• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Sinnott OA
1 1

49 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, mking78 said:

Don't know why I am telling this story.  Maybe sometimes it just great to get near a piece of art, and/or have a brush with one of the masters.  Back in the early 90's I was selling some of my silver age keys and buying art. My friend the late (great) Keith Contarino was brokering a deal with me to buy page 5 of FF5 directly from Joe Sinnott.  Joe asked for 7K and I agreed. Then the price went to 8K and I backed out.  7K for any interior page at that time was really high, guess I just reached my limit.  Wish I had gone higher, but decisions are made in the light of current day.  No regrets, rather no regrets any different than not buying Amazon or Apple stock on offering.  Anyone know what this went for at auction? 

FF-5-Page5.jpg

More then 7 K :/ 

But you have exactly the right attitude about it. A person could go nuts playing the would’ve should’ve game. 

First, thanks for all the kind responses. And to this question:

"Sorry to hear about the last minute price change. One would assume that if a price was agreed upon then it would be honored. Any reason for the last minute price increase?"

That indeed is how my post may read, but truth is it was a very low key transaction.  Keith was beyond reproach, and I have no reason to believe Joe Sinnott was anything else.   I can only guess Keith saw an opportunity for a transaction, he was a (my) dealmaker for many years.

Maybe Joe was having trouble parting with the piece, who knows.  But to be honest I was also just as relieved at "not" paying the $7000 as I was losing the deal. :)  

Nice we can all now enjoy a scan of that FF page in this wonderful digital age.  I have "collected" digital original comic art scans for almost 2 decades, about 1.5Gs worth.  Would be happy to share with anyone if told how to do so.  And would be happy to mail a memory stick of my scans to a reasonable number of people if asked. 

Another small regret is not buying more of those auction catalogs in the 90's. But for their day, they were pricey. They are a treasure trove of artwork sales pre internet, collectables in themselves.  And I bet Alan Light's publication in the early 70's would reveal a lot of "lost" art.  Using my wayback machine (if I ever get it working) to return to those days I would buy almost every comic page in every issue for sale....of course using todays dollars.

Mark

10 hours ago, mking78 said:

...I was also just as relieved at "not" paying the $7000 as I was losing the deal.

That was huge hobby money for the day.

The list of what you could get for that or less against what you couldn't (meaning priced higher) was an approximate ratio of 97:3 ;)

I see art posted here all the time, so I am going to experiment.  I have hundreds art scans I have captured over many years, is it against the rules to post them here to share?  Here goes a small dump of FF Splash pages.  If this is against the rules, I hope the moderators will simply tell me and I will stop.  If this works, and is legal, I will start a new thread and start posting my scans.  If not, my original offer stands for those interested.  Mark

FF-5-Page8.jpg

FF-5-Page14.jpg

FF-5-Page26.jpg

FF-9-Page11.jpg

FF-9-Page18.jpg

FF-9-Page26.jpg

FF-10-Splash.jpg

FF-13-Page14.jpg

FF-14-Splash.jpg

FF-15-Splash.jpg

FF-18-Splash.jpg

FF-20-Splash.jpg

FF-23-Splash.png

FF-33-Splash.jpg

FF-35-Splash.jpg

FF-41-Splash.jpg

FF-42-Splash.jpg

FF-43-Splash.jpg

FF-45-Splash.jpg

FF-48-Splash.jpg

FF-51-Splash.jpg

FF-53-Splash.jpg

FF-55-Splash.jpg

FF-63-Splash.jpg

FF-72-Splash.jpg

FF-81-Splash.png

FF-83-Cover.jpg

FF-88-Splash.jpg

FF-99-Splash.jpg

FF-102-Splash.jpg

FF-Ann2-Splash.jpg

1 minute ago, mking78 said:

I see art posted here all the time, so I am going to experiment.  I have hundreds art scans I have captured over many years, is it against the rules to post them here to share?  Here goes a small dump of FF Splash pages.  If this is against the rules, I hope the moderators will simply tell me and I will stop.  If this works, and is legal, I will start a new thread and start posting my scans.  If not, my original offer stands for those interested.  Mark

FF-5-Page8.jpg

FF-5-Page14.jpg

FF-5-Page26.jpg

FF-9-Page11.jpg

FF-9-Page18.jpg

FF-9-Page26.jpg

FF-10-Splash.jpg

FF-13-Page14.jpg

FF-14-Splash.jpg

FF-15-Splash.jpg

FF-18-Splash.jpg

FF-20-Splash.jpg

FF-23-Splash.png

FF-33-Splash.jpg

FF-35-Splash.jpg

FF-41-Splash.jpg

FF-42-Splash.jpg

FF-43-Splash.jpg

FF-45-Splash.jpg

FF-48-Splash.jpg

FF-51-Splash.jpg

FF-53-Splash.jpg

FF-55-Splash.jpg

FF-63-Splash.jpg

FF-72-Splash.jpg

FF-81-Splash.png

FF-83-Cover.jpg

FF-88-Splash.jpg

FF-99-Splash.jpg

FF-102-Splash.jpg

FF-Ann2-Splash.jpg

Easiest way to share with those who are interested is through google drive. I definitely would be interested. Are they high resolution scans and any scans of full books?