• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bidding on Comic Link
1 1

26 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

The bidding this week seems even more fierce than usual.

I bid on over a half dozen books, and bid pretty agressively on 4 of them.

I won none of them and was pretty shocked at some of the prices.

Prices are going strong it seems. I haven't been able to get a good deal for a couple of months now.

The last Clink auction was terrible timing right when the lockdowns were happening. I think the overall results were not so great? Maybe others had a different view? I was 1 for 2 with the one I lost hammering at some crazy as hell ridiculous price! This auction was much stronger from what I've seen at least. I won the only book I bid on with the final hammer at an all time high for the grade. It was just in the 200-300 dollar range but I knew it was heading that way and bid accordingly. I usually bid on one very popular marvel title so I always expect tough competition!

21 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

The bidding this week seems even more fierce than usual.

I bid on over a half dozen books, and bid pretty agressively on 4 of them.

I won none of them and was pretty shocked at some of the prices.

I didn't bid on anything all week then Friday I bid on 15 books. Won 5. Runner up on 7. Two was close on. One I bid 100 and it went for $235. Just everything I was interested in was end of alphabet I guess. Didn't get any unbelievable deals for sure. Fmv or under slightly. No bids over $500 and nothing even luke warm or hot. Every key hot book I seen went for fmv or above. 

19 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I didn't bid on anything all week then Friday I bid on 15 books. Won 5. Runner up on 7. Two was close on. One I bid 100 and it went for $235. Just everything I was interested in was end of alphabet I guess. Didn't get any unbelievable deals for sure. Fmv or under slightly. No bids over $500 and nothing even luke warm or hot. Every key hot book I seen went for fmv or above. 

Checking back on some of the prices it looks like most of the desirable stuff went about 7-15% above FMV, so not quite as bad as it seemed in the heat of the moment, but still not leaving too many deals to be found.

What's interesting to me is how large can the pool of books being speculated on keep growing. With information continuing to constantly trickle out about MCU plans, but with movies pushed so far back, how long can some of these sustain their value?

11 minutes ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Checking back on some of the prices it looks like most of the desirable stuff went about 7-15% above FMV, so not quite as bad as it seemed in the heat of the moment, but still not leaving too many deals to be found.

What's interesting to me is how large can the pool of books being speculated on keep growing. With information continuing to constantly trickle out about MCU plans, but with movies pushed so far back, how long can some of these sustain their value?

I feel the same way about movies being delayed. I sell as soon as they get a big boost anyways even before covid. Any x-MEN or fantastic four keys that got the boost from disney getting the rights are long gone. Put $ to work somewhere else. Not going to bet on them doubling in value again. 

I am not a good source for auction reports. I won't pay attention to anything that has been in a movie or show or speculated on unless it is 30 40 percent under fmv. If I see blade or moon knight or something 10 to 20 percent under value I just keep scrolling so no idea what the final hammer was. But that is rare, I remember seeing most things right around fmv with time remaining. 

On 6/27/2020 at 7:54 PM, Myowncollector said:

If I see blade or moon knight or something 10 to 20 percent under value I just keep scrolling so no idea what the final hammer was.

Why limit yourself to just Blade or Moonknight when there's an even much faster way to get through all of the auction listings?  :gossip:

I simply scroll right through anything that's Marvel plus most of the DC mainstream titles because they are just so common and tend to show up in every single auction out there anyways.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why limit yourself to just Blade or Moonknight when there's an even much faster way to get through all of the auction listings?  :gossip:

I simply scroll right through anything that's Marvel plus most of the DC mainstream titles because they are just so common and tend to show up in every single auction out there anyways.  (thumbsu

I did that tonight. Pretty much skipped the entire night. I jumped ahead 10 pages and it was still amazing Spider-man. Just auction burn out. I looked at  almost every single book the entire auction until tonight. I browse right through the disney and archie. I seen them but very quickly. Don't spend much time with war or romance. I am curious though, like to try to see grade and price as I fly by. Keep thinking I will see a deal on something to flip but not sure if that is possible on clink. 

Plan now is to get a plan for next auction. I am making a alphabetized list of target books and focusing on them mostly. 

Stop driving up the prices way before the auction ends!  Comiclink is smart about it since there is no watch list and you have to bid to place the item on a sort of watch list but I do think collectors play into it and shoot themselves in the foot by driving up the prices before they should.

12 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Stop driving up the prices way before the auction ends!  Comiclink is smart about it since there is no watch list and you have to bid to place the item on a sort of watch list but I do think collectors play into it and shoot themselves in the foot by driving up the prices before they should.

I don't bid until 2 seconds left or less. I have something called pen and paper for a watch list. Or alarm clock. I do know one thing from watching auctions past few nights. If you put it in a slab people will bid on it. 

55 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I've won more auctions this week than in, like, the last 2 years. All tracking bids, all below GPA. Not sure what to make of it.

GPA is either off or you bought something that isnt a hot key. Or you are pleased with 10 or 15 percent off gpa. I didn't notice any great deals but lots of books I have no idea what the value is.

5 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I know nothing of those books but judging by your max bid vs winning bid, you might have to settle for some 9.2s At least 2 guys out there that like the aardvark more than you do. 

Yeah, I thought they went for over value. I own these books right now, just wanted to upgrade. But not paying these prices.

11 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

GPA is either off or you bought something that isnt a hot key. Or you are pleased with 10 or 15 percent off gpa. I didn't notice any great deals but lots of books I have no idea what the value is.

A bit of (b) and a bit of (c), I suspect.