• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressing

7 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2020 at 12:45 AM, chrisandmel said:

What is the difference between pressing and Quickpress?

Pressing includes cleaning and the use of an iron to really flatten out the toughest creases. A quickpress is literally just that, pressing the comic quickly. It will flatten it a bit (like edged and corners) to make it more presentable. It's usually only used on books that already look quite good or after a comic is signed to ensure that any slight crease occuring from signing the name is smoothed out.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:45 AM, chrisandmel said:

What is the difference between pressing and Quickpress?

Pressing is a process that can enhance the appearance of a comic book by removing non-color breaking defects such as dents, bends, crunches, rippling, warping, spine rolls and indentations. It neither adds nor takes away from the comic, making it a non-restorative process that will not make a comic book “restored.” Dry cleaning a comic to remove soiling and any unwanted substance is also considered a non-restorative process, and is included in the CCS pressing service when necessary.

QuickPress is a fast and inexpensive alternative to our multi-step standard Pressing service. It includes the removal of the same defects as regular pressing (dents, bends, crunches, rippling, warping, spine rolls and indentions) and includes dry cleaning as well. For expediency, QuickPress comics only pass through the process once; any remaining defects will not be further treated as they normally would during the full pressing process.

The best candidates for QuickPress tend to be high-grade moderns, which exhibit very few flaws to remove, and mid to low-grade books that have a large number of pressable defects. The QuickPress service is also ideal for raw comics to enhance their appearance in hand.

To maintain the low cost and speed of this tier, CCS does not offer the Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please check all QuickPress submissions to insure the comics are not fragile, including tanning, brittleness, splitting spines, weak staple areas or pieces that are barely attached.

37 minutes ago, ablue said:

I don't know why anyone would go for "quick" there is no such thing. Either its right or wrong

I would go for the quick. It is cheaper. According to them it gives you the same removal of the defects as the regular press. So after the removal of the defects why would I want it to go through the process again? 😁 

Based on my experience pressing comics at home, one press may remove many defects, however some defects require multiple pressings to fully remove them. 

I believe CSS's descriptions of pressing services elude to this. With a quick press most minor defects will be removed but with the full service treatment on a book with significant defects the results would be more thorough. 

Depending on the potential value and number of defects on the book the full service may be worth the additional cost.