• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,023 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

WHAT'S THIS A PARTY!  I'm always the last to know and Steve never even mentioned me? If you could see me now the tears are streaming down my cheeks  (Face cheeks) I hope I'm still in time to wish all the forum members a most wonderful coming year.:foryou:

Sorry Maurice, it was more a shout out for this particular thread - you know you're always welcome mate :foryou:

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

Best wishes for new year to you too Marwood and all other board members.

Anyway I’ve made the decision to whittle my collection down to stuff I have some attachment to.

It gets to us all in the end Gary - and it can be quite liberating and enjoyable, oddly

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

Waiting to see what your new discoveries are........

Little things here and there that I'd missed along the way. I've plotted Charlton from 1958 all the way to its demise in 1986 as far as UK participation goes and found a few things worth pointing out. Well, to the likes of us at least! 

@Get Marwood & I No problem Steve on a side note I'm always interested in what you post as I love to read about things I never knew.:foryou:  I've recently been buying the Alan Class Marvel covers, yes they might be worthless but on the other hand I enjoy them immensely.  

Edited by tv horror

Just now, tv horror said:

@Get Marwood & I No problem Steve on a side note I'm always interested in what you post as I love to read about things I never knew.:foryou:  I've recently been buying the Alan Glass Marvel covers, yes they might be worthless but on the other hand I enjoy them immensely.  

They're lovely, but you can see through them Maurice.

Alan Class on the other hand, well...  :D

1190378246_alanclass.thumb.JPG.42fabb8e60c2dcc3839b7013a24fc92b.JPG

33 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Alan Class on the other hand, well...  :D

Oops busy day, I've edited it to the right name.:bigsmile: That's a great cover and one I'm on the look out for as I'm sure it will be telephone numbers in value.

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Oops busy day, I've edited it to the right name.:bigsmile: That's a great cover and one I'm on the look out for as I'm sure it will be telephone numbers in value.

Sold it a few years back for fairly little Maurice. Then, after 6 decades of price stagnation, every Marvel cover Alan Class ever made skyrocketed. If you want to make money out of comics, do the exact opposite of whatever I'm about to do. 

I'd quite like either of these Charlton Comics. You have to love their numbering. Number 63 is cover dated July 1980. The previous issue had been published in 1966! The first issue of Battlefield Action was number 16. The numbering continued from Foreign Intrigues, which had continued the numbering from Johnny Dynamite which had continued the numbering from Dynamite comics. 

Battlefield Action 21.jpg

Battlefield Action 63.jpg

20 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

I'd quite like either of these Charlton Comics. You have to love their numbering. Number 63 is cover dated July 1980. The previous issue had been published in 1966! The first issue of Battlefield Action was number 16. The numbering continued from Foreign Intrigues, which had continued the numbering from Johnny Dynamite which had continued the numbering from Dynamite comics. 

Battlefield Action 21.jpgBattlefield Action 63.jpg

Mad weren't they :bigsmile:

A lot of my new mini-discoveries relate to Charlton numbering and cover cosmetics coincidentally. Interesting you posted the blank UPC edition above there - I summarised these last year:

Capture.PNG.e928ca66b5a0ace13393ad6a57c0b09e.PNG

Perhaps I should have posted in your Charlton thread. (I've only just discovered your Charlton thread...these forums aren't all that easy to navigate) 

PS: This weeks cheap comic purchases below. For some reason I find myself drawn to re-owning obscure comics I purchased when they first came out. There are only three issues of Guerrilla War (great title) to collect. Though the numbering did of course continue from Jungle War Stories. And no doubt you have a Dell thread hidden somewhere too?

