• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60s English Price Stamp

38 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I disagree.  Placement of a date stamp should not alter the grade.  You want to talk obtrusive?  How about those hideously ugly signatures that get put on covers willy nilly.  

I like this . . . :grin:

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

It does if you have an unwitnessed artist signature on a cover and request a Blue label. The grade is lowered depending on the size and placement of the signature. Not sure about 7 year old OO signatures, but I would hope they follow the same policy.

Good point.  I meant witnessed signatures when I wrote my post - thanks for clarifying.

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This one below is definitely unobtrusive, as Spidey has to point it out. You'd miss it otherwise :grin:

It actually looks like it's balancing on Spidey's finger, doesn't it?  lol 

I personally see no reason to downgrade the book because of the stamp...just a part of the history, IMO...

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd like CGC to start every book that they grade at a 10.  From there, start listing the defects WITH the numerical point deduction for each.  This way you'd see exactly how they arrived at the grade for a particular book without scratching your head and wondering whether it was actually throwing darts at a dart board in a dark room.

lol

8 hours ago, Stuntman said:

The Yellow SS label is a qualified grade so size and placement don't matter. They grade the book as if the signature is not there.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Of course they don't, since the SS label is a qualified label that completely ignores the signature's impact on the grade.

You're both saying a SS label is a qualified grade and yet these images below suggest not always. The top one (yellow) suggests this is not qualified. What am I missing?

Screenshot_2020-06-28-09-12-56.thumb.png.d69a8147e356bfd20514a7c9755a07cc.png

Screenshot_2020-06-28-09-16-58.thumb.png.368a99adcb16aff5dd70dbfdfd62d963.png

3 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

I think they meant lower “q” qualified.   

Then they should have qualified their statements! :sumo:

We should get an answer tomorrow when Jennifer F dives back into the 'Ask CGC' forum - she's been on a question answering mission lately, so I'm crossing my fingerbobs :wishluck:

Capture.thumb.PNG.66c855f7713c654c5c8f53a39f480632.PNG

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You're both saying a SS label is a qualified grade and yet these images below suggest not always. The top one (yellow) suggests this is not qualified. What am I missing?

It's a special qualified label that automatically ignores only the witnessed additions. Any other defects that would normally get a green label will likely result in the book getting the relatively new yellow/green label.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:27 AM, speople said:

Dunno if you've ever seen any, but in the 60s comics shipped to the UK got an ugly large black price stamp. I have one on an Action Comics 290 that without the stamp would easily get a 9.4. Given that according to census there are no known copies higher mine may be the highest copy out there. But it depends on how CGC will view that price stamp. Anyone got any experience regarding how much or if it all those 60s UK stamps affect a grade ?

(Can't post a scan of the comic as it's currently in the USA awaiting an eventual c&p and submission but here's a pic of a comic with such a stamp)

unnamed.jpg

1557381500_AskCGC29_06_20b.thumb.PNG.37404717b580a8a329d4daeca596844f.PNG

"Good afternoon,

I checked with our graders on this and they advised that yes, we do ignore them in grading and consider them just distribution stamps for books in the UK. But we do not label these books as UK versions or variants.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thanks!"

On 6/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

1557381500_AskCGC29_06_20b.thumb.PNG.37404717b580a8a329d4daeca596844f.PNG

"Good afternoon,

I checked with our graders on this and they advised that yes, we do ignore them in grading and consider them just distribution stamps for books in the UK. But we do not label these books as UK versions or variants.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thanks!"

Nice to see that. Just as it should be!

On 6/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Then they should have qualified their statements! :sumo:

We should get an answer tomorrow when Jennifer F dives back into the 'Ask CGC' forum - she's been on a question answering mission lately, so I'm crossing my fingerbobs :wishluck:

Capture.thumb.PNG.66c855f7713c654c5c8f53a39f480632.PNG

fingerb1.jpg.1fb21d9053b5b2a536e4bcf3a4128d45.jpg