• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Simon Court Case Evidence

7 posts in this topic

Around 2001 and during that time, Joe Simon was broiled in a civil court case with marvel, the case is well documented. most of the debate is centered on ownership of the character Captain America. Simon was more than that he also gets credit for creating Blue Bolt. We have a sheet of paper reportedly drawn by Joe Simon and the character is Blue Bolt. 

The evidence stickers affixed to the folded sheet of paper indicate this drawing appeared in court. the two distinguished stickers indicated it was tagged in court as the defendants property, or evidence utilized by the defendant.  

This page has probably been making its way through collectors hands for decades. Now it is in my hands. Does anyone have information on the significance of this drawing? I find the page a little odd. Not because of what it seems to be, but because the tags are for the submission of evidence by the defense, which should be Marvel in this instance. Any thoughts?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Hi Jamie

That is very cool.  I thought the case was mainly over the rights to Captain America so having a Blue Bolt page as evidence is interesting.  

You might post this in the GA forum as well.  Some folks there don't stray into General and lots of knowledge there.

I believe Joe Simon created Blue Bolt as a work for hire, left the book after a year or so and never claimed ownership of the character. Perhaps Marvel was trying to compare the two situations. 

35 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I literally have no idea about the details on this case, but perhaps it was evidence presented by Marvel to prove they owned the character of Blue Bolt in some way.  

Marvel's ownership of Blue Bolt is news to me. I thought it was public domain

20 minutes ago, telerites said:

Hi Jamie

That is very cool.  I thought the case was mainly over the rights to Captain America so having a Blue Bolt page as evidence is interesting.  

You might post this in the GA forum as well.  Some folks there don't stray into General and lots of knowledge there.

Will repost

17 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I believe Joe Simon created Blue Bolt as a work for hire, left the book after a year or so and never claimed ownership of the character. Perhaps Marvel was trying to compare the two situations. 

That would make some sense, but why this page of panels as evidence when there are Blue Bolt comics with Simon and Kirby written on the first page?