• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,976 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

I haunted the local newsagents daily to see if new batches of comics had been added to the spinner rack. In the mid 1960s it would be October or even November before I saw a newly arrived DC with an August cover date. The same went for Marvel comics certainly in the mid 1960s. I remember a friend returning from a holiday in the States with a stack of Marvels dated two or even three months hence from our current date and issue numbers 2 or 3 ahead of new comics I had purchased here that very week. I was amazed as I had no idea they published books with future dates to extend shelf life. I assumed a book sold in August would have an August date displayed. 

I was the same as a kid - June was June, surely! I like how the tables we're populating, factually by the evidence of stamp numbers, tie in with the recollections of those on the ground :) 

Before Comic shops and if they didn't subscribe how on earth did those Stateside kids ensure they regularly acquired their favourite titles? It must have been a nightmare to keep remembering you wanted an issue dated months in the future and even more complicated as many DCs were bi-monthly or a random 8 times a year. And as for Dells published 4 times a year, at age 10 U would have forgotten the comic existed in the 3 month gap, in a timeframe when 12 weekly UK comics would have been purchased. (Here in the UK many kids had comics delivered by the newsagents... no need to hope you'd find an issue of your current favourite).

Looking back, didn't we have the best of both worlds. All the variety of numerous UK comics as well as the four colour wonders from the other side of the Atlantic. Over there they were stuck with Superman etc and missed out on Pow and Wham.

55 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

I remember a friend returning from a holiday in the States with a stack of Marvels dated two or even three months hence from our current date and issue numbers 2 or 3 ahead of new comics

And the DCs in the States would have been 6 months or so ahead of ours.

7 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Before Comic shops and if they didn't subscribe how on earth did those Stateside kids ensure they regularly acquired their favourite titles? It must have been a nightmare to keep remembering you wanted an issue dated months in the future and even more complicated as many DCs were bi-monthly or a random 8 times a year. And as for Dells published 4 times a year, at age 10 U would have forgotten the comic existed in the 3 month gap, in a timeframe when 12 weekly UK comics would have been purchased. (Here in the UK many kids had comics delivered by the newsagents... no need to hope you'd find an issue of your current favourite).

Looking back, didn't we have the best of both worlds. All the variety of numerous UK comics as well as the four colour wonders from the other side of the Atlantic. Over there they were stuck with Superman etc and missed out on Pow and Wham.

We did, well said Robot, well said 

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

PATIENT:    Doctor, Doctor, my memory is getting worse and worse.

DOCTOR:   I see. How long have you had this problem?

PATIENT:    What problem?

Doctor: It's very bad news I'm afraid Mr Jones - you have cancer and Alzheimer's.

Mr Jones: Thank God it's not cancer.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

But this is 1 year before official switch to 10d.

Surely another indication that T & P recycled their unsold stock.

Yep, that's presumably why the 9d was on there to start. Found it's way back in to the mix somehow for a second bite. Every penny clearly counted!

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Stamp the moon!

From T & P instruction manual:

Always find a nice clear light coloured area for your stamp, or collect your cards on the way out.

Disgruntled employees who fell foul of this regulation spent the rest of their last shift applying illegibly smudged stamps.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

From T & P instruction manual:

Always find a nice clear light coloured area for your stamp, or collect your cards on the way out.

Disgruntled employees who fell foul of this regulation spent the rest of their last shift applying illegibly smudged stamps.

:bigsmile:

It's a good job Spidey resumed UKPVs at #28 - where would you stamp this one!

28.thumb.jpg.bd196237c023aa85ddab7fb9c25b9ce2.jpg

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep, that's presumably why the 9d was on there to start. Found it's way back in to the mix somehow for a second bite. Every penny clearly counted!

Aaargg.  "It's" with the apostrophe means "it is". You do not mean "Found it is way ". You need the pronoun "its" without the apostrophe.

Nurse, nurse I think that I need my medication now to stop me being a grammar nazi.

I'll get my coat. Goodnight all,

Edited by Redshade

4 hours ago, Garystar said:

Sgt Fury 87 was one of the early comics I bought, have been keeping an eye half open for a high grade non-stamped copy. 
6ECE53DB-DC2E-4E4D-B69E-119073503292.jpeg.79e6296c58e6ae1f64aa52d3404fe93b.jpeg

That was a classy stamper :grin:

1314815133_SgtFury87un.jpg.34d552b5e91c190cc9104b5a397af36a.jpg2135939823_SgtFury87.jpg.3ebb0f36df1e6a55c14b4a02571d0517.jpg