• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,971 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes, I have a few Mark Jewellers examples too, but this particular one is by National Diamond Sales.

I can see that now that you point it out.:smile: I had stopped buying comics in 68/69 so never saw any of these in the wild.

The star stamp signifies that it was sold on a US military base - either in the US or abroad. 
The inserts as you said were also in comics sold on US military bases aimed at service men buying gifts for their wives and girlfriends back home. I used to live not too far from USAF Fairford in Gloucestershire and the inserts turned up quite often - I used to tear them out as they were unwanted adverts. 
Mark jewellers are the most common but national diamond and others turn up. 

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

My followers make me laugh though - over half of them have never made one single comment, or dropped one single like, against anything I've ever done here over four years. Especially cgcmod1, the rotter :grin:

Some just like to watch...:fear:

Anyway, I've been updating the Marvel Key Dates, which have fallen out of date

Thank you, kindly. (thumbsu

It included a free comic, so all is good in the world:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.527e21c05f6f79efce7b9078fc56a35c.jpg

Well, my little bit of it anyway.

Free comic!!! :banana:

13 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:
13 hours ago, Redshade said:

I think that they were called Mark Jewellers Inserts.

Yes, I have a few Mark Jewellers examples too, but this particular one is by National Diamond Sales.

From my old Spidey records:

nds.PNG.cb185036182699ceef66681f352a5ad3.PNG mj.PNG.4d5badbabcaa33ee5c8ab06ab94f562d.PNG

Guys, I didn't expect this thread to take off in the way it has. It's not really a 'brief' review anymore is it and has gone down paths I wasn't expecting, which is nice. Maybe I should retitle it :grin:

Unusually for me though - I'm normally very organised - I've lost track a bit of the various strands. I've got about five related investigation documents / presentations running, which I'm struggling to finish if I'm honest. I can't put my finger on it, but I've lost a bit of my usual focus. Maybe it's the virus, but I feel extraordinarily fed up lately and am struggling with my enthusiasm. I'm looking at a Marvel document right now, I know what I want to do and how to finish it, but I can't be bothered and keep stopping after ten minutes.

Is anyone else feeling like that?

It’s lockdown. All the things I enjoy doing I can’t - no pub, no football, no meeting friends, can’t visit family, no meals out, no gigs, no quiz nights at the pub, but still have to work. Working from home have lost a room which is now filled with work equipment so inconvenienced 7 days a week. Worst of all worlds. 

2 hours ago, Garystar said:

It’s lockdown. All the things I enjoy doing I can’t - no pub, no football, no meeting friends, can’t visit family, no meals out, no gigs, no quiz nights at the pub, but still have to work. Working from home have lost a room which is now filled with work equipment so inconvenienced 7 days a week. Worst of all worlds. 

Drag, isn't it. 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe I should retitle it :grin:

Retire it?

Never!

Not now we are so close to victory, of unravelling the final hidden secrets of the T & P stamp, an accomplishment that will, when completed, rank with the human genome project or Champollion's decipherment of hieroglyphics.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

What you need, mate, is a reminder of some inspiring speeches.

Go on YouTube and put in:

Fight them on the beaches

and

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

or even

Though I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, yet have I the heart and stomach of a king.

But steer clear of

Infamy, infamy!

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Guys, I didn't expect this thread to take off in the way it has. It's not really a 'brief' review anymore is it and has gone down paths I wasn't expecting, which is nice. Maybe I should retitle it :grin:

Unusually for me though - I'm normally very organised - I've lost track a bit of the various strands. I've got about five related investigation documents / presentations running, which I'm struggling to finish if I'm honest. I can't put my finger on it, but I've lost a bit of my usual focus. Maybe it's the virus, but I feel extraordinarily fed up lately and am struggling with my enthusiasm. I'm looking at a Marvel document right now, I know what I want to do and how to finish it, but I can't be bothered and keep stopping after ten minutes.

Is anyone else feeling like that?

Yes, I believe that the medical term for it is "Generally Pissed Off With Everything All The Time". It's an affliction that we crabby old men have to put up with. Chin up and all that Steve.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Retire it?

Never!

