / Varley pages inside?

I’ve always thought it looks absolutely terrible.

677855.jpg

It does look a bit like a bbbbblllue mmmeeanie!!

downloadfile.gif

32 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It does look a bit like a bbbbblllue mmmeeanie!!

downloadfile.gif

I always found them very disturbing.

Edited by Ken Aldred