• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone remember this rare set?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Since we are currently talking about collectibles on the Beanie Baby thread, does anyone remember the following super-hero card set released in the 70s?

It was a pack featuring almost all the major heroes (some like the Silver Surfer and Sub-Mariner were missing) with power rankings for each. There were something like 4 different grades, with 3 of them being (from memory) Strength, Intelligence and Weapons.

The back of each card was blue with an image of Mephisto's head.

What was interesting was that it was obvious even to a child reader that whoever wrote the description for each character knew nothing about them. For example, Yellowjacket was called "Hornet" and the Moondragon entry she gained her powers from the Moon. Thor was rated the most powerful (with 100 in each category) except in the Weapons category, which apparently only went to 46 (Captain Marvel had the highest rating, with Thor at 45).

The illustrations were simple lifts of famous shots of the characters from the comics, but they were very detailed and very colourful.

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Since we are currently talking about collectibles on the Beanie Baby thread, does anyone remember the following super-hero card set released in the 70s?

It was a pack featuring almost all the major heroes (some like the Silver Surfer and Sub-Mariner were missing) with power rankings for each. There were something like 4 different grades, with 3 of them being (from memory) Strength, Intelligence and Weapons.

The back of each card was blue with an image of Mephisto's head.

What was interesting was that it was obvious even to a child reader that whoever wrote the description for each character knew nothing about them. For example, Yellowjacket was called "Hornet" and the Moondragon entry she gained her powers from the Moon. Thor was rated the most powerful (with 100 in each category) except in the Weapons category, which apparently only went to 46 (Captain Marvel had the highest rating, with Thor at 45).

The illustrations were simple lifts of famous shots of the characters from the comics, but they were very detailed and very colourful.

Any ideas?

http://southafricancomicbooks.blogspot.com/2013/09/monsters-and-superheroes-quartette-top.html

5.jpg

We had this version in the UK, with a Spidey on the back of each card:

Marvel Superheroes Top Trumps Card Game (1977) | 'TAIN'T THE MEAT… IT'S THE  HUMANITY! 

Marvel Superheroes Top Trumps Card Game (1977) | 'TAIN'T THE MEAT… IT'S THE  HUMANITY!

1874788296_SpecialPowers10.thumb.PNG.410345140cb533762caa7f241a234193.PNG

Used to love playing them with my brother - "Special powers eight!"  :grin:

Just now, World Devourer said:

Well, ask and ye shall receive. Many thanks. I appreciate it.

Did you used to win? There was always one card with Physical Strength 1. The Wasp I think. Maybe The Gremlin... hm

Anyway, I always got that damn card. 

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

We had this version in the UK, with a Spidey on the back of each card:

Used to love playing them with my brother - "Special powers eight!"  :grin:

Galactus is there? He would be the top grade in every tier! 

I do like the Heroclix method of dealing with the character: it's a 'Special Rules apply" situation whereby the heroes have to team up and only have so many rounds in which to drive him off Earth. 

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_243.jpg

Edited by World Devourer

10 hours ago, telerites said:

I have the Doctor Who Trump Card Game and played the heck out of it.  Tom Baker still rules.

These pics are not mine as mine is buried in a box.  

whotrumps2.jpg

:cloud9: I had those too. A great Who era.