• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this a 9.6?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I've seen CGC do this upon grading.  I do not believe this is SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome) and rather an encapsulation issue.  A couple of things to ask/consider:

1. Was that shown in the picture when you bought the item?  If so, you might want to check closer before buying.  Do not buy and then be upset when it is exactly as shown in the picture

2. If that damage wasn't shown then contact the seller

If that is how the comic came out once produced initially, then a 9.6 would make perfect sense. Also a 9.6 book is not perfect, it can't be. hence why it isn't a 10.0, let alone a 9.8 which would still have a defect. So yeah if that's he only defect on your book, why woudn't it be a 9.6?

It's totally on me.  I bought it already graded and didn't look at it closely.  It's not trimmed, it's kinda just folded over a bit. Not sure a pressing would really fix that without leaving a color breaker and then it wouldn't be a 9.8 anyway.  Wonder what it costs to regrade a book or if it's even worth it.

This seems to be happening more frequently over the past couple of years. As William-James88 states above, I suppose it is possible that if it's the only defect, it could still be considered a 9.6. Personally, in cases like these, I highly doubt that the original grade reflects the damage you see. Your book, as is, looks like a 9.2 - 9.4 in my opinion. Either CGC fumbled when encapsulating (and isn't taking responsibility) or it was damaged somewhere on the road after it left CGC's hands. In any case, we must all inspect CLOSELY before casting our bids, as the cgc grade is no longer (or maybe never was?) an ironclad guarantee. Look at this "9.8" which sold in ComicLink's recent auction (May 2020). Seriously, that's a 9.8?? It sold for $11,305 so apparently someone thinks it's legit (not me, i'd grade it a 7.0, that's ugly!).

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1394426&itemType=0

giantsize2.JPG

giantsize1.JPG

My sense of this situation is that the corner is merely folded over a bit. This could have been caused during encapsulation, but it's more likely to have been caused during shipping. If the book can move around inside the well and there's an overhang to the cover, this kind of damage can easily occur. If this book were mine, I'd contact CGC and find out if I could have the book pressed to fix the damaged corner. Since the book has a white cover, it's unlikely there would be a visible color break to the corner. And as long as there aren't any tears to the cover, the outlook appears favorable for a positive result.