• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,061 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

You say you're not that interested in mid 1960s comics and as this thread is/was about early T&P imports of  DCs is this one early enough for you?

Worlds Finest 105.png

I am interested in all UK distribution elements and dates - my earlier comment just underlined the focus of this particular thread ('First Official......').

The WF#105 is a known 'earliest stamped' cover date copy, thanks:

Capture273.thumb.PNG.031a087e9fe2c5c7d725458530296037.PNG

Here is a new one to the thread though - Detective #273, newly updated on the above table:

1932904811_1959.11DetectiveComics273Stamp6(1).jpg.bfca1c60e459d4cefea60a0aff1539e8.jpg

It's stamped a six so joins the club with the recent OAAW#89:

Capture.thumb.PNG.6f74e0b2eae4bcfaa5a7d95674184c04.PNG

That brings us up to seven '6' stamped books now. As the numbers increase, how likely is it do we think that all these are actually late second cycle books? If they were the 'first ever', and arrived sequentially first in the UK, it might make sense that the numbers would be comparatively low (to 8 and 9). Maybe the 7 boat sank?

The Detective 273 was listed by the 'Dream Director' on eBay - Duncan is obviously having a clear out. It's a shame to see him list this though, as a key representative of UK comic history:

ukpv.thumb.PNG.cb29ea0ba176592d4b4b00ad69b6040d.PNG

:eyeroll:

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The Detective 273 was listed by the 'Dream Director' on eBay - Duncan is obviously having a clear out. It's a shame to see him list this though, as a key representative of UK comic history:

ukpv.thumb.PNG.cb29ea0ba176592d4b4b00ad69b6040d.PNG

:eyeroll:

I'm puzzled that D McA of all people should refer to this as a "Pence variant".

2 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I'm puzzled that D McA of all people should refer to this as a "Pence variant".

It's the only listing that he has, so it maybe an oversight - perhaps he used a previous template or something. But as I've said before, he tends to confuse the terminology to the degree that gives the impression that he views printed and stamped copies the same. It doesn't help the cause. 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:02 PM, themagicrobot said:

And I'm sure you'll be pleased to add a coloured sticker to your pricetag collection.

There are also green stickers, in different fonts.

And the white stickers have 3 different fonts that I have found so far.

comicstickergrn.jpg

comicstickerwt.jpg

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There are also green stickers, in different fonts.

And the white stickers have 3 different fonts that I have found so far.

comicstickergrn.jpgcomicstickerwt.jpg

Nice. Are the all T&P 10p stamped?

These 'Gold Token' books are odd. A UK publication, with one shilling printed prices and every one stamped an 8:

Capture.thumb.PNG.60958268c2776a077107f83dfa158e2d.PNG

19.thumb.jpg.d59557c6499ce5d48146131aa0dc6559.jpg

An overstock joblot of some kind?

3 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Perhaps it's common knowledge but I must say that I never knew this https://www.ulverscroft.com/history.php

News to me, thanks Robot :)

I had a few Gold Token comics. Mostly Walt Disney Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge (reprints?). If they had a T&P sticker depended where you purchased them from. There were no stamps on the ones I purchased from the toy department of the department store. Perhaps a year later I saw some in newsagents. Evidently T&P had picked up the remainders/returns. 

The same department store was a source of all my Gold Key comics purchased in plastic bags of 3 or maybe 4 assorted comics. My parents took us to the city centre most saturdays and we'd end up in the department store for lunch (and comics). I would always manage a detour to the bus station (although we arrived and returned in a car) as it had a fully loaded spinner rack of Marvels I never saw in my home town.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Without trawling back through endless posts, on what page can I find the most up-to-date array of T & P stamp illustrations, in case I have a couple of variations here?

I haven't updated it for a while, but there's 22 at last count:

1890902475_TPStampTypesGrid-21.thumb.PNG.eee612a85b093d15e4693166b47b1323.PNG

1.jpg.6c5fc22ac410c665d6ee61c5045eec57.jpg

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Also, have we had an 8p sticker yet? I have one here.

Let's see it :)

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This also has 2 shilling diamond stamp, but no T & P.

comicsticker8p.jpg

Very similar to the 6p sticker found on the Gold Keys Albert. 

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

8p or 2 shillings, take your pick.

comicstamp8p.jpg

Those Diamonds always seem - indicatively - to sit alongside an existing stamp don't they