• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Action Comics #298...Grade Is In!!!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hey there!!!  I consider myself fairly educated on comic grading, but I haven't reached out to fellow collector's before to see how I compare to that larger pool of knowledge.  Please tell me what you think of my copy of Action Comics #298.  If the lighting isn't good enough, I apologize.  I haven't quite set up a decent spot in the house for taking pictures.  Thanks all!!!  Enjoy!!!:banana:

20200629_092241.jpg

20200629_092249.jpg

20200629_092255.jpg

20200629_092312.jpg

20200629_092327.jpg

20200629_092414.jpg

Edited by Galen130
i forgot to add pics. duh!!!

:bump:

Hey, all.  Kinda hoping I could get a bit more input on this book.  I will have a batch of bronze age heading to CGC by the end of summer, and this will be one of them.

Thanks for looking!!!(thumbsu

On 6/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, Galen130 said:

Hey there!!!  I consider myself fairly educated on comic grading, but I haven't reached out to fellow collector's before to see how I compare to that larger pool of knowledge.  Please tell me what you think of my copy of Action Comics #298.  If the lighting isn't good enough, I apologize.  I haven't quite set up a decent spot in the house for taking pictures.  Thanks all!!!  Enjoy!!!:banana:

20200629_092241.jpg

20200629_092249.jpg

20200629_092255.jpg

20200629_092312.jpg

20200629_092327.jpg

20200629_092414.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why does page 2 of the Super-Powers of Lex Luthor story look extremely white compared to page 3?  Looks like the staples may have been removed and reseated, maybe one or even two replaced.. Not definitely, but a chance of it that bears a closer look. 

Edited by James J Johnson

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Just out of curiosity, why does page 2 of the Super-Powers of Lex Luthor story look extremely white compared to page 3?  Looks like the staples may have been removed and reseated, maybe one or even two replaced.. Not definitely, but a chance of it that bears a closer look. 

It’s already been graded but I don’t have the grade itself yet.  I mentioned in the beginning that I didn’t have the best lighting set up back in June.  That’s a major contrast between the two pages, but the pages actually looked more like page 3.

As for the staples, they were lightly oxidized so I don’t believe they were ever messed with...unless it was years ago before I got it.  As soon as I have the slab in hand, I’ll post pics and any graders notes. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

It’s already been graded but I don’t have the grade itself yet.  I mentioned in the beginning that I didn’t have the best lighting set up back in June.  That’s a major contrast between the two pages, but the pages actually looked more like page 3.

As for the staples, they were lightly oxidized so I don’t believe they were ever messed with...unless it was years ago before I got it.  As soon as I have the slab in hand, I’ll post pics and any graders notes. (thumbsu

i thought it may be that, the degree of rake and difference in distance to the light source making that page 2 appear more like Baxter paper than newsprint!  It's not that exceptionally rare for books to have 2 dissimilar staples, not just dissimilar oxidation rates but the original color and even twists of the staples different. To me, the paper surrounding the staples looks typically similar to when someone replaces or reseats the staples and is all thumbs, or just not precise. Of course, it can be wear, but it's apparent enough here that I'd be looking real close at the crimp at the centerfold and the inside of the cover at those points. That's why I said, Not definite, just a tell for it warranting a closer look. 

14 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

i thought it may be that, the degree of rake and difference in distance to the light source making that page 2 appear more like Baxter paper than newsprint!  It's not that exceptionally rare for books to have 2 dissimilar staples, not just dissimilar oxidation rates but the original color and even twists of the staples different. To me, the paper surrounding the staples looks typically similar to when someone replaces or reseats the staples and is all thumbs, or just not precise. Of course, it can be wear, but it's apparent enough here that I'd be looking real close at the crimp at the centerfold and the inside of the cover at those points. That's why I said, Not definite, just a tell for it warranting a closer look. 

Interesting.  We’ll see if CGC found anything.  I’ll share what I learn.  Thanks!!! (thumbsu

Okay, I have this slab in hand...graded of course.  I’m waiting for graders notes to come from my clean/press guy, since he submitted them for me.  I’ll add those once I have them.  Such a huge delay in getting these back...they were submitted back in September.

BTW, congrats @Motor City Rob

20B8C63F-49ED-4156-8646-EEE692C50D54.jpeg

4 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Okay, I have this slab in hand...graded of course.  I’m waiting for graders notes to come from my clean/press guy, since he submitted them for me.  I’ll add those once I have them.  Such a huge delay in getting these back...they were submitted back in September.

BTW, congrats @Motor City Rob

20B8C63F-49ED-4156-8646-EEE692C50D54.jpeg

I got skillz!!! Congrats!

Here are the notes:

Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines to cover
small split top of spine
staple detached top of back cover
very light creasing to cover
very light staining to cover
very small split bottom of spine

23 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

Motor City...out of curiosity, what made you grade this at 5.0?

Thanks

He mentioned spine splits, which are killer. I was at a 5.5 before scrolling down. Also was hard to tell that the staple was detached at all. Those are the killers, otherwise I think guess in the Fine and upper Fine range would have been spot on!