• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Deal with Disputes

18 posts in this topic

So I've been selling CGC books on Ebay for a litttle while with no problem.

Then I sold Thor #337 9.8 and my buyer wanted a return because it has "newton rings."

I clearly stated no returns but decided to let him return it anyway.

I put the book back on and sold it on Buy It Now for $500.  This new buyer receives it and immediately wants a return even though I stated no returns.  HIs complaint is not about Newton Rings (doesn't even mention the Newton Rings)  but is about the minor imperfections that gave it its 9.8 grade.  He called me a liar and told me there is NO way it's a 9.8, maybe a 9.2 he said. 

Again, being fairly new on Ebay and not wanting negative feedback I approved the return request.

Aaargh!!

Is this just normal?

What does one do?

Advice?

Thanks!

Block both buyers. The first one is not a serious CGC collector IMHO if they're refusing books with Newton rings. Those rings are here to stay. The second buyer may have been fishing for a 9.8 at 9.2 prices and hoping for money back. 

And start taking 14 day returns and making sure the buyer pays return shipping. 

48 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Block both buyers. The first one is not a serious CGC collector IMHO if they're refusing books with Newton rings. Those rings are here to stay. The second buyer may have been fishing for a 9.8 at 9.2 prices and hoping for money back. 

Good idea.  Thanks.  I don't know what the second buyer wanted?  He accused me of being dishonest, doctoring my photos and, in some magical way I guess, of putting a faulty comic into a CGC 9.8 holder?

44 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Good idea.  Thanks.  I don't know what the second buyer wanted?  He accused me of being dishonest, doctoring my photos and, in some magical way I guess, of putting a faulty comic into a CGC 9.8 holder?

He is delusional, possibly mentally ill, or is just putting on the pressure in his own dishonest way to scam you into negotiating a partial refund.  He's a menace to society.  Get the comic back and block him. 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Tafkap said:

Then I sold Thor #337 9.8 and my buyer wanted a return because it has "newton rings."

I put the book back on and sold it on Buy It Now for $500.  This new buyer receives it and immediately wants a return even though I stated no returns.  HIs complaint is not about Newton Rings (doesn't even mention the Newton Rings)  but is about the minor imperfections that gave it its 9.8 grade.  He called me a liar and told me there is NO way it's a 9.8, maybe a 9.2 he said. 

Again, being fairly new on Ebay and not wanting negative feedback I approved the return request.

Aaargh!!

Is this just normal?

What does one do?

Advice?

Thanks!

Sadly, these are the games that sellers must deal with today. So many misinformed/uninformed buyers out there.

All you can do is 'suck it up' and block those buyers.

8 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This is an "ok" suggestion, but buyers will complain if they have to pay for return shipping and may end up giving negative feedback anyway. In addition, as a seller, if you want top rated status (which gives you discounts on selling fees) you need to give 30 day returns and free return shipping.

the buyers should be looking at your very large and informative pictures of your books and making better buying decisions.

If they don't like newton rings then don't buy a book that has them. I personally hate newton rings. Not a single one of my slabs has them.

The second buyer bought a CGC 9.8 and once he received it didn't like the book. My advice to that buyer: buy the BOOK not the label.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:02 AM, shadroch said:

I'm amazed so many of you are willing to accept a defect like newton rings.  It is a design flaw, not an Act of God.

And yet... it's still a problem? 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

On 6/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, Artboy99 said:

If they don't like newton rings then don't buy a book that has them. I personally hate newton rings. Not a single one of my slabs has them.

Is this possible!? My observations have led me to believe that books are still coming out of CGC with Newton rings... Am I wrong? 

On 6/30/2020 at 1:02 AM, shadroch said:

I'm amazed so many of you are willing to accept a defect like newton rings.  It is a design flaw, not an Act of God.

I've returned 1 book so far because the amount of newton rings was unacceptable. 

On 6/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

You might be right about being a serious CGC collector. Some, however, are not CGC collectors, but comic collectors who prefer them in CGC cases (crystal clear CGC cases, that is, after all, what they advertise)

8 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Is this possible!? My observations have led me to believe that books are still coming out of CGC with Newton rings... Am I wrong? 

for over a year now all the books I have submitted have returned to me encapsulated in beautiful crystal clear cases without newton rings... just the way CGC advertises them to be. My opinion is no slab should leave their facility with newton rings.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Tafkap said:

The buyers are in the wrong on both counts. BUT if you didn't give a 100% perfect description of the comic including what happens if they don't agree with the CGC grade (which is sweet nothing, they are stuck with the book, no givie backsies) and what kind of defects may be found on the slab, like Newton Rings, then they can attempt a claim and who knows how it can go. It has happened to me. I don't know how it will work out for you on your end. You can say that the G in CGC stands for Guarantee and that if there are any issues with the slab they can contact CGC, that you sell slabs because you yourself trust CGC and the grade is in no way chosen by you or whatever. And when they escalate it, you can then tell e-bay the same thing. The grade is tied to the comic, it is sealed, the person could see what they were buying. And then we'll see what happens. You might still get negative feedback, which sucks.
Anyways, all this to say that it's stuff like this that made me stop dealing through e-bay. There are just too many scammers out there either on the buyer end or selling end and life's too short for it. So I instead sell locally or through local listings (these boards here are a nice place to sell, people know what a slab entails).