Guerrilla War.jpg

Air War.jpg

I've just done some calculations on the back of a cigarette packet. Even in my poorest years I must have spent at least £1000 per year on comics over the last 40 years. So I must have spent well over £100,000 on comics up to this point. One day they'll all be thrown into the recycling bins by my family (apart from the 10 that I have actually placed into a little safe that also includes deeds to the house etc). But I don't care and I am pleased that your threads are the anti-matter versions of stuff over at the other side such as the bonkers 

Edited by themagicrobot
spelloing mistak

28 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Perhaps I should have posted in your Charlton thread. (I've only just discovered your Charlton thread...these forums aren't all that easy to navigate) 

Yes, they can take a bit of getting used to. And there are multiple ways to find the same content. 

If you have signatures turned on, you'll see the following at the foot of all my posts:

a.thumb.PNG.21de6fc5f1a74587eb6dfa43547038b6.PNG

Click on any of the seven icons and they'll take you to the relevant pence thread. Morlar takes you to the main page.

Or, click on my avatar to go to my main page:

b.thumb.PNG.d288cd9631f54506195a4412cfcf13be.PNG

From there, the 'About Me' tab has links to most of my threads and the 'Journals' one will take you to the summary pages I've created.

Literally hours of fun if you're bored of watching dry paint stay dry :)

PS: This weeks cheap comic purchases below. For some reason I find myself drawn to re-owning obscure comics I purchased when they first came out. There are only three issues of Guerrilla War (great title) to collect. Though the numbering did of course continue from Jungle War Stories. 

Guerrilla War.jpgAir War.jpg

Nice books. I've been gathering T&P stamped Dell examples and will add these to the pile - they are few and far between, compared to other publishers. More on that later.

28 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

And no doubt you have a Dell thread hidden somewhere too?

Yup :)

15 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

I've just done some calculations on the back of a cigarette packet. Even in my poorest years I must have spent at least £1000 per year on comics over the last 40 years. So I must have spent well over £100,000 on comics up to this point.

I'm sure the average drinker or smoker spends the same on their vices. Comics don't kill you though.

hm

Then again....

One day they'll all be thrown into the recycling bins by my family (apart from the 10 that I have actually placed into a little safe that also includes deeds to the house etc). But I don't care and I am pleased that your threads are the anti-matter versions of stuff over at the other side such as the bonkers 

Thanks. I like to champion that which the majority disregard. It's why I'm so popular here, on the CGC boards. I keep posting about the numbering of Charltons, the indicias of pence Marvels, the overprinted prices of Kings and the differences in 1960s US price fonts. That makes me very popular here, I can tell you :bigsmile:

If you have enjoyed your collecting, and still get a kick out of the obscure, then it was a hundred grand well spent. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The fringes are were the action is. I mean, where else would you find the question 'Why do some Harveys have a TV screen shape around their cover images?" These are the questions we need in comicdom. 

2 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Continue to Champion the Underdog. Or is that Champion the Wonder Horse? Or do I mean Rex the Wonder Dog?

Don't mention other horses. It riles Furious...

Spoiler

bfbye.PNG.ee95e302d62acf64a327df9df58c2fbd.PNG

"Neigh!"

(Translated: "Champion the W:censored:r Horse more like" :mad:)

9 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Harvey comics? Their super heroes reach a new level of bonkersness

Top Secret.jpg

Eye eye! :bigsmile:

I was looking at that title today funnily enough, gathering all the newly listed Miller stamped examples. There's a very interesting one which I'll post when it arrives. I'll be looking to you guys to help me solve a conundrum...

9 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Always loved Rex, real tough series in the UK back in the day :) 

And still absent from the T&P 'first stamped' list...

Capture.thumb.PNG.00f75c763635235d17c4e7bb667a5504.PNG

A very small chance #46 might have made it over, given its November 59 cover date...

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And still absent from the T&P 'first stamped' list...

Capture.thumb.PNG.00f75c763635235d17c4e7bb667a5504.PNG

A very small chance #46 might have made it over, given its November 59 cover date...

Yeah I think it was cancelled at #46, I only have 32 issues and alas no #46 pence or otherwise :( another series I will never complete.