• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Sinnott remembered thread.
2 2

25 posts in this topic

This was the trilogy that started my collecting and Joe was a big part of it. 

My father use to retell "the coming of galactus" to my brother and I as kids. So when I started collecting,  the first key I bought was #48.  I've had that for over 20 years now. 

Joe was a WWII vet and by all accounts a really wonderful man. 

20200626_204305.jpg

The reason I got hooked on comics at age 7 was my first book, FF 172, that was penciled by Perez and inked by Sinnott.  One of the finest comic artists of the entire field IMO -- how many inkers made everyone, including King Kirby, look even BETTER?  Joe had a gift, and he used it beautifully.  The fact that he was also a good-hearted, generous, and courageous person only makes his art and his memory more special.  A true legend.

WoW, there's been some GREAT sketches posted here!!! Thanks so much to all who've shared them!!!! We see the comics all the time, but each sketch is unique, even if they may have similarities in character or pose and I just don't get to see them very often, so thanks again gang!!!!  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:

54 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

There is no doubt, Joe's inks really cleaned up and refined Jack's art, rendering the art in the Fantastic Four with a much more polished and complete look.

The story goes further: when Kirby saw what great work was being done on the inking, he stepped up his pencils. 
Jack, Stan and Joe were the 1927 Yankees of Silver Age Comics!

32 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

The story goes further: when Kirby saw what great work was being done on the inking, he stepped up his pencils. 
Jack, Stan and Joe were the 1927 Yankees of Silver Age Comics!

Also, I think as Jack's work wasn't being spread across so many titles as time went on, he was able to up his game on the few titles left he was doing, so his work tightened up as a result.

57 minutes ago, Martin4 said:

One of the best. A true American hero and Icon. Always stopped to talk to and get his signature at the shows.  A true Gentleman.Thank for your service to America and your great work in comics. Rest in Peace Mr. Sinnott -You will be missed!

Truly, thanks for making the art and stories bigger than the pages they were printed on. A visual and literary odyssey that still enthralls us to this day! 

According to Stan (I forget where I read it or what interview I saw him say it in), all the artists wanted Joe to ink their pencils! It's not hard to understand why! I never had the privilege of meeting him and it's my loss. I AM happy to see an outpouring of affection for his work! Well done boardies!  (thumbsu