• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about CGC holder

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been collecting comics for years and have been recently considering getting some of my collection graded and also possibly purchasing some comics that have already been graded.

On a few graded comics I was considering buying i've noticed plastic tabs on the rear cover (see image). Are these inside the CGC holder? Also why are they on some holders and not others?

Apologies if this has been asked before, i've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks but haven't found an answer.

Thanks in advance.

5442994.jpg

Hi, thanks for the response.

I take it the consensus is that this would effect the desirability of the comic then? As in if you had two available at the same grade you'd want the one without the wedges.

6 minutes ago, Deutero said:

I take it the consensus is that this would effect the desirability of the comic then? As in if you had two available at the same grade you'd want the one without the wedges.

Thats a personal preference, those tabs wouldnt ( and shouldnt) affect the price of a book. A common adage around here I like is "Buy the book, not the slab".

If you are concerned to the point where a wedge protecting your book turns you off, this hobby may not be for you.

I will also tell you that your books are handled bareback and if the grader is feeling dangerous, a Coke Zero will be on the table less than a foot away.

3 hours ago, Deutero said:

Please bear in mind that the wedge is provided as a protective measure to ensure the safety of the book. Occasionally, you'll even see encapsulated books with two wedges. This is normally performed on books that don't properly fit in the inner well. This can be for a variety of reasons, but it's nearly always done in an effort to keep the book from getting damaged. 

It's actually quite common and in my view should be seen as more of a positive than a negative...

4 hours ago, Deutero said:

Would make zero difference to me and 99% of other collectors. 

If anything, I feel better about slabs with tabs. Anything that cuts down on the books movement within the well gives me extra piece of mind. 

I have to confess the first time I saw one of these wedges I thought some kind of glue had been spilled or melted out onto the comic from the slab sealing process. :)  I learned better!  I think generally the wedges don't detract too much and certainly can offer better protection from the book shifting in the well.  Kind of wish they all had them, but I think it's a matter of how thick the book being slabbed is.  One or two of mine have a vertical and a horizontal wedge and I think that book isn't going anywhere.