• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concerns about sending comics in for grading and is it worth it

24 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2020 at 8:26 PM, csaag said:

Slabbing is worth it for selling IMO.  It removes the worry about having a restored comic and makes it easier to find a price to sell it at

Plus its easier to handle returns and any scam the buyer might pull off or damage during shipping. Hence why it's good for selling. But if you are going to keep the book, then slabbing it is just spending money you could spend on other books instead.

Edited by William-James88

On 6/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, Black_Adam said:

I wouldn't be worried about newton rings, they don't seem to be nearly as big a problem as they were a couple of years ago (though many cases now appear to be scuffed in the inner well - which may be intentional on the part of CGC in an attempt to eliminate the newton ring effect). And $100 to get your GL #76 graded sounds about right - assuming your comic is VF/NM or better.

Like others have mentioned, CGC is almost mandatory for getting fair value when selling any comic worth $200 or more - especially if you are not an established seller. But if your goal is simply to keep and preserve the comics you have collected over the decades, mylars and fullbacks will be a cheaper and, most likely, safer alternative.

Best of luck with the submission, hope they all come back tens! (thumbsu

This intrigued me....

On 6/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, GrandmasterG said:

The more I think about it. I don’t know if I want to chance getting Newton rings (they are unacceptable to me) for what you are paying for, and the risk of my comics getting damaged or lost. These are to me irreplaceable. We’ll see. 

Newton rings are bad... 

image.png.ead5eb203d2bc932590b6e9406e75743.png

...but not as bad as Fig Newton rings. Lesson learned: Never let your little brother read your comics.