Not now we are so close to victory, of unravelling the final hidden secrets of the T & P stamp, an accomplishment that will, when completed, rank with the human genome project or Champollion's decipherment of hieroglyphics.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

What you need, mate, is a reminder of some inspiring speeches.

Go on YouTube and put in:

Fight them on the beaches

and

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

or even

Though I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, yet have I the heart and stomach of a king.

But steer clear of

Infamy, infamy!

OK, I'm over it. Time for a song...

Top 30 Kenneth Williams GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

2 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Yes, I believe that the medical term for it is "Generally Pissed Off With Everything All The Time". It's an affliction that we crabby old men have to put up with. Chin up and all that Steve.

And I'm only 32....

14 hours ago, themagicrobot said:

When I haven't got the attention span to even read a comic I head over to that ultimate timewaster called UToob

Thanks for posting this. I have this record but not having a record player I don’t recall ever hearing it. I never thought to look on YouTube - I thought it was quite good. Despite not being an official Marvel product I recall seeing it get a plug in Marvel comics of the time. 

The eBay seller Stormtro has a lot of very nice old pence copies. I spotted this one in the week and found the rather unusual 9d stamp familiar:

9d.thumb.jpg.f3ecc43f155bb475afdcb946d4556eef.jpg

It seems to be the same stamp type as this 6d version, that exists on a few of my Charltons:

655575785_MyLittleMargie34(Vol.2)February1961(6d).thumb.jpg.3b08c0fd697782f95d261b38c6c99f37.jpg

Quite unusual to see a stamp like that on an early Spidey.

Another T&P stamped racy magazine title, with a nice sale stamp too:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.180c0468087778a349ae1914298a5943.jpg

Amazing how often those shirts would come off isn't it. Dodgy buttons I guess. 

I've posted quite a bit about the 1967 T&P remaindered annuals over in my DC thread. I'll post this example here though as it has a T&P stamped DC and an ACG in it, which is cool:

1738120605_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP1.jpg.b6f6648797191f53a05f32cca473764d.jpg

1572616527_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP2.thumb.jpg.3f25f8afc9a5160e783695c973c44e28.jpg

118408374_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP3.thumb.jpg.72500e96f7fcca7a1e3afcd818a3856b.jpg

1074496060_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP4.thumb.jpg.f9347d6a8fa38c469d8f8b89e2e0d027.jpg

The prices on these are getting quite high now, so they seem to be finding favour with some:

24_11.thumb.PNG.09d5e4d97b54f4181559846e409fedb9.PNG

Were any of you lot successful?

I've been working away quietly on some more documents and presentations by the way, whiling away the hours. Might be a while yet, but I'll post them when they're done....

In respect of one avenue, the aforementioned Stormtro has this nice 10d oblong Spidey up presently:

274016001_AmazingSpider-Man4310dStampExampleB.thumb.jpg.64ca9ab3453dd4d81888498990f64c74.jpg

Quite a nice looking copy

One of my exercises has involved attempting to establish whether a 10d oblong and one shilling circle version exists for every book in the second, two-month UKPV hiatus window - it's progressing nicely and I'll summarise it here when it's done....:

baz.thumb.PNG.f5c8a746151b9f6ec9477634b0dcbcd2.PNG

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've posted quite a bit about the 1967 T&P remaindered annuals over in my DC thread. I'll post this example here though as it has a T&P stamped DC and an ACG in it, which is cool:

1738120605_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP1.jpg.b6f6648797191f53a05f32cca473764d.jpg

1572616527_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP2.thumb.jpg.3f25f8afc9a5160e783695c973c44e28.jpg

118408374_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP3.thumb.jpg.72500e96f7fcca7a1e3afcd818a3856b.jpg

1074496060_MysteryinSpaceAnnualTP4.thumb.jpg.f9347d6a8fa38c469d8f8b89e2e0d027.jpg

The prices on these are getting quite high now, so they seem to be finding favour with some:

24_11.thumb.PNG.09d5e4d97b54f4181559846e409fedb9.PNG

Were any of you lot successful?

I confess, I bought the Mystery In Space Annual. I have never overpaid so much before!