• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of Deacon Frost [CGC Census]

10 posts in this topic

I was curious about this, as I recently discovered that CGC changed its original census - which had been established by at least 2009 - on Tomb of Dracula #45 sometime in 2019.

2009 census: 1st appearance of Deacon Frost. Blade the Vampire Slayer & Hannibal King appearance (link included)

2020 census: Blade & Hannibal King appearance (link included)

I'm curious why CGC felt the need to remove it, as in TOD #13, Frost appears as "The Doctor" in 5 panels with no dialogue, in backstory narrated by Blade, and in TOD #45 we get our first reveal of Deacon Frost in a side characters backstory - the difference here is that Frost is actually introduced by name and appears in two pages.

Tomb of Dracula #13

Spoiler

CcgK6p4u1Gzi1uVs78FYge_my6gIVRfRv-iY_m0azKgYv10ZJfHu8WqZy3Ca0y6LorSlFI0rnZyl=s1600

Tomb of Dracula #45

Spoiler

STcxYvJYJrKns-44OwWeOdSPIWsSYLeeKyYzYPTppp2TYlPR0J5H73jh6s8CPihWcWxwMUtvvDSg=s1600M-6qQRmuUAUHLveqioeelX6udbSvjO6SNzQWCUJRN_2bSVWxcuSbiTDFY-SuQ-vgEsz-5hbbrJiW=s1600

Why did CGC change it? As it was perfectly right the first time.

All comments are welcomed ~

Edited by Bart Allen

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  I forwarded your question over to our graders and they advised that we did briefly list 1st appearance of Deacon Frost, however, we changed that when it was pointed out that the character appears in several issues of Tomb of Dracula prior to that issue (namely #13, 25, 42 and 44)

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

14 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  I forwarded your question over to our graders and they advised that we did briefly list 1st appearance of Deacon Frost, however, we changed that when it was pointed out that the character appears in several issues of Tomb of Dracula prior to that issue (namely #13, 25, 42 and 44)

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thanks a lot, but may you indulge me for a moment?

From the comics you've listed, I'll expand:

1. In Tomb of Dracula #13: "The Doctor" (the 1st cameo appearance of The Doctor, later revealed to be Deacon Frost) in 2 panels with no dialogue, in backstory narrated by Blade.

1. In Tomb of Dracula #25: Frost appears in one panel during a flashback.

2. In Tomb of Dracula #42: there's a cameo of Frost in two-panels (Page 1 and page 2); one in bat form, though his face is covered throughout ~

4. Tomb of Dracula #44: Frost is tracking Blade in a few panels.

5. Tomb of Dracula #45: the first time Frost's name is revealed, a full appearance compared to the others (7+ panels), as well as him being an active influence in the story (unlike those other brief cameos) - (here and here)

What I'm suggesting:

1. Tomb of Dracula #45 to be titled as the "1st full appearance of Deacon Frost", given we get our first reveal of Deacon Frost in a side characters backstory - and that Frost is actually introduced by name and appears in two sizeable pages (more than any of the other three appearances) - and of course, his presence within the title is influencing the story at large.

2. Tomb of Dracula #13 to be listed as "1st cameo appearance of Deacon Frost.", which it certainly is. Frost isn't formally introduced here, and he simply appears as "The Doctor" in few panels, with no dialogue.

3. Both Tomb of Dracula #25 and #42 in being just a standard cameo from Frost (technically The Doctor due to no name reveal until #45).

Edited by Bart Allen

40 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Hello, thanks for your message.  I can certainly forward your request over to our graders for consideration.  Thank you!

Thanks very much, Jennifer, though I was curious could I possibly create another thread later on an entirely different character request (though this one is needed, I do feel) ~

1 hour ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Certainly or you can just email our customer service department at submissions@cgccomics.com and we can then check with our graders from there.

Thanks,

Thanks a lot; I'm just curious if my request to make Tomb of Dracula #45 the "1st full appearance of Deacon Frost" has been sent to the graders for possible consideration? :3

Edited by Bart Allen

• Administrator

Good morning.  Yes, your message has been sent over to our graders.  However, I cannot guarantee that they will be able to accommodate your requests but they will certainly review them. 

Thanks!

On 7/2/2020 at 2:03 PM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning.  Yes, your message has been sent over to our graders.  However, I cannot guarantee that they will be able to accommodate your requests but they will certainly review them. 

Thanks!

Thanks, Jennifer - but this is a completely different inquiry but with CGC recently announcing they're creating a Card Grading system - can the 'Ask CGC' forums be used for Pokemon/MTG card updates and suggestions?