• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed]Fantastic Four 1 CGC 4.0 ow
2 2

33 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Parker1966 said:

Thanks, was a little disappointed when it came back...was hoping for a 5.0....thought 4.5 min.

Yeah, I can easily see how you'd think that was a lock. Since it sounds like you personally had it graded, did the graders notes reveal anything to justify their grade? That's the nicest looking 4.0 FF #1 I recall having ever seen. GLWTS!!! (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Yeah, I can easily see how you'd think that was a lock. Since it sounds like you personally had it graded, did the graders notes reveal anything to justify their grade? That's the nicest looking 4.0 FF #1 I recall having ever seen. GLWTS!!! (thumbsu

Nothing internally wrong that you can’t see...that’s what got me!

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Presents super nice. CGC’s pretty rough on reader creases...appears there may be one?

There are some creases, but was hoping the great color and overall presentation on an almost 60 year old book might warrant some consideration. I sometimes feel like the walk-through books are graded a little more strictly than a regular silver age key, but that might just be my perspective talking.

8 minutes ago, Parker1966 said:

There are some creases, but was hoping the great color and overall presentation on an almost 60 year old book might warrant some consideration. I sometimes feel like the walk-through books are graded a little more strictly than a regular silver age key, but that might just be my perspective talking.

Sorry meant to say subscription crease. And ya never know, very possible a straight resub would yield 4.5. Regardless great book and GLWTS.

Edited by Callaway29

2 hours ago, Parker1966 said:

I think they are overall tougher on white covers personally... but it is a beautiful book!

6 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Sorry meant to say subscription crease. And ya never know, very possible a straight resub would yield 4.5. Regardless great book and GLWTS.

Can someone explain to me how Fantastic Four #1 can have a subscription crease? How would you have a subscription already if this was the first book of the series?

24 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Can someone explain to me how Fantastic Four #1 can have a subscription crease? How would you have a subscription already if this was the first book of the series?

It could have easily been folded in half and placed in a 10 year olds back pocket.  A subscription could also be a general one not necessarily for a series - for example you get 10 random comics each month for a buck  🙏☀️

2 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

A subscription could also be a general one not necessarily for a series - for example you get 10 random comics each month for a buck  🙏☀️

I have not actually seen or heard about this. I just remember all the DC ads where you would get a year's subscription for $1.00.

29 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Can’t answer that...but I just said subscription crease because that’s usually in reference to a full length crease in middle of book...while reader usually refers to along the spine from opening the book aggressively. But we all know readers folded books in half too. I don’t want to highjack the thread but curious if someone else has a different understanding... 

7 hours ago, Parker1966 said:

That may partly be due to the fact that Walkthroughs are finalized by only the most experienced graders. This book presents very well for a 4.0...  (thumbsu

35 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Can’t answer that...but I just said subscription crease because that’s usually in reference to a full length crease in middle of book...while reader usually refers to along the spine from opening the book aggressively. But we all know readers folded books in half too. I don’t want to highjack the thread but curious if someone else has a different understanding... 

I agree with your analysis. And CGC graders will nearly always use the generic term "subscription crease" to describe a long vertical crease in the middle of the cover, even if the crease isn't actually a bona fide subscription crease...