• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,833 posts in this topic

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

You're spot on with TTA #62

Fantasy Advertiser contained frequent want lists with TTA # 62 prominent.

I have some in my spares with a previously unrecorded stamp, which I will upload as soon as I find them, but it is a needle in a field of haystacks at the moment.

There is an anecdote there, too, but I will leave it until I can find the actual items.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Fantasy Advertiser contained frequent want lists with TTA # 62 prominent.

I have some in my spares with a previously unrecorded stamp, which I will upload as soon as I find them, but it is a needle in a field of haystacks at the moment.

There is an anecdote there, too, but I will leave it until I can find the actual items.

I'll look forward to it Albert. I can't look back on it, as you haven't posted it yet. 

Catch you all later, I'm off for a breath of fresh air pollution. 

No idea, unfortunately. The newsagents of the day did not seem to shelve or rack their comics in any particular order, so, unless you observed the delivery driver, it would be impossible to tell.

The comics, when they arrived, were in a bundle tied up with string, with sheets of cardboard top and bottom. Sometimes you could see the dent made by the string on the top copy.

I suspect they would have been bundled up by the local wholesaler and sent around in batches, varying in number according to the orders placed by each retail outlet.

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The guy who has drawn Jimmy's face should be taken on as a regular.

Do you think he drew the stamp as well? Someone winding us up. 

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's not far off. # 42 should be a 1 stamp, so it is only a couple of months behind.

If it is right, though, it is the earliest recorded JO to be shipped by DC.

The earliest I ever managed to find was # 41.

It's the fly in the ointment isn't it. We can find all the examples we like of late 1959 stamped DC's, but we'll never be 100% sure which cycle they landed in. 

11 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But this cannot possibly be a first use of the 1 stamp, which took place months before this example could have arrived in the UK.

I know. But it could be a third use, or fourth, is what I meant. 

From CGC census:

FF # 1             cents 2456, pence 20

FF # 6             cents 1120, pence 20

FF # 7            cents 798, pence 2

TTA # 62        cents 332, pence NIL

Why Marvel did not send over adequate supplies of FF # 7, I do not know. The result, though, is that FF # 7 as a pence is rocking horse.

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

From CGC census:

FF # 1             cents 2456, pence 20

FF # 6             cents 1120, pence 20

FF # 7            cents 798, pence 2

TTA # 62        cents 332, pence NIL

Why Marvel did not send over adequate supplies of FF # 7, I do not know. The result, though, is that FF # 7 as a pence is rocking horse.

There will always be no pence TTA #62's on the census Albert because they never made none, y' daft apeth. 

Just read UK fanzine Panelologist #2 and it says the Marvel b&w mags were distributed by Gold Star. Just couldn’t get it right could they - 1966 the stickers wouldn’t stay on, 1973 you couldn’t get them off. 
Although it does show that they did have a relationship with Marvel. 

Edited by Garystar

24 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Just read UK fanzine Panelologist #2 and it says the Marvel b&w mags were distributed by Gold Star. Just couldn’t get it right could they - 1966 the stickers wouldn’t stay on, 1973 you couldn’t get them off. 
Although it does show that they did have a relationship with Marvel. 

Capture.PNG.b14246a8c8ba3e698bde821743e2ae65.PNG

On 10/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Now, if anyone can find a triangle stamp on an item which has NOT passed through the hands of T & P, it will shoot down the TTT, and my towel will instantly whizz in.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.698797194d75c7ee399abdf5a00bb9f4.jpg