• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.2 W/ Cover off center?

16 posts in this topic

Hi All - I’m a complete newb to collecting graded comics and I recently purchased this 9.2 grade comic and later realized that the cover seems off alignment or off center. You can see on right right side the pages are showing. Is this a problem with the comic after grading that I should be worried about? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you! 🙏

1125133C-3EC3-4ADC-9A84-A201C694EC1F.jpeg

Edited by CPThrio

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

You're right, it is a little bit askew.

Should you be worried? Probably not. 

THANK YOU for the response!

I guess my question is whether it seems like the book was graded and then this happened to the cover during slabbing or whether books can be graded 9.2 even with that slanted cover?

10 hours ago, CPThrio said:

THANK YOU for the response!

I guess my question is whether it seems like the book was graded and then this happened to the cover during slabbing or whether books can be graded 9.2 even with that slanted cover?

I would say the book could have been graded a 9.2 with that defect. In fact, that may have been the reason it didn't grade higher. I do see a plastic wedge at the bottom of the well, however. Those can come loose and allow the book to shift downward inside the case. Sometimes just the interior of the book will move downward, but the cover will stay in place, causing damage to the book (usually at the staples). If you see any damage to the wedge or the book, you may need to think about having it reholdered...  hm

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

No, that's a problem the comic had before grading. It does make for an unattractive book compared to other 9.2s out there but a 9.2 grade allows and production defects like this so it makes sense.

Good to know. That makes sense with @Stuntman comment that the cover looks like it was twisted or something while printing. 

Thanks to you, @The Lions Den & @Stuntman for the help! :applause:

8 minutes ago, CPThrio said:

You're a nice person.

He was speaking in general to the public at large. And I get it, every day we see posts like this one where the person is not sure it's the right grade even though it was graded by a professional company which has set standards. And instead of people asking for help understanding why it is a certain grade, they instead go about it by saying that there's a mistake or something is wrong with the comic/slab. It can get a bit tiresome, hence the response.

Edited by William-James88

Just now, William-James88 said:

He was speaking in general to the public at large. And I get it, we see posts like this one where the person is not sure it's the right grade even though it was graded by a professional company which has a set standards.

I'm pretty sure it was at least partially directed at me since it's his only response to my question. Also, I read lots of threads to find an answer before asking and to be fair I wasn't asking if the grade was wrong, but simply whether there was damage to the comic after slabbing, which I've seen happen with other collectors. I was just concerned that I paid for a 9.2 based on the grade, but that it's no longer that worth that grade. Would you say that's not a legitimate question?

I recognize that newb questions like mine can sometimes be annoying, but simply not commenting is free. Being nice and helpful (as you were to me) is of course much appreciated.

1 minute ago, CPThrio said:

I'm pretty sure it was at least partially directed at me since it's his only response to my question. Also, I read lots of threads to find an answer before asking and to be fair I wasn't asking if the grade was wrong, but simply whether there was damage to the comic after slabbing, which I've seen happen with other collectors. I was just concerned that I paid for a 9.2 based on the grade, but that it's no longer that worth that grade. Would you say that's not a legitimate question?

I recognize that newb questions like mine can sometimes be annoying, but simply not commenting is free. Being nice and helpful (as you were to me) is of course much appreciated.

Yes it was directed to you AND a generalized notion of "research before buying".  People join to comment about the condition of a book in relation to its assigned grade and then disappear from the boards after only commenting in their own thread.

I'm sure a lot of sellers here have sold books to buyers who either A) didn't look at the pictures close enough or B) don't know enough about grading and then are unhappy when they receive the book which is no fault of the seller although the sellers have to then deal with those problems.  Everyone needs to start somewhere but i'm not sure "a complete newb" should be buying a 500+ graded book without being more familiar on the grading process or what is acceptable.  Do a lot more research on these boards and elsewhere before jumping into buying graded comics.  That is my 2c.

Welcome to the boards.

3 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Yes it was directed to you AND a generalized notion of "research before buying".  People join to comment about the condition of a book in relation to its assigned grade and then disappear from the boards after only commenting in their own thread.

I'm sure a lot of sellers here have sold books to buyers who either A) didn't look at the pictures close enough or B) don't know enough about grading and then are unhappy when they receive the book which is no fault of the seller although the sellers have to then deal with those problems.  Everyone needs to start somewhere but i'm not sure "a complete newb" should be buying a 500+ graded book without being more familiar on the grading process or what is acceptable.  Do a lot more research on these boards and elsewhere before jumping into buying graded comics.  That is my 2c.

Welcome to the boards.

Well FWIW I don't have any intent on bothering the seller or trying to return it. I'm the type of person who can accept if I made a mistake or bad purchase. I thought it was a fair question but I guess it wasn't. Thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, CPThrio said:

Well FWIW I don't have any intent on bothering the seller or trying to return it. I'm the type of person who can accept if I made a mistake or bad purchase. I thought it was a fair question but I guess it wasn't. Thanks for the help.

It's not a bad purchase if you like it. 9.2-9.6's can have a miswrap as can 9.8's (but shouldn't at that grade IMO). Some people do not like any kind of miswraps while others will only buy white pages. There are so many degrees to collecting etc. Personal preference rules. 

2 hours ago, CPThrio said:

In my view, your question was valid. I hope that all the responses to it were helpful in some way...  :foryou: