• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,971 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Mr Thorpe said:

Interesting ....

I thought my Detective #310 was unique. Not any more! What's also interesting is that both comics are Dec 1962. The 10d price didn't come in until October 1964. Warehouse find or coincidence? We need more examples!!!!

1962 12 Overprint of old 9d Det 310.jpg

It's reminiscent of this....

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

T & P recycled their stock at intervals, sometimes with the triangular 6d Sale Price stamp (more on this to follow soon), and sometimes, cheekily, with an INCREASE in price.

I'm still waiting for the rant Albert ... :taptaptap:

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Anyway, the pattern holds true and I see that it continues to do so with the later issues you also provided, although I haven't tabled any of them yet. A job for another day....

Today, as it turns out. Well, it's raining so...

Unknown Worlds ran for 57 issues. Here are all the stamped examples I could find, added to Mr T's, for all 1-57 issues plotted over what amounts to 12 cycles of the 1-9 stamp numbering:

1-31.thumb.PNG.e5edbd47af7a4dc7b329b88f6534297e.PNG

32-57.thumb.PNG.e95b79c4dd8a978b46e54087ad78df81.PNG

Based on the monthly stamping event assumption illustration, with the first number one stamp representing a January 1960 'on sale in the UK' date, the issues run for 98 months, and:

• Issue #1 - Cover Date August 1960 goes on sale in October 1960 - a 3 month sequence (August - September - October)
  • Issue #57 - Cover Date August 1967 goes on sale in February 1968 - a 7 month sequence (August - September - October - November - December - January - February)

Or to put it another way:

• There is a 7 year period between the cover dates of #1 and #57 - 85 months inclusive 
  • There is a 7 and a bit years period between the plotted illustrative 'on sale dates' of #1 and #57 - 89 months inclusive

So over a seven year period, for this title, the illustrative stamping events only deviate 4 months from the actual calendar monthly stamping cycle. Broadly speaking therefore, we can say that the shipments of comics to the UK, and their associated T&P stamp numbers, were monthly. 

Coolio in The Glasshouse or what?  :)

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm still waiting for the rant Albert .

It is hardly a rant, but a carefully reasoned out theory, the Tatlock Triangle Theory, or, for the sake of brevity, TTT.

First of all, remembering what was taught to me in my far-off schoolday science lessons. while no number of observations agreeing with a theory is sufficient to prove it beyond doubt, just one observation contradicting it is fatal to the theory.

Now, there are three possible explanations for the triangular stamp:

1) it was applied by the individual newsagent, or possibly a chain of newsagents

2) It was applied by a regional wholesaler or distributor

3) It was applied by Thorpe & Porter themselves

Option 1 I discount immediately, as I bought several such items from various shops independent of each other, miles apart and over a period of years.

Option 2 is a possibility, particularly as no reports have come in of the triangle stamp being seen on items across the country. However, if that were the case, then such wholesalers would have handled stock supplied by people other than T & P, and I have never seen any triangle stamps on non-T & P items.

Option 3 is the one I favour, especially as it is found on publications, other than comics, distributed by T & P. Two examples are attached.

i am convinced, therefore, that the triangle is exclusive to T & P and was used to recycle unsold stock..

Now, if anyone can find a triangle stamp on an item which has NOT passed through the hands of T & P, it will shoot down the TTT, and my towel will instantly whizz in.

Over to the doubters.

comic6dtri1.jpg

magmad6d.jpg

I think you are right, Albert. Too many things point to T&P.

More evidence, although I suppose not absolutely conclusive. This 'Double Double' comics annual was definitely a T&P produced offering. If you look carefully at the centre of the cover between the mace and Hawkman's shoulder there is a familiar triangular stamp!

The thing that puzzles me is that I never actually saw any of these half price comics about as a kid. I obviously didn't get about much in those days. I'm guessing they weren't being sold at newsagents so as not to cannibalise the new full price comic market and they were 'dumped' at market stalls/seaside towns? Anyone actually remember buying one 'new'?

Hawkman (have).jpg

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Now, there are three possible explanations for the triangular stamp:

1) it was applied by the individual newsagent, or possibly a chain of newsagents

2) It was applied by a regional wholesaler or distributor

3) It was applied by Thorpe & Porter themselves

Option 1 I discount immediately, as I bought several such items from various shops independent of each other, miles apart and over a period of years.

Could it be though, that newsagents and outlets ordered them as standard sale stamps from, say, an industry stationery catalogue and that's why you saw them in different areas? 

sale.jpg.ef73ed08a41477e78617457b0bc889bd.jpg s-l1600.jpg.9cc5aff4ac199c2a8c2baef769ce0dff.jpg

Maybe newsagents all used the same stationers? A set of 'Sale Price' stamps with various prices of the day would likely be an item that a stationers would stock for businesses like newsagents I would have thought.

6 minutes ago, Mr Thorpe said:

The thing that puzzles me is that I never actually saw any of these half price comics about as a kid. I obviously didn't get about much in those days. I'm guessing they weren't being sold at newsagents so as not to cannibalise the new full price comic market and they were 'dumped' at market stalls/seaside towns? Anyone actually remember buying one 'new'?

That's what I was thinking - I never saw any of these in London, and they are very few and far between on eBay. T&P was a big enterprise - surely they'd be much more common if they were a part of their sales process?

Some other thoughts - why wouldn't T&P add their 'T&P' logo to the stamp, as they did with all their regular price ones?

If T&P did stamp them, does the likely end to end process make sense:

• Newsagent fails to sell at 5p
  • Returns it to T&P
  • T&P stamp it with a 3p sale stamp
  • Return it to newsagent

Would a newsagent want to buy 'out of date' comics that didn't sell first time around, even at 50% off?

I'm unconvinced Albert.

14 minutes ago, Mr Thorpe said:

More evidence, although I suppose not absolutely conclusive. This 'Double Double' comics annual was definitely a T&P produced offering. If you look carefully at the centre of the cover between the mace and Hawkman's shoulder there is a familiar triangular stamp!

Hawkman (have).jpg

Here's a clearer one - a copy I used to own:

1279756303_WorldsFinest1.thumb.jpg.75ae5269d71b899859430d9dd4f5772d.jpg

37 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It is hardly a rant, but a carefully reasoned out theory, the Tatlock Triangle Theory, or, for the sake of brevity, TTT.

TTTT

Tatlock Triangle Theory Trashed :bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Tatlock Triangle Theory Trashed

It will only be shot down in flames if someone can find a triangle stamp on an item which has NOT passed through the hands of Thorpe & Porter.

Until then, just leave me raving on the sidelines, I have other T & P related fish to fry, but it may take a while to follow up all the threads.

I know I said this a few days ago as well, but with the speed this keeps moving it bears repeating:  Thank you to @Get Marwood & I, @Albert Tatlock, @Mr Thorpe, and everybody else involved in this discussion... It remains utterly fascinating to follow even if I don't have anything to contribute myself!

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It remains utterly fascinating to follow even if I don't have anything to contribute myself!

Don't let that worry you, Eric.

I don't know about the rest of you lot, but I only come here 'cos it stops me getting into worse mischief.

19 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It will only be shot down in flames if someone can find a triangle stamp on an item which has NOT passed through the hands of Thorpe & Porter.

Until then, just leave me raving on the sidelines, I have other T & P related fish to fry, but it may take a while to follow up all the threads.

Then so help me God I will release the hounds of triangular stamp searchiditude! :mad:

comb.io - Another Simpsons Clip Show

19 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Because a T & P stamp was already there, on the comics at least.

Nobody likes a smartarse Albert.

32 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I know I said this a few days ago as well, but with the speed this keeps moving it bears repeating:  Thank you to @Get Marwood & I, @Albert Tatlock, @Mr Thorpe, and everybody else involved in this discussion... It remains utterly fascinating to follow even if I don't have anything to contribute myself!

Nor do we Eric. Interesting, anyway :eek:

27 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Don't let that worry you, Eric.

I don't know about the rest of you lot, but I only come here 'cos it stops me getting into worse mischief.

Four years I've been filling this place with pence crap. And do I get any prizes? Do I Felicity Kendall. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Thorpe said:

In case it's raining again tomorrow, Marwood!

I had a small stack of duplicates, including a stamped #7. I knew these would come in useful one day.

Are you Chuck Rozanski in disguise Mr T? That's a lot of comicana. 

We only need a six now for the set.