• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age High Grade Scarcity
1 1

26 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I think it’s because the demand for DC silver is tiny compared to Marvel Silver (for good reason imho).  I’m positive plenty of hg DC raw silver are out there. 

If a 9.0 or 9.0+ SC8 or SC13 turn up you would be amazed what it would go for. Look at what the top Action 242, Flash 123 have gone for in recent years. The people who invented Superman Batman and Wonder Woman have a dedicated deep pocket fan base.

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

These comics were mostly read by young kids.  And read again by young kids.  And passed around to other kids, who read them one handed, with the cover and read pages bent back.  Or taken to school, folded in a back pocket.  As 9 year old comic book readers, we didn't give a second thought to how the books were handled.  And then typically the books were piled on top of the newspapers in the garage to be trashed.  Also before 1963, air conditioning was a scarce commodity, and comics sat around in hot closets and rooms getting nice and toasty.

I was 11 in 1965 and went to my schools Track and Field day (an Australian thing) and bundled up all my Dc and Marvels to keep me amused. I think I loaned them all out that day (always good to build credit with the cool kids), got them all  back but don't think anyone was thinking about spine ticks or spine roll that day. Another good point on storage. The books I have kept from 1964 are still W-OW while many nm books I bought from dealers in the 80s and early 90s have gone Cream or Cream OW. Those first year of storage were so important. I have always kept the first JLA book I bought, #38 and it would grade 1.0 by me, maybe  a dealer could do 1.5, but sell at 1.0 price. I can never remember not reading it with care, but it was read to death and read by many people other than me.

11 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

If a 9.0 or 9.0+ SC8 or SC13 turn up you would be amazed what it would go for. Look at what the top Action 242, Flash 123 have gone for in recent years. The people who invented Superman Batman and Wonder Woman have a dedicated deep pocket fan base.

Don't think the demand side of equation needs debated - many collectors pay a premium for very high grade books from every publisher.

Scarcity seems like it is a function of the supply side, and after seeing pics of BangZoom's collection of GA books a few years back, I would be floored if the same doesn't exist a few times over for SA collections.

-bc

Edited by bc

6 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

If a 9.0 or 9.0+ SC8 or SC13 turn up you would be amazed what it would go for. Look at what the top Action 242, Flash 123

Should have been clearer on my comment. Early DC silver keys in hg raw are not common. My comment was directed more generally to dc silver than to the tip of the spear books. 

4 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Should have been clearer on my comment. Early DC silver keys in hg raw are not common. My comment was directed more generally to dc silver than to the tip of the spear books. 

Sorry may be a knee jerk reaction as a lot of marvel fans are unaware of the demand for high grade early SA DC (which starts at around 7.5 )

Funny, but I am seeing prices move on the secondary Flash keys, while the two main ones settle. SC4 and Flash are coming off very big highs from a few years ago, while, SC8, SC13 and Flash 106, etc creep up. Talking mid grade low grade. A lot of these are still unslabbed.

I suppose by the 60's some were making googly eyes at Action 1 and Tec 27 so it occurred to them this new spider-man fella as goofy as it probly looked back then could have some potential. Same for FF, Hulk, X-men 

There was a popular "Pow Bang Kaboom" Batman show that premiered in ~65 after all and that Superman 50's show

Edited by MGsimba77