• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed]Fantastic Four 1 CGC 4.0 ow
2 2

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Can someone explain to me how Fantastic Four #1 can have a subscription crease? How would you have a subscription already if this was the first book of the series?

At Roger66 kinda pointed out CGC called it a subscription crease but it was most likely a readers crease. 

If it is a sub crease... and it does look like one.... it could be a promo copy, sent to a few dozen people. They make reference to such copies in some of the Circulation Statements that appeared once a year in most titles. It could also have been sent to a subscriber to a title that had been cancelled. There may be other scenarios that I'm unaware of. I once had an ASM 4 I bought at auction that looked WAY better than the grade. I popped it and found the sub crease. It was an unusual one where the crease was on the back cover instead of the front... and still unpressed. It also had a date stamp on the first page of, IIRC, May 25, 1963 .... which was a week or so prior to earliest reports of it's newstand release. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of of jeses)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

4 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

If it is a sub crease... and it does look like one.... it could be a promo copy, sent to a few dozen people. They make reference to such copies in some of the Circulation Statements that appeared once a year in most titles. It could also have been sent to a subscriber to a title that had been cancelled. There may be other scenarios that I'm unaware of. I once had an ASM 4 I bought at auction that looked WAY better than the grade. I popped it and found the sub crease. It was an unusual one where the crease was on the back cover instead of the front... and still unpressed. It also had a date stamp on the first page of, IIRC, Mat 25, 1963 .... which was a week or so prior to earliest reports of it's newstand release. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of of jeses)(thumbsu

It's got date stamps, so it most likely was on the newsstand.  

6 minutes ago, buttock said:

It's got date stamps, so it most likely was on the newsstand.  

It was on the first page and a subscription copy ... I was thinking possibly a file copy mailed to someone involved with it's creation or production. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

22 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Can someone explain to me how Fantastic Four #1 can have a subscription crease? How would you have a subscription already if this was the first book of the series?

I was just wondering this myself.  I imagine they would advertise a new upcoming series in other books and maybe offer it in their subscription list?

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I was just wondering this myself.  I imagine they would advertise a new upcoming series in other books and maybe offer it in their subscription list?

If that was advertised, I sure never saw it.