• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t Let These Covers Deter You!
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Interesting question. The books that come to mind are over-the-top stuff like some of the Grimm Fairy Tales and a few other newer series.  I wouldn't go so far as to call them "great." Some of the stories were decent, but the covers always looked like a dang adult mag. There were many that I skipped over solely because the covers were too salacious to have laying around for my kids to find.

Edited by rumrunner71

1 minute ago, rumrunner71 said:

Interesting question. The books that come to mind are over-the-top stuff like some of the Grimm Fairy Tales and a few other newer series.  I wouldn't go so far as to call them "great." Some of the stories were decent, but the covers always looked like a dang adult mag. There were many that I skipped over solely because the covers were too salacious to have laying around for my kids to find.

It's the articles. :sumo:

If someone gave me one to read I would, some appear collectible to me, as they often can get 9.9 or 10.

But in a slab they look like preserved art that is too obvious. Odd that we can think that about art today, but golden age gga is :x

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

765143.jpg

Just imagine though if you'd managed to get a Frazetta sketch on this blank?

@oakman29

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Throw in Mad #1-10 too. Mad #10 has one the worst covers I've ever seen.

Kurtzman uses a very minimalist cartoony style on his covers.  I prefer the style he used with his interior art for the science-fiction and war books at EC.  A bit of a sacrilegious opinion to some, maybe.

This one really irritates me...

881025.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:04 PM, HuddyBee said:

Not Jim Aparo's best cover, but some great Irv Novick interiors:

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.02.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.02.12 PM.png

I always enjoyed Aparo's clean designs.  I certainly think their are much worse covers out there.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 6:09 AM, Number 6 said:

While this isn’t a terrible cover, by looking at it you wouldn’t guess there’s Barry Windsor-Smith goodness on the inside:

B9E13B93-A211-48A1-B267-7E72BF443F5A.thumb.jpeg.6db4d509f5098727e35b7fe98f3e4edd.jpeg

Actually, looking at that cover you probably wouldn’t guess that it’s Simonson/Sienkiewicz art either. 

Always thought this cover was sub par.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, Number 6 said:

While this isn’t a terrible cover, by looking at it you wouldn’t guess there’s Barry Windsor-Smith goodness on the inside:

B9E13B93-A211-48A1-B267-7E72BF443F5A.thumb.jpeg.6db4d509f5098727e35b7fe98f3e4edd.jpeg

Actually, looking at that cover you probably wouldn’t guess that it’s Simonson/Sienkiewicz art either. 

At least crack it open & show us:baiting: