• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on bidding on a cracked pressed book

12 posts in this topic

A pedigree book I had bid and lost on in March which was a 9.6 white page book has been cracked pressed and resubmitted and is now a 9.8. I just don't think I can bid on the book just knowing it was a 9.6 3 months ago. Has anyone else come up against this scenario? I like the pedigree at 9.6 but I am unsure if I will spend 3 times the money just to have the red copy.

Are you certain it was pressed? What was pressed out of the 9.6 to make it a 9.8? 

Worst then paying 3x for the improved 9.8 would be to pay for the same 9.7

Pedigree doesn't do anything for me. Wouldn't pay extra for it. Just be patient and the right copy will come along one day. If not move on to something else, lots of books out there. If it is that important, then like beyonder said, should have bid more. 

6 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

A pedigree book I had bid and lost on in March which was a 9.6 white page book has been cracked pressed and resubmitted and is now a 9.8. I just don't think I can bid on the book just knowing it was a 9.6 3 months ago. Has anyone else come up against this scenario? I like the pedigree at 9.6 but I am unsure if I will spend 3 times the money just to have the red copy.

Nobody has yet asked this, and although I'm typically against paying 3X 9.6 for a 9.6 that moved up to a 9.8, a determining factor of whether to pass or pay would be: Is this now the only, highest graded 9.8 of this book? 

59 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nobody has yet asked this, and although I'm typically against paying 3X 9.6 for a 9.6 that moved up to a 9.8, a determining factor of whether to pass or pay would be: Is this now the only, highest graded 9.8 of this book? 

There are 4 in 9.8 currently. Early Bronze Age.

56 minutes ago, wombat said:

If you are OK paying that money for a different 9.8 and having no idea if it was pressed or not then why not? If you aren't, there is your answer. 

Right. It’s the knowing that is giving me pause. Not logical I know but it just rubs me wrong as a collector that this is a thing. I am conflicted.